Naim Nait 5i and CD5i... Need Bookshelf Speakers

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, i'm new here and am purchasing my very first Hi-Fi soon.

I am purchasing the Nait 5i and CD5i. I listen to anything from Linkin Park's Music to Elgar's Symphonies.

I have been looking into the Bowers and Wilkins 685's as a pair for them.

Can anyone recommend any speakers to fit my Naim set up?

Thanx :)

John Duncan

Going to borrow the 'i's when the wife's away week after next.......
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

Hi AJ,

thinking the same for my first gear. I am going for the same but with Dynaudio Focus 110. Superb from what little I have heard. Unfortunately cant demo either PMC or ProAC here in Germany. Pl let us know what you end up with. Happy hunting !

Cheers,

Neeraj

A

Anonymous

Hi,

I've also gone down the Naim route, though the CD5i will have to wait until the start of the next contract...

Sonus Faber make excellent speakers, and the new Minima may be just what you require. The trick about SF is that their sound is one you can grow old with, and that the better the source, the better they sound. I have some first-generation concertos which sounded good with my original NAD/Rega planet setup, but superb with my current Marantz/Naim setup. They may not be the last word in excitement or analysis, but they are so musical you're not going to worry about that.

Forget the 685's - the Naims deserve far better. That said, in the same price range, the new Mordaunt Short Mezzos are worth a listen. It was listening to them with the Naim combination that convinced me the whole Naim thing wasn't just hype.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Couldn't agree more. With a quality like the Naim components you need £1k speakers or you are selling them short. Plenty of choice around that level. Forget the 685s - these are speakers to partner kit at the budget end, you are getting into serious hifi with the Naims.

rich51080

Jul 24, 2007
Visit site
I am a fellow Naim owner but instead of a Nait I use the pre and power combo.

I highly reccommend B&W 705 speakers. These are what I use with my setup and music is so enjoyable and rhythmical.

Failing the B&W 705'S I would go for some Dynaudio52se or Neat Motive 2 or Naims own N sat speakers.

A

Anonymous

Well, I feel that I ought to step in at this point and say at least try the Spendor SA1. They have the timing and musicality that will play up to the Naim kit well, although I haven't tried the pairing myself.

Also check out the Dynaudio Audience 52se as I know Jules really rates them on his Cyrus kit. Quite a different presentation to the Spendors I believe and you could probably find a good price.

A

Anonymous

Can't agree with you about the Triangles. Used the Cometes (leftovers from a failed home theatre setup) with the Naim and it wasn't a success. Triangles are exciting speakers with great presence, but the cost is hard treble which needs careful matching, i.e. a warm sounding amp and cd player, otherwise they quickly become unlistenable. That's the case with the Naim, unfortunately.

The larger Triangles might be better, but having heard quite a few I think generally that Naim and Triangle are not good together.

A

Anonymous

wow, so many speaker options to choose from - not to hijack the thread but has anyone tried naim 5i with Dynaudio Focus 110 ?

A

Anonymous

Well depending on your budget, the epos m12i bookshelf speakers, which are £525 or the neat motive 3 bookshelf speakers at about £725-£750... i think. but if your willing to spend more than £500-£700 then definitely go with the floor stand neat motive 2's (£945), the combo plays just about anything in a way i thought cd players couldn't play at this price. the bass is nice and smooth and punchy when loud. and they are also very, very detailed, e.g. when i was listening to Pink Floyd "time" i could hear the heartbeat in the back ground...either way audition this setup and if you have the money, buy it.

A

Anonymous

phew !! thanks Andrew I will stick to Focus 110 then. I like the styling of the new Excites specially the smaller floorstanders are just perfect size but havent heard them yet. The dealer told its more exciting/dynamic. Maybe good for home theater system in my view. I want something more intimate or relaxed.

A

Anonymous

wow thanx everyone for the tips!

the only thing is it can only go in a small-ish room and i wanna stick with Bowers and Wilkins speakers. The 685's are really really powerful for the money when i auditioned them :)

im stuck now, i might go and audition the BnW 704s now :)

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
aj_vader:

Hi, i'm new here and am purchasing my very first Hi-Fi soon.

I am purchasing the Nait 5i and CD5i. I listen to anything from Linkin Park's Music to Elgar's Symphonies.

I have been looking into the Bowers and Wilkins 685's as a pair for them.

Can anyone recommend any speakers to fit my Naim set up?

Thanx :)

Choose an efficient and dynamic speaker as the Naits are no rock'n rollers despite what some people may say. They lack serious grunt (that goes for much of naits range) though power is'nt everything. You've had most suggestions, some overpriced for what the Naits do but add rega to the list, they match well for less cash and are sufficient for the 5's.

letsavit

Apr 2, 2008
Visit site
naim is holmes:

Well depending on your budget, the epos m12i bookshelf speakers, which are £525 or the neat motive 3 bookshelf speakers at about £725-£750... i think. but if your willing to spend more than £500-£700 then definitely go with the floor stand neat motive 2's (£945), the combo plays just about anything in a way i thought cd players couldn't play at this price. the bass is nice and smooth and punchy when loud. and they are also very, very detailed, e.g. when i was listening to Pink Floyd "time" i could hear the heartbeat in the back ground...either way audition this setup and if you have the money, buy it.

How about the sniff from dave just before he starts the acoustics for wish you where here....have a listen for that...
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

precisely, its amazing how they work together, dont get me wrong turntables are the masters but the cd5i ect, combined...wow, stunning...so much detail.....

A

Anonymous

thanx for all the tips, would the 704's be too big and boomy for a small room? if so should i stick with bookshelf speakers?

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Taksinridgeback:

Can't agree with you about the Triangles. Used the Cometes (leftovers from a failed home theatre setup) with the Naim and it wasn't a success. Triangles are exciting speakers with great presence, but the cost is hard treble which needs careful matching, i.e. a warm sounding amp and cd player, otherwise they quickly become unlistenable. That's the case with the Naim, unfortunately.

The larger Triangles might be better, but having heard quite a few I think generally that Naim and Triangle are not good together.

Triangles and Neat are very similar to my ears, I know its has bright treble but very lively and so much pace that suited to the like of Naim and exposure. imo of course and as good as Naims are I couldn't live with them too long anyway
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

I'm also thinking of buying this set up and was wondering what speakers go well with the 5i.

Anyone tried out Triangle Celius speakers with the Naim

?

Is the Naim 5i amp capable of driving the Neat Motive speakers? Also it was mentioned that it would struggle with the Focus 110s anyone else tried these out?

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
WhiteZombie:

I'm also thinking of buying this set up and was wondering what speakers go well with the 5i.

Anyone tried out Triangle Celius speakers with the Naim ?

Is the Naim 5i amp capable of driving the Neat Motive speakers? Also it was mentioned that it would struggle with the Focus 110s anyone else tried these out?

I have try the Triangle with superNait a while back and thought they gel together quite well, the brightness is there but not a bad bright sound if you know what I mean.

Neat Motive are OK for Nait 5i to drive although they are harder than 92db Triangles. As for Dyn, I never heard the 110! I had 2 of contour range before and both pair do need plenty of power to get them singing sweetly.

Rega and Totem also should be on your demo list.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts