Nagging thought

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Hi all,

Opinion time. I have a Roksan Radius V (in maple) that does give a great sound.

However...

I've always wanted an LP12, but couldn't afford one. I have thought about selling it and getting a recently-serviced LP12 (probably have to be LP12/Basik plus arm due to cash restraints).

My problem is, would it sound any better, or would I be making a sidewards/backwards step?

John Duncan

Well it would be a backward step aesthetically...........

But seriously, I don't think it's possible to say - there are so many LP12 variants that it's likely the Radius would beat some of them and not others. But then you have the potential to upgrade it over time, obviously.

Tear Drop

Apr 23, 2008
Visit site
I wish people would ignore the hype surrounding the LP12, it is grossly overrated and a classic example of marketing triumphing over product quality (or lack of). At the very least have a dem with one before parting with your hard-earned, and ONLY buy second-hand as the retail price for a new one is totally unjustified on the grounds of sound quality.

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
I agree with JD regarding the aesthetics, although mine lives in a rack behind a door, so not really an issue.

TD, don't worry - I couldn't even afford the deck new let alone the arm/cartridge/psu etc. As for hype, I won't know until I have heard one in my system, will I?

I was thinking of a late 80s deck (one with the new PSU, not the old red button), maybe with a LVX arm - I suppose it is one of those "what if" things...

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
If you want a change (and want to try out a good suspended deck) consider an Audio-Note TT1 + RB300 (or RB250)

It is basically an up-to date Systemdek IIX with Acrylic platter.

They cost £599 + arm (£124 for an RB250)

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
good thought Chebby, but I'm quite happy with the sound of the Roksan - I've just always hankered after an LP12 (bit like I did over Naim pre/power amps), and just have that "are they as good as I read back in 1989" thought going through my mind.

It was a bit like that with bikes as well. I always wanted a Yamaha FZR1000, and finally got one back in 2002. I sold it 6 months later, but sated the urge!

I could always try to persuade the missus to release £500 or so from the savings, on the understanding that whichever one I like least goes back on ebay... but the chances of that are slim (the amps and speakers were bought this year).

Does anyone on this site have an LP12 (I don't remember any of the regulars having one) that could comment?

A

Anonymous

my friend had a new one on long term loan and whilst i did like the sound of it i probably wouldnt jump to change from your deck.

He was using a full linn system though and i don't rate the katan speakers that were on it so maybe that was the problem.

John Duncan

IMO? Keep the Radius. You're hankering after something from a nostalgic point of view. I waited and waited for months for the right Les Paul to come along because I just Had To Have A Les Paul, and when I finally got it........

Is under the bed now, hasn't been gigged for two years.

A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:IMO? Keep the Radius. You're hankering after something from a nostalgic point of view. I waited and waited for months for the right Les Paul to come along because I just Had To Have A Les Paul, and when I finally got it........

Is under the bed now, hasn't been gigged for two years.
It does make for a pretty avatar though.

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
True. Can't say an LP12 would be as good as an avatar
emotion-1.gif

Someday I will have to get one. Just to see.

I suppose there is always the thought that if I get one locally (i.e. can see it before buying it to make sure it is ok) and find the Radius to be better, I can always chuck it back on ebay...

Back-burner time I think...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts