NAS drive for home media streaming

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere, but I am planning to replace my existing Western Digital My World Book Edition White Light NAS for something more suitable for media streaming to 2x squeezebox touch units and squeezebox radio.

I know WHF suggests Synology but having looked at lots of reviews it seems it quite tricky to set up. In. The market there is plenty of choice and plenty to get confused by. Having looked a number of reviews, none of the leading products seem to get 5 stars in consumer based feedback.

Budget for the unit without disks is 200 and I plan to get 2x 3tb HDD and set up as raid 1 with USB back up and DVDs as offline

Any recommendations and also features/configurations to consider (eg CPU or RAM)?

Many thanks, Dave

Scissor_digits

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
I may be slightly biased but Synology have done much to simplify the setting up with DSM 4.0 - http://www.synology.com/dsm/dsm_for_home.php?lang=us and a comprehensive list of tutorials - http://www.synology.com/tutorials/tutorials.php?lang=us

The DS212j falls into your budget and will happily run Logitech Media Server for your SBT's and radio as well as media streaming to any other DLNA device you may have in your home. My DS210j has only half the recommended memory for running Logitech Media Server but I've never had any issues.

If I had not opted for Synology my second choice would be QNAP. Very little to choose between the 2 in terms of functionality and performance

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
As it's specifically for Squeezebox then you need to ensure that the Logitech Media Server software is natively supported & that the NAS has enough grunt (CPU & RAM) to run it. Just streaming to a single device doesn't require much at all but scanning, the web interface & multiple players does.

Also maybe consider the Vortexbox, either as a complete package or just the free OS/software on an old PC.

http://forums.slimdevices.com/forumdisplay.php?18-3rd-Party-Hardware

nads

any netgear NAS with the preinstalled software.

my thoughts on the fans are if you can not put them somewhere where you cant hear them talk to your computer person about noise from the drives and the fans.

alternative fans can be fun to find for any NAS.

I had exactly the same WD NAS drive before I upgraded to Synology only last week. Details of how I set it up is on this thread:

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/computer-based-music/nas-upgrade-question

Even I was a bit concerned that it may be overly complicated to set up, but actually, it's extremely easy. I cannot recommend it enough. I researched different NAS options, & Synology is amongst the best out there. It has the best UI amongst all competitors (the main reason why I chose this over QNAP). I will shortly post the summary of how I set my NAS on that thread, for easy reference.

smbmetal

Sep 8, 2007
Visit site
I run a 2TB Netgear Duo V2 with absolutley no issues at all. Very easy to install and run Logitech's media server from. It's officially supported by Logitech too.

QNAP & Synology will probably be better and have extra features, but the Negear does me fine
smiley-cool.gif

daveg56

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Am using a Synology 212J with 2 x 2TB drives, after a poor experience with a Netgear Duo. The Synology works perfectly with my 2 x SBT, all wirelessly. It's excellent kit and I highly recommend it.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
I had exactly the same WD NAS drive before I upgraded to Synology only last week. Details of how I set it up is on this thread:

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/computer-based-music/nas-upgrade-question

Even I was a bit concerned that it may be overly complicated to set up, but actually, it's extremely easy. I cannot recommend it enough. I researched different NAS options, & Synology is amongst the best out there. It has the best UI amongst all competitors (the main reason why I chose this over QNAP). I will shortly post the summary of how I set my NAS on that thread, for easy reference.

Great, BB!

A

Anonymous

Wow and spooky timing. It's almost the same scenario. Those little WD NAS have survived well. Great news on the NAS review, I will hold off until I read through. Thanks all for the comments. :cheers:

pba_target

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
Another recommend for the synology crowd! I've a 410J and it works fine with squeezeserver on it. Just upgraded to DSM4.0 and it's a winning piece of software. DSM (the NAS's interface) is, imho, the difference between synology and the competition. Flexible, easy to use and regularly upgraded with new features (a bit like the PS3 software tbh!)

markbbailey

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
Worth a look at the HP Microserver with Vortexbox running on it. With the current cashback offer you're looking at about £100 for something with a 250G disk already in it and with space for 3 further ones. Install the OS on the supplied disk and then use the others for your music storage. I'd recommend also putting in a DVD or Blu-ray drive which will give you an auto-ripping feature that typical NAS devices don't.

It's a more 'techie' solution but, once up and running, no more difficult to manage than a normal NAS.

If you've not heard of Vortexbox before; it's a Linux based operating system that comes with a nice web interface and has a Squeezebox Server, DLNA server, Plex media server and a few other utilities built in. If you Google it, you'll probably find various references to hardware with Vortexbox pre-installed; ignore those and you should find the option just to download the Vortexbox software.

AlmaataKZ said:
I assume a compatible NAS in general and specifically Synology 212j can serve both Win PCs and Macs at the same time. True?

True for Synology & most others. Just make sure it's Time Machine compatible when buying.

I had written a long post to summarise how I set my Synology up, & then it disappeared when the safari browser in my iPad refreshed itself! |(

Will post later today.

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
If you are thinking of using the NAS to store dvd/bd rips as well, then I'd suggest paying a bit more and getting a Synology DS412+.

The cpu in this is powerful enough to transcode movie formats on the fly - so any dlna client can play any movie. A 4-bay is more cost-effective than a 2-bay long term as well (raid5).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts