Nearly there ...

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
For those of you who’ve followed my hi-fi adventures over the last (nearly) two years and have made some immensely helpful suggestions, I thought I’d do a quick summary of where my main system’s got to. It’s included some wrong turns and some big surprises.

When I started out, I thought I’d settle on the amp first. The thinking was that if I had the best amp I could afford, I’d then be able to do meaningful speaker demos at home. I regret that decision now, and I’m firmly in the ‘speakers first’ camp.

The reason for my change of heart was the revelatory experience of electrostatic speakers. Hearing a pair of Martin Logans in a comparative demo (against the Harbeth SHL5s and Sonus faber Cremona Auditor Ms, both lovely speakers) was, well, a revelation. I was lucky enough to find an ex-demo pair of Martin Logan Montis, and I knew they’d be the heart of my system.

Back to amps: before the Martin Logan experience I'd got well and truly bitten by the Devialet bug, and I still haven't heard a better amp at the price for driving normal cone speakers. I lived with the Sanders Magtech power amp, which was designed specifically for electrostatic speakers by Roger Sanders, a legend in the world of ESLs. It’s a big, unprepossessing box that delivers 500WPC through 20 output transformers with no protective circuitry. Hearing the Magtech with the Montis was like my first demo of Martin Logans: it opened up a new sound world. An enormous soundstage, hugely detailed, with beautiful presentation of mids and highs and rich satisfying bass.

I did that demo in my study upstairs, which has a very nice acoustic, but when I moved the system down to its destination in the living room, things went wrong again. The bass was boomy in the bigger space, but the highs were also much too energetic.

The solutions came in two forms. First a set of Townshend seismic bars for the speakers, which provide almost complete isolation from the floor (no foo here; it’s proper engineering).

The second solution was a DSPeaker Anti-Mode 2.0 Dual Core, which is a veritable hi-fi toolbox and strongly recommended. Its main function is to remove bass modes; it turns out I had two big humps at 30Hz and 60Hz, which is quite normal for a UK living room. Those humps have now gone. The DSPeaker also works as a DAC and preamp, which is how I’m using it at the moment, though it can be used in pure digital mode.

The system is now wonderful for all types of music. The acoustics of the living room are still a bit too lively, but some new softer furniture and a big rug should sort that out.

There’s room for future tweaking. My source is currently a modded Sonos Connect. I might demo some other streamers, though I’m sceptical. Also I might experiment with using the DSPeaker in digital mode and introducing another DAC/preamp, though again I think the benefits are likely to be marginal.

So … nearly there. Many thanks to all who’ve taken part!

Matt *drinks*

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
A great adventure indeed, Matt! Once you're all set, you should organize 'ear opening sessions' for the interested forumite ("Exceeding the limits in hifi!").
regular_smile.gif

Can't wait to start my own DEQX - nCORE - Maggie project. Hopefully something for Q3 2015...

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
DocG said:
A great adventure indeed, Matt! Once you're all set, you should organize 'ear opening sessions' for the interested forumite ("Exceeding the limits in hifi!").

Can't wait to start my own DEQX - nCORE - Maggie project. Hopefully something for Q3 2015...

Cheers, Doc, and thanks for all your advice and support along the way.

I'm looking forward to your project, though I can't resist the suggestion that you should try some Martin Logans with the right amp.

iceman16 said:
Matt I think you have'nt lived with class A for long..?

You may be right. I had an AMS35i on home demo for the best part of two weeks. I did demos of class A amps by Accuphase (twice), Luxman and Pass Labs. And I have a Sugden A21a at the holiday cottage. Though I admit I never did get to find out whether a low wattage class a amp is capable of driving the Martin Logans. I suspect not. *blum3*

I forgot to mention another plan: a 15" sub! The 10" woofers in the Montis are fine, but I just think a huge sub would add that extra bit of atmosphere. *crazy*

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Hi Matt,

Thanks for the recap, an enjoyable read as usual.

I think an open day at 49 towers might be in order to sample both set ups.

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
matt49 said:
DocG said:

I'm looking forward to your project, though I can't resist the suggestion that you should try some Martin Logans with the right amp.

You're right, of course! But it ain't gonna happen... Sanders has no dealers in Belgium, while ML has one, but I swore I would never ever do business with that man again (he's a crook)...

So I'll stay with the current plan (which obviously doesn't allow any demoes in advance either). I see it as a not-too-risky midlife crisis project: safer than a motorbike. Or a mistress.

matt49 said:
I forgot to mention another plan: a 15" sub! The 10" woofers in the Montis are fine, but I just think a huge sub would add that extra bit of atmosphere. *crazy*

A 15" sub? In the living room? Did you check that option with your interior designer yet? Let alone with the lady of the house? Unless of course you can disguise it as a convenient coffee table... *blum3*

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Macspur said:
Hi Matt,

Thanks for the recap, an enjoyable read as usual.

I think an open day at 49 towers might be in order to sample both set ups.

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

Cheers, Mac, and thanks foir all your sage advice.

