Need help: NAD C372, Yamaha YST1500SW, Wharfedale Diamond 9.1

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have recently bought a subwoofer, Yamaha YST-1500SW to add to my existing setup consisting of a NAD C372 amp and Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 bookshelf speakers.
Tech specs of the Yamaha: http://www.yamaha.co.jp/english/product/av/pdfs/moreinfo/ystsw1500.pdf

Wharfedales are connected to the speaker A connections of the NAD. When connecting the Yamaha YST-1500SW (as per instructions in the Yammie user manual) to the main in and pre-out of the NAD and turning it on, the NAD starts overheating after a minute or so. After a while the amp light turns red and it shuts down.
Even if I only connect the sub via main in and pre-out, and disconnect the Wharfedales from the speaker A connections my NAD overheats. Soft clipping and bridge mode are both switched off. Tried with soft clipping switched on as well, same overheat result.

I have tried connecting the Yammie only using the pre-out or the pre-out 2 of the NAD, in that case there´s no problem with overheating. Drawback is that the sound´s muddled because the Yamaha´s High Pass Filter (routing back only mid and high tones to the main in connection of the NAD) isn´t used.

I´ve also tried connecting the sub to the NAD using the NAD´s speaker A out connections, then the Wharfedales to the Yammie´s speaker out connections. No heating problem, but too much bass coming from the Wharfedales.

Best sound, according to Yammie manual and my listening tests, is definitely using the NAD´s pre-out and main in connection.

I am based in Spain and rang the Spanish NAD distributor technical dept. They suggest the overheating problem is due to the Wharfedales (6 ohms instead of 8) and that I change my bookshelf speakers.... Hmmm.

Anybody any ideas, suggestions ?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts