New amp - choose from...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
T

the record spot

Tarquinh:
RS I'd be going with the NAD or the cheaper Yamaha with your speakers. The others from your list would be overkill, and NAD can usually cut it with speakers way above its price. Only heard the Yamaha once and thought it OK. Yamaha gear is usually both well-made and reliable.

Be an interesting comparison with the NAD and the CA 650. I've not heard the latter, but if it's true to the usual CA sound it will be drier and more analytical than the NAD. By the way, Marantz CD players and NAD amplification usually go well together.

The Yammie 2000 might be overkill, however, when it came out it was about £1500...it's rocketed of late as has much gear. I could get it for £699 with a 5 year warranty, and the balance could be good with the SA7001-KI.

Disagree the Leema would be too much for the 752s - you need to hear how good these speakers are. they respond to better quality kit, so I'd be comfortable putting them up with a £1300 amp. Heck, the Q Acoustics 1050i partners the Pulse well and you can snag them for under £200!

I'd heard - or at least got the impression - that the 650 amp was a departure from the CA sound. I don't really need more analytical as the Marantz and the speakers to a degree deliver that in abundance. This is the fine balance bit I'm after. Oh, and not disintegrating the marriage too...!

the record spot:Tarquinh:

RS I'd be going with the NAD or the cheaper Yamaha with your speakers. The others from your list would be overkill, and NAD can usually cut it with speakers way above its price. Only heard the Yamaha once and thought it OK. Yamaha gear is usually both well-made and reliable.

Be an interesting comparison with the NAD and the CA 650. I've not heard the latter, but if it's true to the usual CA sound it will be drier and more analytical than the NAD. By the way, Marantz CD players and NAD amplification usually go well together.

The Yammie 2000 might be overkill, however, when it came out it was about £1500...it's rocketed of late as has much gear. I could get it for £699 with a 5 year warranty, and the balance could be good with the SA7001-KI. Disagree the Leema would be too much for the 752s - you need to hear how good these speakers are. they respond to better quality kit, so I'd be comfortable putting them up with a £1300 amp. Heck, the Q Acoustics 1050i partners the Pulse well and you can snag them for under £200! I'd heard - or at least got the impression - that the 650 amp was a departure from the CA sound. I don't really need more analytical as the Marantz and the speakers to a degree deliver that in abundance. This is the fine balance bit I'm after. Oh, and not disintegrating the marriage too...!

I've heard the Leema, RS, and it's a real stonker. My only reservation is the synergy with the Missions: I know with a smooth CDP the Leema sounded rather good on my RS6s.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
As you already own and like Marantz I'm somewhat surprised you don't include it on the list. I know that on this forum Marantz is usually mentioned in budget terms only, rarely as an upmarket brand but don't forget, they make some serious stuff.

Your description of the Sansui is not that much unlike better Marantz products. Something like a PM8003 would fit in your budget. Good luck mate.

T

the record spot

Fair comment chaps - the partnership with the Leema could be an issue, and it's not that I hadn't considered Marantz, but the 8003 doesn't do much for me somehow. Not sure why, but it's worth checking out. There's a shop in town which has it (The Home Cinema Centre), so might arrange a demo to go along with the Leema if they still have it (ex-dem, last in store).

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
the record spot:Fair comment chaps - the partnership with the Leema could be an issue, and it's not that I hadn't considered Marantz, but the 8003 doesn't do much for me somehow. Not sure why, but it's worth checking out. There's a shop in town which has it (The Home Cinema Centre), so might arrange a demo to go along with the Leema if they still have it (ex-dem, last in store).

Perhaps because the same usual amplifiers are usually mentioned here and the Marantz isn't one of them, therefore lacks in Kudos ...

I havent yet heard it and It could well be that you don't like but it's perhaps worth mentioning that other publications/tests have praised it for musicality, in one case against significantly more expensive products.

I have a feeling that marantz have done themselves a disservice by dropping the KI. moniker, even if he is still involved. Interesting what a little name plate on the front of a component can do ...

jimdonnelly

Jun 22, 2007
Visit site
HiFi Corner have this, ex demo with a two year warranty. In Edinburgh or maybe Falkirk. They aslo have some other good ex dem deals RA05SE (which I like the look of myself), Arcam FMJA18.

T

the record spot

drummerman:

Perhaps because the same usual amplifiers are usually mentioned here and the Marantz isn't one of them, therefore lacks in Kudos ...

I havent yet heard it and It could well be that you don't like but it's perhaps worth mentioning that other publications/tests have praised it for musicality, in one case against significantly more expensive products.

I have a feeling that marantz have done themselves a disservice by dropping the KI. moniker, even if he is still involved. Interesting what a little name plate on the front of a component can do ...

Hi drummerman, the "kudos" element is a non-starter with me; Marantz is a big favourite of mine, having owned a few bits of theirs over the years. Not writing off the 8003, but nowhere locally has it within the budget (£699) and the 7003 won't be the step-up I expect.

I'm also aware that Marantz amps are slightly on the bright side (having owned a 6010-KI recently) and this hasn't changed too much in the intervening years since the 6010/6010KI was released, unless the 8003 is substantially tonally different.

So, likely discounted on grounds of i) cost being over-budget and ii) possibility of not being a good match with the existing equipment.

It's down to a combination of things - I think one of the reasons for budget Marantz and Nad being so popular is down to the reviews. Some people, I believe, misinterprete the phrasing and wording, and as a consequence, assume because it has 5 star status will match perfectly with their current speakers/CDPs.

This is purely my theory.

matthewpiano

Budget Marantz and NAD get so much attention because they are so good!! Both brands make kit which punches well above its price point and products like the 6003 range or the NAD C326BEE represent stonking value for money.

However, it is easy to overlook other brands in the process and I think Rotel are every bit as strong. I'm not as convinced by budget Denon kit but I know some people love it. I also think the Audiolab 8000S gets overlooked all too often. Its a truly great amplifier for the money.

T

the record spot

Yup, the 8000s is on the radar, as is a certain Sony...

T

the record spot

A Sony TA-F3000. Nice amp and there's a guy down the road from me who has one. Decent nick too. Need to hear it with my kit though. If it's too bright, there's no point going with it.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Yup; deffo in agreement with MP re the Audiolab 8000S. It's stonking amp and sounded superb with the M/A RX2's when I demo'd them
emotion-1.gif

Cheap enough to add the matching power amps on as well!

T

the record spot

Yes, the Mezzo 2s I hear are quite bassy speakers, although the Audiolab is more of a lean and mean machine with a nippy agile bass to it by all accounts. The thing is, I need something that's going to bottom out my 752s and CDP, not align itself to that sound. Might need to *** into Retro Reproduction and see what they have from their older kit list.

(Okay, it's secondhand, but he's a good dealer!)

jcoops16

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
The Nad C355bee you have mentioned afew times that you can get from your local Richersounds for £250, is that just your local store price or is that an instore price for the whole chain? As on their website it is £300

T

the record spot

The "this month's Richer Sounds ad in What Hi-Fi Sound and Vision" price!

jcoops16

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for that, I just acquired some Quad 11L2 speakers and was looking at second hand C352's but for an extra 100 odd quid I could be tempted by the newer model hhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmm

T

the record spot

Well, £249, plus £25 for 5 year cover - £275 all in for an amp that was originally nearer £500 not that long ago. Yep, reckon I'd hang on for the extra hundred quid and have the surety of protection that you won't get with the used product.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts