Naim upgrades

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Just got a new credit card with 12 months interest free on purchases, so it seems unfair not to use it !!!

I think I should replace my ageing Naim CD3.5 / Flat cap and will probably stay with Naim, but should I go CD5X plus power supply or CDX2. I will get round to a propoer demo, but would appreciate your thoughts and advice.

Also, my local dealer has offered me £ 500 for my stuff above. Is this a fair offer ?

A

Anonymous

The trade in seems fair. My mate's got a CDX2 an it sounds fantastic. It can also be upgraded with a PSU and is pretty much a reference player then. You can also pick them up for about £1600 SH.

A

Anonymous

Did your friend listen to any other CD players before chosing the CDX2, and if so what made him chose this model ?

A

Anonymous

Well he listened to the CD5x with the Flatcap 2, which he reckoned sounded very close to the CDX2 but then he heard the CDX2 with a XPS and finally with a 555 and that convinced him. He didn't compare the Naim CD players to others because he already had/has naim amps and its a well known fact that the synergy is very good between naim amps and cd's.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the reply. I also have Naim Pre-Power ( 82/hicap/250.2 ) and have a few years ago put a Meridian CD588 player through it producing excellent results. Logicaly the CDX2 keeps me on the future upgrade path, but I can aslo save some money by going CD5X + Power Supply and put it towards better interconnects etc.

A

Anonymous

I appreciate what you are saying but spending money on the source and then sorting out the cables et all has always been the best way for me.

A

Anonymous

Just wondering, does anyone know how the New Naim CD5i (italic) sounds compared to the CD5x? Iv heard the new name has good bass from another thread, and the What HiFi review had the cd5x as a little bass light?

A

Anonymous

The new cd5i is a little better than the old; but we are talking small. The CD5x is a far better player and is not bass light!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Rev"]The new cd5i is a little better than the old; but we are talking small. The CD5x is a far better player and is not bass light![/quote]

Thanks for the feedback. I didn't think it was overly bass light either though haven't compared the two.What HiFi said though "bass can lack impact", though horses for courses I guess!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts