Need help with amplifier

Bla

Oct 29, 2020
Visit site
Hello everybody,
I own Focal Chora 826 and need help with amplifier!
It’s for stereo use only and I don’t have specific music that I listen.
I narrowed it down to Cambridge cxa81 or Nad c 388!
I choose these two because the price is in my range and has the features that I prefer!
Did anyone have experience between the two and which one would be more suitable for Focals.
Right now I drive Focals with Cambridge axr100 and I was wondering if any of these two amps will bring more out of my speakers!

Bla

Oct 29, 2020
Visit site
And also I am open to suggestions of other amps that are in $1500 range that match with Focal Chora 826 and bring best out of them !

Bla

Oct 29, 2020
Visit site
Yes brand new bel canto is out of my range but any used ones that you can recommend?
Specific model in mind ,I see there is some on eBay used for around $1000

Clarkey_71

Oct 12, 2007
Visit site
Yes brand new bel canto is out of my range but any used ones that you can recommend?
Specific model in mind ,I see there is some on eBay used for around $1000

A couple to look out for are the C5i or the C7R.

The C5i is the newer model, so prices are holding on the odd occasion they do come up.
The C7R, is probably nearer your budget.

My friend uses Bel Canto. He has an analogue front end as well as a Bel Canto CD player.
I'm not sure from your post what your front end is, but be aware that if it is Analogue, Bel Canto amps are moving magnet. Moving coil would require a phono stage, significantly increasing the price.

If I recall, I'm pretty sure my friend added a power amp at a later stage and used the integrated as the pre amp, so you do have an upgrade path for a later date.

Again, another expense. Us audiophiles love nothing more than to spend other people's money!!!

What we will also always advise is to try and listen to any component before you buy. I have no idea how the Focals and Bel Canto will match.

My friend uses standmounted PMCs, which match well.

My advice is to just research prices from a range of selling websites over a number of weeks and get to know the mean price. It's a big outlay, so take your time. Also try to find out from other Focal users what amps they use.

I've found a review where they use the Cambridge Amp you mention, as well as the Hegel H90.

I hope this helps an good luck!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 160668

There's a Bel Canto on Hifi wigwam at the moment which looks to be an awesome deal for someone. No connection to seller, but worth a look OP if you're thinking of this as an option.

Reactions: Clarkey_71

Bla

Oct 29, 2020
Visit site
That’s why I am exploring my options ,Naim supposedly goes hand in hand with Focals ,but I am open to explor other options as well and possibly hear if a have chance!
Friend of mine told me that Billie amp should go well with Focals as well !
So thank you guys for your info highly appreciated!

TrevC

Yes,now in this crazy times its hard to audition anything !
Thanks
Fortunately amplifiers don't need to be auditioned. You only need a proper technical review. Speakers are best auditioned in your room, because listening in a shop with very different acoustics isn't going to tell you enough.

Bla

Oct 29, 2020
Visit site
I am doing research and trying to narrow down but as more I do research the more amps are popping out and it can be overwhelming at times!

TRENDING THREADS