An open day is certainly on the cards, maybe once the interior designer has finished messing about with the living room.

DocG said:
matt49 said:

A 15" sub? In the living room? Did you check that option with your interior designer yet? Let alone with the lady of the house? Unless of course you can disguise it as a convenient coffee table... *blum3*

It will be in the centre of the room as a conversation piece.

Guest: What's that?

Me: It's a 15" sub.

Guest: It's quite, er, big.

Me: You got a problem with that?

James7

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Nice summary of your journey Matt. I am glad to hear the final destination is in sight. How's System 2. shaping up? The Devialet / SF / SAM combination here to stay?

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
James7 said:
Nice summary of your journey Matt. I am glad to hear the final destination is in sight. How's System 2. shaping up? The Devialet / SF / SAM combination here to stay?

Cheers, James.

Yes, I'm very happy with the Dev/SF combo. I'll be writing about it in a week or two on the Devialet thread, as a small addition to the system is due to arrive soon.

Matt

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
DocG said:
matt49 said:
DocG said:

You're right, of course! But it ain't gonna happen... Sanders has no dealers in Belgium, while ML has one, but I swore I would never ever do business with that man again (he's a crook)...

So I'll stay with the current plan (which obviously doesn't allow any demoes in advance either). I see it as a not-too-risky midlife crisis project: safer than a motorbike. Or a mistress.

matt49 said:

Does the good lady doctor enjoy winter sports?

A week in Colorado indulging in the activity of your choice followed by a trip Sanders Sound System just outside Denver.

I once got away with taking Mrs DDC to four days of a test match by promising her some fun 'on the side'. Mind you, it was in Bridgetown...!

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Wow and it has been a journey! and i've enjoyed it from a safe distance. Am i right in saying you dont have a Devialet any more? You made a comment about "when i retire i might make some speakers" as i see it you have put in a huge amount of time and effort alone in coming up with your solution. I dont think i could of invested as much time as you! You see we all get our kicks in differant ways, and feed our desire for knowladge which you done. My hats off to you and loved you're description of the wall of sound from the Martin Logan's it was hugely descriptive and painted a great picture. Enjoy!

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
davedotco said:
DocG said:
matt49 said:

Does the good lady doctor enjoy winter sports?

A week in Colorado indulging in the activity of your choice followed by a trip Sanders Sound System just outside Denver.

I once got away with taking Mrs DDC to four days of a test match by promising her some fun 'on the side'. Mind you, it was in Bridgetown...!

Hmmmm, organizing a week of leisure time in the US of A, with wife and two kids, so as to be able to hear a power amp, hopefully with the 'right' source and speakers and a room not unlike our living room to come. Sounds appealing! I'll have to think it over...

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
boggit said:
Wow and it has been a journey! and i've enjoyed it from a safe distance. Am i right in saying you dont have a Devialet any more? You made a comment about "when i retire i might make some speakers" as i see it you have put in a huge amount of time and effort alone in coming up with your solution. I dont think i could of invested as much time as you! You see we all get our kicks in differant ways, and feed our desire for knowladge which you done. My hats off to you and loved you're description of the wall of sound from the Martin Logan's it was hugely descriptive and painted a great picture. Enjoy!

Thanks, Boggit, it has been quite a journey.

I'm fortunate inasmuch as I work mainly from home and my working day is very flexible, so I've been able to do lots of demos. And because I spend a lot of time at home, the hi-fi gets a lot of use. I'm also fortunate in that my wife has very deep pockets and likes to keep me happy. The Martin Logans were her birthday present to me last year. *kiss3*

I still have the Devialet upstairs in my study with my Sonus fabers. The effect of SAM on the SFs is really remarkable: the bass goes deeper, tighter and has more texture.

As you say, there are many roads to hi-fi pleasure.
Matt *drinks*

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Blimey what does she Do? As a side the CA Stream Magic 6 was a huge improvement over the Sonos. Magna in Holland mod it mainly the analog section for £300 ish. Did not stop me selling it just don't do CA!

Linn here we come just hope it sounds as good.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
A milestone was passed this week in my long journey to hi-fi heaven. We reclaimed our living room from the decorators. This meant I was able to move the Martin Logans and Magtech in.

First impressions are very positive. The room is just the right size for the speakers. They can be played quite loud without any hardness. The bass is still an issue; there’s some boom around 30-50Hz. I haven’t bothered to do a new calibration with the Anti-Mode yet, mainly because we’re still waiting for the new furniture, which will change the sound of the room. The new stuff will be fabric covered, whereas our existing stuff is leather.

Having said this, I do think the MLs will probably revert to my study upstairs in the long term, with full-on acoustic treatment, and the Vivids will be in the living room. (The Vivids should arrive in a week or two.) It’s partly an aesthetic thing, and partly to do with the positioning of the sofas, which will obscure the MLs’ LF drivers.

Anyway, in the meantime it’s great to be enjoying some big enveloping sound from the MLs in this lovely room.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts