Naim Uniti review

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
According to the logo it should be naimuniti (lower case). And the 'un' in uniti should be one character.

However in their product description Naim use NaimUniti in the text.

I dare say Naim would not mind if you called it Gladys so long as you buy one
emotion-2.gif

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Much more importantly from the review is the following long waited for description of sound quality of the naimuniti vs Nait 5i/CD5i. (These italics and bold fonts are hard work!)

Quote....

"With CD the performance is not far off that of a CD5i/Nait 5i combination, maybe just lacking a little openness by comparison..."

I am going to compare WHF's findings with my own later in the week. (Maybe tomorrow.)

But I am not going to accept any (even slight) reduction in CD player quality after waiting 26 years for one that I really like!

A pity if the difference is noticeable. I was hoping that the better DAC (derived from the CD5X) would make up for any 'compromises' from having everything squeezed into one box.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
I would have thought that squeezing everyting into a single box would have improved the quality due to shorter cable runs and less susceptibility to interference. Of course, the exception to this will be the power supply (better in a different box) and Naim sell these anyway.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
PJPro:I would have thought that squeezing everyting into a single box would have improved the quality due to shorter cable runs and less susceptibility to interference. Of course, the exception to this will be the power supply (better in a different box) and Naim sell these anyway.

Good logic on the shorter cable runs etc PJ.

On power supplies, last time I checked, the Naim power supplies (Flatcap etc) cannot be used with the naimuniti. Not only that, but I would not want to anyway. Defeats the object of the appeal of a one box system.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
chebby:
On power supplies, last time I checked, the Naim power supplies (Flatcap etc) cannot be used with the naimuniti.....

It surprises me that Naim would block a potential upgrade path seeing as upgradability is a big selling point of their products. And it's always nice to have somewhere to go, funds allowing.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
PJPro:It surprises me that Naim would block a potential upgrade path seeing as upgradability is a big selling point of their products. And it's always nice to have somewhere to go, funds allowing.

My Nait 5i/CD5i are also not able to be used with any seperate power supplies. That ceased after the Nait 5 and the introduction of the 5i (non italic) some years ago apparently.

However, there is a preamp-out socket lurking on the back of the naimuniti so I assume that is the upgrade path. (They also get a powered phono DIN socket for the Stageline phono pre-amp.)

LINK REMOVED BY MODS for House Rules violation

John Duncan

Yeah think it talks about adding power amps on the website. But I guess if you're buying an all-in-one you've already made the decision about future upgrades (ie minimal).

You heard it yet Chebs, I forget?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Yeah think it talks about adding power amps on the website. But I guess if you're buying an all-in-one you've already made the decision about future upgrades (ie minimal).

You heard it yet Chebs, I forget?

Tomorrow possibly or somewhen this week.

A

Anonymous

You could always put the multi-boxes you have into a cabinet and save a wodge of cash.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
igglebert:You could always put the multi-boxes you have into a cabinet and save a wodge of cash.

But then the cable count remains high (naimuniti would drop that to one set of speaker cables and one mains cable and one short optical cable to the DVD/HDD recorder).

Also it has wireless streaming and FM/DAB and internet radio and DAC etc etc.

I am still (sort of) hoping the SQ differences WHF heard are so minimal they are going to escape my unprofessional ears.

A

Anonymous

Hmmm, I can see the temptation. Maybe the difference in sound will only become apparent if you live with it for a week and then switch back.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
I think the implication of our
"With CD the performance is not far off that of a CD5i/Nait 5i combination, maybe just lacking a little openness by comparison..."
is that the differences are very small indeed.

And having spent more time with the NaimUniti for a Gramophone review - in the September issue, on sale in August - I'd say it's a system with which I could quite happily live if I wasn't doing this stuff for a living.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Yes Igglebert. As a recent paying (Naim) customer and regular at my dealer over the last year I am hoping I can get a weekend 'lend' from them. (They are closed Sundays and Mondays).

A

Anonymous

I'm really trying to ignore all the Naim fame at the mo but I know they'll go so well with my Spendors
emotion-3.gif

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Well I have given up on any Naim upgrading plans.

The next level up from what I have would be well over £3700 (Nait XS/CD5XS/Flatcap2XS) with the recent changes and would be even more boxes and connectors. That way lies fanaticism.

The naimuniti was not to be an upgrade so much as a sideways step and simplification (and reduction of cables and clutter) and part of a plan to 'disappear' the system as much as practical with small high quality wall-mount/bookshelf speakers (like the Spendors in another thread) and a much slimmer telly that can be wallmounted too.

I can then fill the vacant space with more books and maybe one day get a really nice leather chair and footstool I have had urges for for a long time now!

A

Anonymous

You should try out a pair of the Spendor S3e at Brighton before they sell out, bargain speaker!

Seeing as you mention flatpanels on walls, how exactly does that work? We've just bought a stone cottage and I really need to mount the TV on the chimney but I'm struggling to believe that I hve to go out and buy A LOT of new cabling. Presently I have a Chord Cobra for the audio, a coax for the aerial, a decent 1m mains lead and a 1m QED component lead for the DVD. That's a lot of very long and subsequently expensive cabling just to mount a TV on the wall.

What does everyone else do? Am I being a little silly here, trying to deny the tr

EDIT, sorry, I should start a new thread for this. I will at the weekend.

John Duncan

Andrew Everard:And having spent more time with the NaimUniti for a Gramophone review - in the September issue, on sale in August - I'd say it's a system with which I could quite happily live if I wasn't doing this stuff for a living.

Me too, after about five minutes. nnnggghhh.

lordmortlock

May 21, 2008
Visit site
igglebert:You should try out a pair of the Spendor S3e at Brighton before they sell out, bargain speaker!

Seeing as you mention flatpanels on walls, how exactly does that work? We've just bought a stone cottage and I really need to mount the TV on the chimney but I'm struggling to believe that I hve to go out and buy A LOT of new cabling. Presently I have a Chord Cobra for the audio, a coax for the aerial, a decent 1m mains lead and a 1m QED component lead for the DVD. That's a lot of very long and subsequently expensive cabling just to mount a TV on the wall.

What does everyone else do? Am I being a little silly here, trying to deny the tr

EDIT, sorry, I should start a new thread for this. I will at the weekend.

I did this in my place last year... a lot more effort than I thought it would be but now its all done its been worth it. Happy to share my thoughts/experiences if you're interested.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts