New Amp with remote control

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I’m getting a bit tired of jumping up and down all the time to change the volume of my amp so I’m thinking of getting a new one that has remote control, perhaps the Marantz PM6004 or the Yamaha AS 500. They can both be found at sub £250 at the moment.
I’m using a Panasonic blu ray DMP BT310 to play CDs and Blu ray music concert discs through a Dac Magic to an Arcam Alpha 5 Plus amp and Tannoy Mercury V4s.

I’m fairly happy with the amp apart from the lack of remote but was thinking… as I paid about £250 for it 15 years ago should I be thinking of paying a lot more than £250 now to keep things relative or will the 2 amps on my shopping list be far better than the Acam anyway?

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I did an audition with the Yamaha AS 500 and I did not like it at all, the speakers were MA RX6. I found the Yamaha very rough, not really like anything, which for me was a bucket of cold water because I love my Yamaha AV receiver.
Consider also the Rega Brio-R (R for remote) :dance:

Cheers

A

Anonymous

HiFiDuffer said:
I’m getting a bit tired of jumping up and down :bounce: all the time to change the volume of my amp so I’m thinking of getting a new one that has remote control

Why would you change the volume of your amp all the time....??? To rob the music from it's dynamics? :shhh:

As far as I remember the Arcam Alpha 5 Plus is a very decent amp with a good phono stage. I really wonder if your two candidates for replacement would be an improvement.

A big PLUS of the Arcam is that it keeps you fit....:cheer:

A

Anonymous

Why would you change the volume of your amp all the time....??? To rob the music from it's dynamics?
shhh.gif

Because when you're living in a house with other people you do. I prefer number 11, where as Mrs Duffer prefers number 8, however if she needs to berate me then number 4 is the preferred figure. (for her) :)

so.. what should I do?

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
HiFiDuffer said:
Why would you change the volume of your amp all the time....??? To rob the music from it's dynamics?
shhh.gif

Because when you're living in a house with other people you do. I prefer number 11, where as Mrs Duffer prefers number 8, however if she needs to berate me then number 4 is the preferred figure. (for her) :)

Plus the neighbours, unless you live in an isolated cottage.

Although I've not heard the 6004 I do have a 6003 and very muscal and controllable it is too at low volumes (sadly my speciality).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts