Need advice for new system

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Am about to retire my old Marantz CD 63 and Arcam 8 and ready to spend up to £2000 (ish) on a new CD Player / Amp but would appreciate advice on what to look at. My shortlist at the moment is a choice of either: Naim combo of the CD5i / Nait5i Amp Cyrus combo of CD8 / 8vs2 Amp I have also seen good comments about the CD players from Rega (but not their amps), entry level Leema CD and Amps (hard to find stockists) and both CD and Amps from Cambridge. I always thought Primare stuff was pretty good but it doesnt seem to get the attention in the mags these days for whatever reason. Appreciate the thoughts!!!!!!

A

Anonymous

Please please please have a listen to a combination of Creek Classic CDP and Sugden A21 amp. It is without doubt the best 2 grand combo I have heard by a country mile. And I've heard a lot! Despite people berating the Sugden for it's low 'on paper' power output, it'll drive most speakers absolutely fine. It only struggles with very insensitive speakers at high volume... A truly sublime sound!

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
The Naim combo will work a treat, I believe Cyrus have some new models on the way and the Leema kit we've tested has been excellent (although it's mainly been the more top-of-the-range stuff).

As for Primare, they don't bring out new models very often which is why we haven't tested it in a while, but I still run a Primare pre/power system at home and it's excellent.

I guess the system you choose will depend to some extent on the type of music you listen to. What are your preferences?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Andy Clough"]
The Naim combo will work a treat, I believe Cyrus have some new models on the way and the Leema kit we've tested has been excellent (although it's mainly been the more top-of-the-range stuff).

As for Primare, they don't bring out new models very often which is why we haven't tested it in a while, but I still run a Primare pre/power system at home and it's excellent.

I guess the system you choose will depend to some extent on the type of music you listen to. What are your preferences?
[/quote]

A good system at 2 grand should play any type of music well...

A

Anonymous

I listen to a pretty wide range of stuf but mainly Jazz, vocal type music and Indie - so a pretty all round system needed really. Not much Classical which is a good thing as that tests my Epos Speakers to their max due to the lack of a strong low end - excellent speakers all the same, especially the mid-range.
Thanks for your help.

A

Anonymous

I stand firmly by my recommendation. Creek CDP and Sugden Amp for the win!

TRENDING THREADS