New amp required after 15 years!

RogerIrrelevant

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
Hi All,

I was very keen in HiFi separates back in the day and still use much of my equipment in various rooms.

I have a champagne coloured Pioneer VSX-909 RDS reciever in my main room that drives an M & K sub (incredible bass) and 5 surround Jamo speakers ( dunno the model without getting them off the wall, but they are THX certified and are quite good).

My Amp does not allow HDMI input, or any of the new Bluray digital sound codecs, so I would like to replace it for one that does and also allows you to send music from your tablet/ or whatever, wirelessly straight to the amp. -( can't remember what this feature is called.)

My query is this. That amp cost about a grand 15 years ago, so would I have to spend similar now to get the same/better quality of sound, or has technology increased so much that a 400 quid amp would suffice nowadays as I have my eye on a couple of Denon amps/receivers in Richer Sounds that are around the 400-600 mark. Any product reccomendations and advice would be much apppreciated.

My budget is around a grand. When I get it I will prolly keep it for another 15 years lol.

Thanks

RogerIrrelevant

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
That's a shame. No one can answer what I thought was a straightforward question?

In case the above was too long I will provide a simple version.

How does an AV receiver (VSX-909 RDS) approx 15 years old and costing £1200 compare to modern AV receivers? Can I get away with spending less these days ie 4-600 quid or will I prolly notice a quality drop?

I am prepared to spend 1200 or so again if I need to , but not if I can get away with it.

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
RogerIrrelevant said:
That's a shame. No one can answer what I thought was a straightforward question?

In case the above was too long I will provide a simple version.

How does an AV receiver (VSX-909 RDS) approx 15 years old and costing £1200 compare to modern AV receivers? Can I get away with spending less these days ie 4-600 quid or will I prolly notice a quality drop?

I am prepared to spend 1200 or so again if I need to , but not if I can get away with it.

have a look at the Denon x4000 reciever which has come down from over a grand to £599 at Peter Tyson. http://www.petertyson.co.uk/ebuttonz/ebz_product_pages/denon_avr-x4000.shtml

or the yamaha is a good 1 at http://www.petertyson.co.uk/ebuttonz/ebz_product_pages/yamaha_rx-a1030.shtml

the Denon lets you stream over Apple airplay, not sure about the yamaha though.

hope this helps

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Another point to consider; if you don't want the latest Dolby atmos or the latest 4k pass through, then any receiver from the 2013/14 range at the above price point will be fine. Most of them have come down from a grand plus anyway, so you'll be getting a good amp for this.

there are other receivers to consider, pioneer, sony, onkyo etc but the above is what I would purchase. I'm lookin at the x4000 to go with my Denon 3313 bd because it has the Denon link.

RogerIrrelevant

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
bigboss said:
Try to arrange some home demos of the AV receivers so you can test with your speakers.

What, They'd let you take it home/fetch it round? Really? I'd have to look for shops in the Northwest/Lancs though. I doubt that shop in Newcastle would be willing to travel so far

RogerIrrelevant

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
Series1boy said:
Another point to consider; if you don't want the latest Dolby atmos or the latest 4k pass through, then any receiver from the 2013/14 range at the above price point will be fine. Most of them have come down from a grand plus anyway, so you'll be getting a good amp for this.

I will have to Google Dolby atmos. 4K can't pass through older models? Shame., I thought if it had HDMI pass through, It'd be ok. I may not bother as The 4K sounds a little too far away for my liking.

Sheesh!, I remember getting my first RGB scart connector and thinking, This is me sorted out for linking up the ps1 and VHS vid. The best connection there is ever going to be.... lol.

THX1139

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
Hi Roger

I asked almost the identical same question on this forum last week, but with a bias to replacing a 13 year old Pioneer THX Ultra AV Receiver / Amp with a non THX one on a more modest budget vs what I paid for my Pioneer back in 2001.

I did a google search on all "AV Receiver Group Tests" from multiple mags and sites over the past 3-12 months, and the best of the sub £1000 category delivered up (in no particular order):- Pioneer SC-LX58, Marantz SR6009, Denon XAVR4000, Yamaha RX-V677, Onkyo TX-NR1010.

I notice your Pioneer VSX was champagne-silver aluminium finish, just like mine. If you happened to match any other hi-fi / AV components from that era you still have, and are bothered about the new amp still matching (whilst being a great amp, not just a nice finish!), then I can tell you from extensive research Marantz are the ONLY manufacturer that still produce in champagne (or gold-silver as they call it) as well and "back-to-80s" black.

Denon and Onkyo produce silver finishes (as well as black) and Yamaha produce silver and black mix.

If Pioneer had produced the new SC-LX58 or LX78 in champagne I would have bought one in a shot, as loved the sound from my old Pioneer. The mid-to high end Marantz's get very good reviews however and have all the future-proofing features you mentioned and more.

I doubt ANY amp (even one for £5k) will be future-proofed for more than 5 years these days in a world of rampant marketing driven forced tech-upgrades. But in terms of usable and reliable for 5-10 years, any of the above should serve you well.

Cheers

T

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
RogerIrrelevant said:
Series1boy said:

I will have to Google Dolby atmos. 4K can't pass through older models? Shame., I thought if it had HDMI pass through, It'd be ok. I may not bother as The 4K sounds a little too far away for my liking.

Sheesh!, I remember getting my first RGB scart connector and thinking, This is me sorted out for linking up the ps1 and VHS vid. The best connection there is ever going to be.... lol.

Well my 2113 Denon will pass through 4k, but only at 30hz and Uses Hdmi 1.4. The new amps will do the same but pass through at 60hz hdmi 2.0. The x4100 Denon will but the x4000 only at 30hz but stil 4k.

The difference I'm not sure of but the 60hz is better and the very latest.

I know with Peter Tyson and richer sounds(check to confirm) you can purchase a reciever and send it back if you are not happy with it. Maybe other shops will do this but please double check before you purchase :)

Series1boy said:
Well my 2113 Denon will pass through 4k, but only at 30hz and Uses Hdmi 1.4. The new amps will do the same but pass through at 60hz hdmi 2.0. The x4100 Denon will but the x4000 only at 30hz but stil 4k.

No. Movies are generally made at 24Hz, which your Denon 2113 will pass through. But most TV programmes are made at 50 or 60Hz, which only the newer AV receivers will pass.

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
bigboss said:
Series1boy said:

No. Movies are generally made at 24Hz, which your Denon 2113 will pass through. But most TV programmes are made at 50 or 60Hz, which only the newer AV receivers will pass.

What ever the "hz" is, mine won't pass through the very latest 4k.

I can always rely on BB to put me right :)

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
bigboss said:
Series1boy said:

im now confused:

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/av-receivers/4k-pass-through-av-receivers

RogerIrrelevant

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for all replies on this thread guys, I really appreciate it. After looking, it is between the Denon 4000 and 4100. I may just bite the bullet and go for the 4100 if I'm gonna keep it for a good while. And its my 40th birthday in November, so why shouldn't i push the boat out, (or hint for a strong subsidy from the girlfriend, lol).

am also glad to see that the tuners on these receivers are not digital. I much prefer the FM ones! :)

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

RogerIrrelevant said:
Cool, I'm not familiar with internet radio, but I'm sure it will be good!

Hundreds of radio stations from all around the world. It's not good, it's great.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts