Need advice

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 108165

Blacksabbath25 said:
just been reading about my amp and what kind of speakers work well with it as some people are finding issues with some kinds of speakers with this amp but with me its the high bass thats the issue with me . the issue is when playing metal music and turn the vol up to 10 - 11 oclock the high bass gets a bit blured is this to do with my dalis or the amp ? but if you play dire strates , fleetwood mac it sounds amazing as this amp is very strong in its sounds much more bolder sound then the 6005 was so when upgrading to the next up upgrade do i need a natual sounding speakers ? to sort this issue out as i do not want to add bass or do i need a speaker that handles the high and the low bass better ?

Try putting your speakers in the garden and see if the bass problem still exists. If it does then it's the speakers, if it doesn't then it's your room vs the volume you desire. DSpeaker Antimode may be an option to cure this: http://www.dspeaker.com/ , or some kind of room treatment.

Hope you live in a detached property as if you don't I kinda feel sorry for your neighbours*smile*

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
DougK said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
just been reading about my amp and what kind of speakers work well with it as some people are finding issues with some kinds of speakers with this amp but with me its the high bass thats the issue with me . the issue is when playing metal music and turn the vol up to 10 - 11 oclock the high bass gets a bit blured is this to do with my dalis or the amp ? but if you play dire strates , fleetwood mac it sounds amazing as this amp is very strong in its sounds much more bolder sound then the 6005 was so when upgrading to the next up upgrade do i need a natual sounding speakers ? to sort this issue out as i do not want to add bass or do i need a speaker that handles the high and the low bass better ?

Try putting your speakers in the garden and see if the bass problem still exists. If it does then it's the speakers, if it doesn't then it's your room vs the volume you desire. DSpeaker Antimode may be an option to cure this: http://www.dspeaker.com/ , or some kind of room treatment.

Hope you live in a detached property as if you don't I kinda feel sorry for your neighbours*smile*
yesterday I had taken the speakers of the wall brackets and out of the corners to find out if this helped but it did not the sound stage was not so good I thought and having them in the corners adds to bass which I know but do not have much choice in that . I sure I need a set of speakers that are front ported which will help with the bass issues but it's not bass boom it's just not tight just muddy and seems to dominate the top end . Vol at 10 o'clock is not that load and no neighbors to worry about

gasolin

Blacksabbath25 said:
DougK said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

yesterday I had taken the speakers of the wall brackets and out of the corners to find out if this helped but it did not the sound stage was not so good I thought and having them in the corners adds to bass which I know but do not have much choice in that . I sure I need a set of speakers that are front ported which will help with the bass issues but it's not bass boom it's just not tight just muddy and seems to dominate the top end . Vol at 10 o'clock is not that load and no neighbors to worry about

Try non ported speakers or Dali Lektor 2, B&W 686s2 they are all front portede and dosn't cost more then dali zensor 3 which i guess is what you have

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Yes they are the Dali 3s but still got my Dali 1s as well in the attic which I am keeping for AV . I like the look of the mk2s but they are rear ported two . but got thinking about the dalis 3s as there output is 125 wts max but if i turn my amp up at 10 o clock to 11 vol is it at the max of my speakers or getting near there best as the reason i am saying this is if i have the vol at 9 o clock it can cope with fast drum beats with heavy bass lines in the bass peddles on a drum kit ??? but not sure what dbs i am knocking out at say 11 o clock vol ?

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm starting to think you have too high expectations from budget (and timid) domestic compact hi-fi kit. They are despite all reviews, praise or appetites, a pair of 7" woofer standmounts and a 70Wpc integrated.

- Low Price

- High Fidelity

- High SPL

Now pick only two and feel the heavy burdening reality of Hoffman's Iron Law.

PS - To be pedantic the law originally went: 1) High Efficiency, 2) Bass Extension, 3) Small Speaker Cabinet - pick only two. But you understand what I'm aiming at. *smile*

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Vladimir said:
I'm starting to think you have too high expectations from budget (and timid) domestic compact hi-fi kit. They are despite all reviews, praise or appetites, a pair of 7" woofer standmounts and a 70Wpc integrated.

- Low Price

- High Fidelity

- High SPL

Now pick only two and feel the heavy burdening reality of Hoffman's Iron Law.

