Nagaoka warmer than Ortofon?

• Thread starter Deleted member 108165
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 108165

Having been through all the Ortofon 2M range from Red to Black, (the Bronze and Black are outstanding carts). Looking for advice regarding Nagaoka carts. Are they comparable as follows:

2M Blue = MP200

2M Bronze = MP300

2M Black = MP500

Do Nagaoka carts offer a "warmer" presentation than Ortofon carts, and are they quieter? The 2M Black is superb but can be a little noisy, (surface noise).

Many thanks in advance.

Waxy

May 15, 2014
Visit site
DougK said:
Do Nagaoka carts offer a "warmer" presentation than Ortofon carts, and are they quieter? The 2M Black is superb but can be a little noisy, (surface noise).

i went from a 2M Red to an MP-200. Definitely quieter, and warmer too.

D

Deleted member 108165

Waxy said:
DougK said:

i went from a 2M Red to an MP-200. Definitely quieter, and warmer too.

*good*. I thought after reading many reviews that this may be the case but it's still nice to double-check with an actual owner. Guess I'll have to give one of these Nagaoka carts a spin. I'll probably take the same route as I did with Ortofon - bought the Bronze cart and then added the Black stylus later; that would mean starting with the MP300 leaving me open to uprgrade with an MP500 stylus at a later date. At least the syli on the Nagaoka's are nowhere near as pricey as the Ortofons!

Is a upgraded "Stilton" cart from the 90's. It has a boron cantilever, and upgraded metal body, and the stylus is fastened with Allen bolts, which looks like the mp500 range. I've tried this on my turntable, against a clearaudio cart, and to my ears, it has the musical edge, sounding slightly warmer and fuller. The clearaudio is just a touch clinical, but still a very enjoyable cart. I find it very hard to chose between the two.

D

Deleted member 108165

Thank you to everyone. I'll take a look into all your recommendations, ta very much *good*

D

Deleted member 108165

Many thanks to all concerned. A new MP-300 is waiting for me at my local Parcelforce depot, purchased from Japan and even with landed costs of VAT and broker charges I still got it £140 cheaper than anywhere online in the UK. Cheers fellas *good*

DougK said:
Many thanks to all concerned. A new MP-300 is waiting for me at my local Parcelforce depot, purchased from Japan and even with landed costs of VAT and broker charges I still got it £140 cheaper than anywhere online in the UK. Cheers fellas *good*

Way to go Doug'sK. I did the same with my Zyx and got it for just over half the UK recommended retail.

D

Deleted member 108165

Al ears said:
Way to go Doug'sK. I did the same with my Zyx and got it for just over half the UK recommended retail.

The guy I dealt with on ebay was great, he has even offered future services for purchasing anything I may need from Japan, (he even included a sweet and a small origami bird in the box too *biggrin*). Two-day shipping from Japan and four days waiting for Customs/Parcelforce to contact me. Had a really nice chat with the guy at the Parcleforce depot too, he had a friend who used to work at the Goldring factory in Leytonstone, amazing!

Not fitted the cart yet but Ortofon take note: Nagoaka's packaging is incredible and puts Ortofon to shame!

D

Deleted member 108165

stevebrock said:
Dougk

Would you be able to tell me wo you used in Japan ?

cheers

Of course Steve, I used this seller on ebay: http://stores.ebay.co.uk/emmyjapan?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

If you want anything from Japan he also offers his services to source and ship anything you require, (if you would like his direct email just ask as I now have that too).

Nothing to hide here, the MP300 cartridge was £287 (shipping incl); import charges £64.40; Parcelforce clearance fee £13.50. There is no duty on cartridges but looking at my import charges I don't know what currency conversion HMRC used but I thought VAT was 20%, the figure I have been charged is around 22.5%, but I'm not complaining...

D

Deleted member 108165

Okay so maybe I haven't saved £140 as I've just found one online in the UK for £450ish, but I guess £85 saving is £85 saved...

Wanted to post the link but triggered the spam filter.

D

Deleted member 108165

Had the MP300 spinning today mounted on the Yamamoto wooden headshell, (no hum); what a lovely cartridge! Maybe not quite as detailed as the 2M Black but still very detailed in its own right, and silent in operation - no excessive needle-talk between tracks or throughout a whole lp. I've only managed to compare it with the ABBA vinyl collection I have, which have always sounded very bright, (and noisy), with the 2M Black; with the Nagaoka they sound sublime. Bit more dialling in to get it spot on but on the whole I think Nagaoka will be my cart of choice in the future *music2*

D

Deleted member 108165

stevebrock said:
wait until you try an MP500

I need to get the headshell slots extended by about 2mm to obtain correct overhang for the MP300; I'll be leaving this mod to a woodworking pro as my DIY skills are a little shaky where detailed carpentry is called for. Re-fitted the 2M Black again today and it was like listening to an old friend, such detail retrieval and bass defintion on this cart. Unfair to compare until I've got the headshell mod done but I may venture into MP500 territory in the furure as Nagaoka styli are so much cheaper than their Ortofon counterparts.

The 2M Black took about 50 hours before it truly settled in, what is the run-in time for the MP300/500?

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
just love Nagaokas

had an MP110 & MP200 on my RP6 loved them

Had a Dynavector 10x5, lovely detail just found it slightly forward.

Had a Benz Micro Ace on my Gyro very nice, great imaging.

I have now what I consider to be the best bang for buck out there £460 delivered inc import duty from Japan - Nagaokas flagship MP500, this thing sings like a bloody canary as much as the Benz & Dyn are great the MP500 simply is superb - vinyl is an absolute joy ! Love it !

D

Deleted member 108165

stevebrock said:
just love Nagaokas

had an MP110 & MP200 on my RP6 loved them

Had a Dynavector 10x5, lovely detail just found it slightly forward.

Had a Benz Micro Ace on my Gyro very nice, great imaging.

I have now what I consider to be the best bang for buck out there £460 delivered inc import duty from Japan - Nagaokas flagship MP500, this thing sings like a bloody canary as much as the Benz & Dyn are great the MP500 simply is superb - vinyl is an absolute joy ! Love it !

You are slowly selling this MP500 idea to me *biggrin*. My supplier in Japan stocks the MP500 stylus too! I'm trying to resist temptation but it's damned hard....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts