New Android Phone?

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
My trusty HTC One S is nearing the end of its useful life. The memory is full, it inexplicably heats up (goes north of 43 degrees c when the battery goes below 15%), and the USB port is wobbly so you need to be very precise inserting the power cable.

Time to flog it and replace it.

Contract phones are a waste of time – I phone Ireland a bit and Vodafone charge an extortionate £1/min, other networks are better than that, but still expensive. GiffGaff charge 2p/min for landlines and 8p/min for mobiles.

Does anyone know a reputable site for new (non-refurb) phones. Google shopping used to be great, but now it only returns sponsored links so it’s less reliable for good deals. I think a HTC One M7 or Samsung Galaxy S4 would do the trick (prefer the HTC though). Simply Electronics are good value, but have a shoddy reputation!

Any ideas (gel!?)

vpacalypse

Feb 22, 2009
Visit site
Depending on your budget, I would rather get the moto g or nexus 5.

moto g:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Moto-8GB-Sim-Free-Smartphone-Black/dp/B00ECBREK2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1405675092&sr=8-3&keywords=moto+g

nexus 5:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-Nexus-Smartphone-16GB-Black/dp/B00GDD9N60/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1405675180&sr=8-1&keywords=nexus+5

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
+1 for the above. Or wait a short while for the rumoured Nexus 6. The above 2 options are £00's cheaper and for all practical purposes just as good. (IMHO). You tend to get Android updates quicker on these as well.

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
a colleague has the HTC One m8, with dot matrix cover. It's properly lovely.

I think moving to a plastic phone (from my very tactile HTC One S) would annoy me. If I did, it's propbably the Nexus5 (32gb). That said, as per the original question, is there a particular website that is trustworthy (not based in UAE/Hong Kong) that sells new (not refurbed) phones at market busting rates?

If there isn't, there's a gap in the market for one!

thanks

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
I only buy our tablets / phone direct from Google so I'm no use on other sites I'm afraid. They replaced an 8 month old, broken phone really quickly with no hassle.

Scissor_digits

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Try Clove - http://www.clove.co.uk/

Premium handsets tend to be cheaper than other retailers

Having said that I just bought a Motorola Moto G 4G SIM Free from Phones4u for £139.95 as a backup/standby which included 1 year membership of the Gourmet Society which can be used to get reasonable discounts at restaurants that actually exist

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
thanks, will take a look.

BTW, do I understand you correctly - you spent £140 on a smart phone (tech that goes out of date every 9 months) on the off-chance you might need a new phone at some point??!

Big Aura said:
thanks, will take a look.

BTW, do I understand you correctly - you spent £140 on a smart phone (tech that goes out of date every 9 months) on the off-chance you might need a new phone at some point??!

Top phone. Just got the wife one as she managed to drown her HTC one X. The Moto G is quicker and does just about everything as well as the One X. They have progressed so much since that I would not consider spending the money that the One X originally cost on an Android phone nowadays.

TRENDING THREADS