PS - To be pedantic the law originally went: 1) High Efficiency, 2) Bass Extension, 3) Small Speaker Cabinet - pick only two. But you understand what I'm aiming at. *smile*
i started with budget and now getting med stream and there is nothing wrong in wanting to improve in what I have now I want to change the dails to something that will work better with the 8005 amp as the dalis 3s worked ok with the 6005 amp with thet budget I had at the time of me buying the 6005 and did not think i would get the hi fi bug and want to change what I had but all I am trying to do is to get it all to work nicely together and get the most out of the 8005 if possable as the 8005 has a much stronger sound to it then the 6005 did i am not saying the dails are rubbish they are not they just do not work so well when you are using 11 o clock vol they start to lose the top end a bit and get a bit coloured with the bass and sure that i am not pushing them to hard at that volume surly ? or the amp . If your saying that I will never get that sound I am looking for in a book shelf speaker then please say then I would have to go the floor standing root as in the past I used to have a pair of monitor audio gold floor standers speakers but had to sell them before my little one came a long as needed the money at the time and i had a arcam p7 power amp Fmj with the matching amp that went with it plus a REl sub and at the time that lot set me back £10000 so I know what high end hi fi is

emperor's new clothes

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Hi Blacksabbath,

Vlad's right. The E string of Geezer Butler's bass guitar is @41HZ. Most standmounts have a reflex port tuned much higher with significant roll off below. eg LS50 79Hz/-3DB so will replace proper bass with a mid bass generic muddle. The Proac studio 118 is both front ported and allegedly tuned to lower bass frequencies, so might work for you. ATC sealed cabinets too as suggested, but the 8005 might be the limiting factor at high levels as they need serious grunt. I have B&W 601S3s, front ported, as rears in my AV on stands right in the corners. No boom after selecting small and DSP. The 685s might work for you too, also Russel K Red 100s?

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
emperor's new clothes said:
Hi Blacksabbath,

Vlad's right. The E string of Geezer Butler's bass guitar is @41HZ. Most standmounts have a reflex port tuned much higher with significant roll off below. eg LS50 79Hz/-3DB so will replace proper bass with a mid bass generic muddle. The Proac studio 118 is both front ported and allegedly tuned to lower bass frequencies, so might work for you. ATC sealed cabinets too as suggested, but the 8005 might be the limiting factor at high levels as they need serious grunt. I have B&W 601S3s, front ported, as rears in my AV on stands right in the corners. No boom after selecting small and DSP. The 685s might work for you too, also Russel K Red 100s?
thank you for the positive input I am just trying to climb the hi fi ladder again and been out of the game for 10years and things have moved on

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
emperor's new clothes said:
Hi Blacksabbath,

thank you for the positive input I am just trying to climb the hi fi ladder again and been out of the game for 10years and things have moved on

That's OK, we all do.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I agree with Vladimir (and understand the OP's desire to achieve a certain sound).

I think you have to understand that there are limitations to the driving ability of your 8005. It is no monster Krell plus it's a Marantz ... the transistor equivelant of Valve amplifiers (to some extent).

As such it would never be my choice for iron grip, solid bass and pin sharp highs. It's just not that sort of amplifier and many appreciate it for exactly that.

Best make the most of its abilities (refinement, dynamics and a relatively airy/smooth sound) and pair it wisely with something that brings out the best it can do or else ... ditch the amplifier and start again imho.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
There is a stunning pair of Usher Audio DMD-718 Diamonds on the bay for £1100. Make an offer of £1000?

They are probably good enough to survive a few amplifier upgrades whilst making the most of your current 8005 but again, they are not bass monsters or pa speakers.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Please do not misunderstand me I am not looking for a bass monster I hate to much bass that's the thing its controlled bass I am looking for tight bass . This amp sounds amazingly good with softer music like dire strates. You hear everything it's just some metal albums it struggles with . I do like the pro ark 118 speakers. They have got a good write up and they say they will play any kind music with hard tight bass and they are front ported too so no bass boom so will be looking to get a set of them ones I find out who stocks them so I can have a demo

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
Please do not misunderstand me I am not looking for a bass monster I hate to much bass that's the thing its controlled bass I am looking for tight bass . This amp sounds amazingly good with softer music like dire strates. You hear everything it's just some metal albums it struggles with . I do like the pro ark 118 speakers. They have got a good write up and they say they will play any kind music with hard tight bass and they are front ported too so no bass boom so will be looking to get a set of them ones I find out who stocks them so I can have a demo 

Go into a hifi store and listen to your metal cds on some hi-end amps/speakers. You may be supprised.

gasolin

Mabye try something beyond what you need mabye a monster amp to se if it can handle the bass/midbass to perfection like the big hegel or musical fidelity that can more loud then you ever need, could also be the room

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts