new amp for PMC 23

spockfish

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
As mentioned by a few of you my new PMC's would force me to update the amp. So here we go: I really need your advise.

Up until now number one on my shortlist is a Naim Supernait. I've heard my speakers on that amp and I was blown away. Second on my list is of course a Rega Elicit. Problem is that although I *love* my Brio, I'm not that impressed with the finishing of Rega equipment. When spending serious money on equipment that is important to me. And then there's Bryston of course. But that's out of my league. The Supernait is the max for me.

So my question is: which amps should I listen to as well? Or is the Supernait in it's pricerange the best pick?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
In that price range, I would listen to:

- Electro ECI-5

- MF M6 Si

- Sugden A21 SE

- Pathos Ethos (a little outside budget)

- Ayre AX-7e

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
If you could hold off now and save up for something more ambitious, a Devialet 120 would be awesome.

Devialet have now made the PMC 23s SAM-ready. That gives a massive extension of LF response and phase correction over the whole FR.

Food for thought, though perhaps not very palatable.

Matt

Only heard the 23s twice. The first time was with a Yam receiver and on the second occasion with the Rega Elicit-R. Both sounded very impressive but... the dem was in isolation at the dealers, so had nothing else to compare with.

Alternatives: Arcams new A49. Usually Arcam and PMC are pretty darn good match.

Depends how far you want to push your budget. At a stretch, I bet my boots Leema Tucana would sound awesome.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Hi Spokfish

I've been keeping this for a "raining day" or someone special, there is a new boy in town and his name is Pathos Classic Remix, is the replacement of my beloved Classic One mkIII.

it has 70wpc at 8ohm and 130w at 4ohms if my mind serves me right. It has a 24/192 DAC built in with optical,coax and usb A and B input, and a hi-end headphone amp.

The pre amplification is pure classe A and A/B power section is MOSFET, known as push pull circuits.

I know Cno likes Pathos amplification and I end up with one due his sujestion, and got off with a very nice demo unit at a bargan price. Love my Pathos and they do a sublime job feeding my dynaudios X12.

I think in your PMC thead we talked about hybrid amps. Have a demo if you can find one in Holland.

I've ask Pathos for the ratail price in their facebook page.

I'm waiting for my Pathos dealer to have one so i can hear it in a home demo... *man_in_love*

eab9970d7920a968fd19838ab3358699_zpsace9c53c.jpg

All posts offered so far have given excellent suggestions. No need to tell you to audition well and as many as you can as all suggestions are going to give you a somewhat different sound to what you are used to with the Rega you have.

I don't think anyone has mentioned the posibility of a Bryston (apart from yourself), second-hand if need be as they have a brilliant warranty and backup service, I'd certainly add that to the shortlist too.

Keep us posted as to your thoughts and progress.
regular_smile.gif

spockfish

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Al ears said:
spockfish said:
yeah i know. and I even think that the Bryston looks good ;-)

But paying additional money for a remote? c'mon....

If your buying second hand just make sure you get one with a remote.. 'corse you could just get off your bum now and again... *biggrin*

hehe. for that I've got my Rega RP3. But on a more serious note: I tend to increase the volume continuously during my listening sessions. Altough the PMC's have reduced this behaviour a little bit because they sound good too at lower volumes.

Hi Al ears

I believe Hegel's H100 amplifier is/will be discontinued. The H100 will be replaced by the new H160 amp/DAC which will feature also feature Apple Air Play
shades_smile.gif
The H160 should available next month
thumbs_up.gif

Hegel's integrated amplifier line up will then consist of the H80, H160 and H300 models
regular_smile.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

MUSICRAFT said:
Hi Al ears

I believe Hegel's H100 amplifier is/will be discontinued. The H100 will be replaced by the new H160 amp/DAC which will feature also feature Apple Air Play The H160 should available next month

Hegel's integrated amplifier line up will then consist of the H80, H160 and H300 models

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Thanks Rick, yes I've just read that as well ................... should make the H100 even more of a bargain then *biggrin*

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts