Netgear NAS free hard drive promotion extended to 30/09/2010

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

scene

NSYGrinner:I got one yesterday, not had chance to set it up yet. Is it possible to allow something like remote access over the internet so a particular user could have read only access to certain folders. I'm just asking as the I could allow the brother-in-law to listen to my music on his laptop when he is away from home.
I believe you can do this - unfortunately I'm not at work, so I can't check explicitly. Think it's the "readyNAS remote" functionality you have to install: readyNAS Remote. You might also need uPnP installed on your router, to ensure a static world-viewable address (I think).

A

Anonymous

Thanks. It's still sat in the box at the mo'. You lost me on the uPnP bit there. I have Sky broadband and don't have details to get into the router settings. If the remote access thing is something I can sort out later then I'll cross that bridge later.

scene

NSYGrinner:Thanks. It's still sat in the box at the mo'. You lost me on the uPnP bit there. I have Sky broadband and don't have details to get into the router settings. If the remote access thing is something I can sort out later then I'll cross that bridge later.
Don't worry about it until later...

By the way, default settings for accessing your Sky Broadband router are:

1. Type 192.168.0.1 in your web browser's address bar and you should see a sign-in box.

2. Type the user name which is admin and the password which is sky.

You then have full access to do things on your sky router, which you might need to do to get your files through to the outside world...

A

Anonymous

scene:NSYGrinner:Thanks. It's still sat in the box at the mo'. You lost me on the uPnP bit there. I have Sky broadband and don't have details to get into the router settings. If the remote access thing is something I can sort out later then I'll cross that bridge later. Don't worry about it until later...
By the way, default settings for accessing your Sky Broadband router are:
1. Type 192.168.0.1 in your web browser's address bar and you should see a sign-in box.
2. Type the user name which is admin and the password which is sky.
You then have full access to do things on your sky router, which you might need to do to get your files through to the outside world...

WOW!! Thanks for the info. I must admit I'm in no rush to get things up and running. I haven't got my Sonos yet. Probably see about getting one at the What HiFi sShow next month. If there is a good deal obviously.

Ravey Gravey Davy

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
If you have just got it I am assuming you have got the free drive offer so you should fire it up and make sure it is all ok before sending off the original bar code off the box.Mine started to rip so I cut the top layer of the cardboard off with it.Dealer might be a bit iffy if you send it back with a damaged box.(in the case of failure)

You've also got to send off the form within 30 days of purchase.

scene

scene:Ravey Gravey Davy:Well I've bitten the bullet- should have mine tomorrow. Scene- how long did it take for your free drive to come through??
emotion-10.gif
I have been remiss with my paperwork... Haven't sent it off yet. It's on my to do tonight list...

I wanted to make sure the NAS worked OK before cutting up the box to get the barcode off. They say "allow upto to 28 days", and as I'm going to mirror mine, it's not an urgent thing. Might be different if you want to go RAID0 and get 4TB though. (sorry.)

Really embarrassing thing is I had all the paperwork completed before the NAS was delivered!
An update. I still haven't received my free hard disk
emotion-6.gif
But I did get a phonecall on Thursday from a nice man at NetGear who apologised that I had had to wait so long and that they had been "let down by their supplier". He said they were getting a new load of disks this coming Monday and they should be shipped within two weeks. Ho hum. A little annoying, but it is a freebie, and it's nice to know.

Just in case you haven't had a call and are still waiting...

Ravey Gravey Davy

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
Oooh- Spooky- I thought I would post last night to see whether you had got yours because mine has still not arrived.-but went to bed instead.It would have been a call to Netgear if you had not posted.Now I'll hang fire.
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

My hard drive as not appeared yet either. I posted my form out on the last Monday in September. I notice the offer is back on again until the end of December.

By the way on mine when I try to launch RAIDar to set things on th NAS, I get a bad certificate. Is there any way around this? I'm on a p.c. with Vista and Kaspersky virus protection.

scene

NSYGrinner:
My hard drive as not appeared yet either. I posted my form out on the last Monday in September. I notice the offer is back on again until the end of December.

By the way on mine when I try to launch RAIDar to set things on th NAS, I get a bad certificate. Is there any way around this? I'm on a p.c. with Vista and Kaspersky virus protection.

I did get this, I think it went away when I set local network as Trusted in kaspersky. Or there is the possibility I just accepted it. It's been a while
emotion-10.gif

TRENDING THREADS