naimunitilite audition today

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Had a quick listen to the naim unitilie today and feelings are mixed at the moment. First of all the audition was unplanned so did not have my own music at hand so had to make do with whatever they had in the shop and secondly the speakers were bw cm1 s2 (mine are cm1 originals) which were far from run in.

First impressions were good as there was detail aplenty and a bottom end to die for, but there was also a sense of the sound being slightly shut in, no doubt due to the speakers not being run in. The build quality and the weight of the thing were stupendous and it certainly looked the business on the equipment rack, but at the minute i.m not feeling that my little marantz was 100% outclassed by any means - although the sound was much more mature, deeper in the bass and certainly more detailed and I certainly wouldnt say no to owning one.

However, I will be going back with my own music to have another listen and hopefully next time I will have a better idea of what it can do.

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
Take your marants cr603 to the shop with your own music. It's the only way.

Or take the unitilite home for a demo - I did and it stayed there. The way it handles a broad range of music (as well as its streaming and internet/dab capabilities.) - very very nice sound.

tonky

paulselwood

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Well that a big upgrade from marantz 603. Did you play the naim at low volume, as most demo the play at high volumes, so you will hear more detail & bass. The best thing to do is home demo. Only then will you know, if it sound ok for you, in the room your going to place it in.

I too had marantz 603, love it. And from time too time I keep thinking about going back to one box.

Some times when you upgrade, for a better sound, or different sound. That after week or so, you miss your old system.

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
yes i think a home demo is gonna be the best way to tell............i played the naim at all volume levels although i did find i had to turn volume up to about half way to get a good listening level.

when i think about my last system, audiolab monoblocs preamp cd player arcam t32 tuner i really dont miss it at all which i know sounds weird as on paper with 125 watts per channel and detail and power to spare it really didnt do it for me. But as far as my little marantz goes i listen for hours without any fatigue . I still need to listen to the uniti 2 as well.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
It is almost four years since I abandoned Naim separates for an M-CR603. It wasn't much of a step down in quality (suprisingly) and the step-up in fun was immense.

Whatever, despite at least a couple of financial opportunities to return to Naim (and separates), here I am, four years on, still enjoying the M-CR603 and still finding it difficult to find anything significantly better for less than a couple of grand.

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
well its like i said in my post chebby, when i got home and put some music on i really didnt feel like i wanted to rush back to the shop and go and buy one. i think ive started looking just because at the moment i have the money but i,m guessing it doesnt mean i have to go and buy one or even that the naim is gonna be better, even though a direct comparison may show it to be but not enough at the minute go go rushing out and spending 2k...........saying that i do still want to listen to a initi 2 as i have a feeling the extra power and grip may make a difference

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
Keep us updated if poss thanks.

As an aside the change in internet radio (codecs?) etc radio 2. It affected my unitilite for a short time - an android phone. Anyway - resulting change is improved sound quality and stability all round. Great stuff.

tonky

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts