Need help selecting a Phono Stage

Shylo

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
Seeking inputs / assistance from all the Vinyl pundits out there

I would like to improve the audio quality from my current system while playing vinyls. In my limited understanding, I believe, adding an external phono stage/amp to my system should do the job. Needless to say, I need to keep the costs under control

My current system consists of (a) Rega RP1 turntable (b) Denon PMA 1500AE intgrated amplifier connected to (c) KEF Q7 floorstanders. That's the vinyl bit. Besides that, I play my CDs through a Denon DCD 700AE CD player connected to an Audiolab MDAC

My queries :

1] How good is the in-built phono stage of my Denon amplifier ? Is it good enough to complement my current turntable & speakers ? Would I experience a quantum improvement in the audio output were I to opt for an external phono stage, without upgrading my turntable/speakers ?

2] If I need to opt for a phono stage, which one should I go for ? Which phono stage would best complement my current system and do justice to a better turntable were I to upgrade in the near future ? Should I look at a Rega Fono Mini A2D or something more accomplished like the Leema Elements or a phono stage in between ?

Cheers

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
http://www.gspaudio.co.uk/phono-preamps-and-phono-stages.htm

You could get one of these, or more, on home loan for a couple of weeks and find out for yourself.

GeoffreyW

Sep 17, 2005
Visit site
That's the one I'm thinking of buying, and your comments welcome. I'm currently using a 10x4 high output MC, but need a new card, possibly a 2M Blue, so will be fine with the Fono Mini.

I have a contrasting view. Your Rega is the lead in model, and I'd suggest upgrading the tt and cartridge before upgrading the pre-preamp.

The RP3 will sound much better even with your modest Denon amp. Always improve the source first, as a better phonostage wil only highlight the limitations of the RP1.

Shylo

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
nopiano said:
I have a contrasting view. Your Rega is the lead in model, and I'd suggest upgrading the tt and cartridge before upgrading the pre-preamp.

The RP3 will sound much better even with your modest Denon amp. Always improve the source first, as a better phonostage wil only highlight the limitations of the RP1.

Have taken nopiano's point onboard, however ---

Considering [a] I bought the Rega RP1 as recently as 6 months back and would like to continue with it atleast for another 3-4 years I live in India and to my knowledge we have very limited turntable options here, Rega having no presence at all, it will be a little difficult upgrading my turntable to a desired one [c] Intending to continue with my Denon PMA1500AE amp for a couple of years more, I think an external phono stage over the in-built one would boost audio output --- I would like to work around my current system

Therefore, what would all the vinyl pundits out there say about me opting to [a] replace my current Ortofon 0M5E stylus with an Ortofon OM20 stylus and investing in a Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 SE phono stage [c] Also picking up an Upgrade Rega drive belt (not the entire performance pack) ?

I think this option will additionally help me as I presume the stylus replacement is a simple remove & re-fix job with no further adjustments (tracking force, angle, etc) required (I don't have access to anybody here with a professional understanding of Turntable set-up) .. Correct me if I am wrong

Cheers

Shylo

Shylo

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
Thank you ifor .. I am actively considering investing in the Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 SE once my choice is re-inforced my views from the many vinyl gurus out there :beer: I see tremendous reviews about it in various HiFi mags and across forums .. It seems like you get a mega bang for your buck with this phono stage !!!

Do you think the Gram Amp would continue to do justice to my overall system, in the event of me upgrading my RP1 to either a RP3 RP6 in the future (3-4 years hence) ? Needless to say, I would upgrade my speakers (KEF Q7's) before that

Won't pick your brain anymore .. for now .. Cheers

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
Shylo said:
Thank you ifor .. I am actively considering investing in the Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 SE once my choice is re-inforced my views from the many vinyl gurus out there :beer: I see tremendous reviews about it in various HiFi mags and across forums .. It seems like you get a mega bang for your buck with this phono stage !!!

Do you think the Gram Amp would continue to do justice to my overall system, in the event of me upgrading my RP1 to either a RP3 RP6 in the future (3-4 years hence) ? Needless to say, I would upgrade my speakers (KEF Q7's) before that

Shylo, I would hesitate to claim any expertise, but I have been very pleased indeed with my first two Slee purchases (Reflex M phono stage and CuSat interconnect). I strongly encourage you to sign up to the Graham Slee Owners' Club Forum. You don't have to be an owner to join. Ask the same questions over there and I guarantee you'll get useful and friendly answers. I have a different "name" over there, but you'll easily find me.

All the best

Ifor

Shylo said:
nopiano said:

Considering [a] I bought the Rega RP1 as recently as 6 months back and would like to continue with it atleast for another 3-4 years I live in India and to my knowledge we have very limited turntable options here, Rega having no presence at all, it will be a little difficult upgrading my turntable to a desired one [c] Intending to continue with my Denon PMA1500AE amp for a couple of years more, I think an external phono stage over the in-built one would boost audio output --- I would like to work around my current system

Therefore, what would all the vinyl pundits out there say about me opting to [a] replace my current Ortofon 0M5E stylus with an Ortofon OM20 stylus and investing in a Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 SE phono stage [c] Also picking up an Upgrade Rega drive belt (not the entire performance pack) ?

I think this option will additionally help me as I presume the stylus replacement is a simple remove & re-fix job with no further adjustments (tracking force, angle, etc) required (I don't have access to anybody here with a professional understanding of Turntable set-up) .. Correct me if I am wrong

Cheers

Shylo

Fair enough - that extra info rather changes things! A better phono amp should refine the sound. It won't give you a boost in output, if you mean loudness/ volume. Henley Designs website should have the info you need on Ortofon, or the Rega people may help by email. I'm not sure if you can upgrade just by changing the stylus on that model - sorry!

Shylo

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
ifor said:
Shylo said:

Shylo, I would hesitate to claim any expertise, but I have been very pleased indeed with my first two Slee purchases (Reflex M phono stage and CuSat interconnect). I strongly encourage you to sign up to the Graham Slee Owners' Club Forum. You don't have to be an owner to join. Ask the same questions over there and I guarantee you'll get useful and friendly answers. I have a different "name" over there, but you'll easily find me.

All the best

Ifor

Thank you ifor .. Will check out the said forum .. Cheers

Shylo

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
nopiano said:
Shylo said:
nopiano said:

Cheers

Shylo

Fair enough - that extra info rather changes things! A better phono amp should refine the sound. It won't give you a boost in output, if you mean loudness/ volume. Henley Designs website should have the info you need on Ortofon, or the Rega people may help by email. I'm not sure if you can upgrade just by changing the stylus on that model - sorry!

Thank you nopiano .. Will check with the Rega folk .. Cheerio

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts