Need budget Amp ideas, must be A + B speaker type.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi

Am after a new stereo amp for the small room (mine all mine!) I have some Mission 702s in there and will be adding another pair, one for music and the other connected to my PC and TV in there.

I was also hoping it would turn into a sort of ad-hoc surround sytem too, maybe adding a sub or centre later on.

I was looking at the Sony STR DH100, looks very nice but of course need to listen to it.

What Hi Fi doesn't have many budget amps on here reviewed so am seeking advice. Would prefer a new one, although may be tempted into used if good enough. However it is not a purist system simply a second system for when I want to hide away lol.

Could someone advise on ohms etc too as I understand when connecting 2 paurs of speakers I need to watch out for that, I don't understand it and don't want to blow anything!

I am looking at the Q Acoustic 1010i for the PC/TV speakers and keeping the Missions as I said for the music.

Thanks for any help you can give. Budget about 100-150 max. Max.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Arcam Alpha 8 or if you're lucky, 9 integrated
emotion-1.gif

Both have SP1 and SP2 outputs and both v good amps as well

A

Anonymous

Thanks for that, I will definitely keep an eye out for either or similar.

Any other ideas, which current models would be a good choice in the same price range as the Sony STR DH100? Is the Sony decent?

Like the idea of an Alpha but need other options. Cheers.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Well the Arcam Alpha's will be 2nd hand via eBay.

The only currently model that's decent I can think of is the NAD C355BEE but that's around the £250/£300 mark currently.

matthewpiano

plastic penguin:For around £150-£180 you can pick-up Arcam A65+. I doesn't have the output of the Alphas mentioned, but it is immensely good, especially for that sort of money.

I'll second that. Much better option than the Sony.

I'll also recommend a used Audiolab 8000S. Superb amplifier.

Unfortunately my other favourite affordable amplifiers (Pioneer A400 and NAD C325BEE/C326BEE) only have one set of speaker outputs.

A

Anonymous

OK and thanks for the suggestions.

I am thinking of upping the budget and connecting as my main stereo now and selling my old PMA255uk, which is ok but know there is better to be had.

So I wondered if you had any recommendations from the current amps, or not so current. I would prefer new, as it is less hassle etc. However I will be grabbing any Arcam or Audiolab that I see 2nd hand for a good price.

I am favouring the Nad and the Marantz 6003 at the moment, but would like a couple more amps recommended so I can audition them all.

Thanks for the help, glad I didn't just go and buy that Sony now!

Brand new definitely look at Creek Evo 2. It's a cracker! It isn't universally loved on this forum, but it demonstrates a very agile sound; the bass is deep and fast and it is tonally neutral.

Second hand, Arcam A85. As a standalone amp it's very good; the real pull for me is upgrading is cost-effective. Add a P85 or P80 and the amp will sing -- Arcam produce some of the finest power amps for the money, and Arcam integrated amps really do flourish when bi-amped.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for that, I probably should have said though that my budget will now be £400 max.
emotion-3.gif

A little out of my price range the Evo, but am looking out for pretty much any Arcam.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Well if that's your budget then look at the NAD C355BEE integrated.

You'll not get much better than that for new!

If you're still happy with 2nd hand though you would be able to get an Arcam Alpha 10 integrated and more than likely it's matching Alpha 10P power amp as well!

If not those take a look at the Arcam DiVA A85 integrated amp and mentioned above by PP. Superb amp
emotion-1.gif

max normal:

Thanks for that, I probably should have said though that my budget will now be £400 max.
emotion-3.gif

A little out of my price range the Evo, but am looking out for pretty much any Arcam.

Creek Evo MKI, Roksan Kandy LIII or Arcam A80 or A85 for that sort of money. Brand new then Rotel RA-04SE would fit the bill nicely.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
I bought my A85 off eBay a while back for £285, so you should easily find one for your budget. It has true A & B speaker switching, unlike the A65+ which has switching for the B speakers, but the A speakers are on the whole time.

Only thing with the A85 which annoys me is, I wish it would aautomatically cut audio to the speakers when using headphones, but you have to deselect the speaker outputs.

Big Chris:

I bought my A85 off eBay a while back for £285, so you should easily find one for your budget. It has true A & B speaker switching, unlike the A65+ which has switching for the B speakers, but the A speakers are on the whole time.

Only thing with the A85 which annoys me is, I wish it would aautomatically cut audio to the speakers when using headphones, but you have to deselect the speaker outputs.

Arcam A85 1 - A65+ 1
emotion-5.gif

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin:Big Chris:

Arcam A85 1 - A65+ 1
emotion-5.gif

But the A85 claws back a point for being able to see what volume it's on through some frosted glass cabinet doors. Something I could never do with my A65+. (Why they didn't stick an LED where the volume 'dent' on the knob is, I don't know!)

Fear not. Once the house is decorated and my garage doesn't look like an explosion at Wickes, the A65+ and the CD72T will once again be performing their correct roles in my hideaway/studio.

Big Chris:plastic penguin:Big Chris:

Arcam A85 1 - A65+ 1
emotion-5.gif

But the A85 claws back a point for being able to see what volume it's on through some frosted glass cabinet doors. Something I could never do with my A65+. (Why they didn't stick an LED where the volume 'dent' on the knob is, I don't know!)

Fear not. Once the house is decorated and my garage doesn't look like an explosion at Wickes, the A65+ and the CD72T will once again be performing their correct roles in my hideaway/studio.

A85 2 - A65+ 1 Half Time.

This is better than the real thing....
emotion-4.gif

Understand the small issue - I don't have frosted glass and still can't see where the volume is....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts