nadc320bee system and rs1 speakers

beachBOYken

Jan 1, 2008
Visit site
hi

ive just purchased the monitor audio rs1 speakers , but i must admit i never did a demo , anyway i would just like to know what other owners of the rs1 speaker think of it overall?

the speakers will go with a nadc320bee and c521bee cd player , i did have wharfedale 9.1s so im hoping the rs1 speakers will be an upgrade if thats what you could call it ,also perhaps in the near future i will get a better amp but for now im hoping the c320bee will do the job.

cheers

A

Anonymous

I have just bought a set of RS1's after owning the original S1.The S1 was a bit soft in the bass and this has been addressed in the RS1 model.I bought mine after demoing them against the bronze 2's and B&W's new 686 model.At low or mid listening levels it was no contest.At high volume the B&W's came close but sounded really dull at normal listening levels. They have the typical mon audio sound with a transparent, open balance and extended ( some say slightly too extended) treble.They can paint a good clear 3d picture with a mid range that is slightly forward so they can make vocals really stand out. A trait that i personally really like.They also have plenty of bass for a smallish speaker.They will not sound so good straight out of the box though and will be bright with a lack of bass.After a longish run in time they will fill out in the bass, lose the tinkly treble and sound much more balanced. I am thinking of getting a nad amp as i like the bottom end wallop that they have.I think nad would match up well with the RS1. The cambridge i have is not bad in that respect but can't match nad for bottom end slam.I reckon they will sound excellent with your amp and cd player, just remember not to judge them straight away and be aware that they are ruthless at showing up CD production quality.Play something well produced and you will be amazed.Play something with a rough production and you will hear it.

beachBOYken

Jan 1, 2008
Visit site
thanks for that,

my c320bee is if im correct only 50watts per channel ,should this be fine for the 80watt rs1 speakers?

also i might upgrade my amp anyway soon perhaps if nad bring out a new line i will get the c352ct amp which is 80watt per channal .

oh by the way can anyone recommend me a good bi-wire speaker cable.

cheers

A

Anonymous

[quote user="beachBOYken"]
thanks for that,

oh by the way can anyone recommend me a good bi-wire speaker cable.

cheers
[/quote]

QED Silver Anniversary Bi-wire is a good choice for what you need. It is always reviewed as fantastic. I used bi-wire speaker cable out of Maplin though so...I don't think it makes much difference until you start spending over the £2k mark.

Fifty watts of power, especially from a NAD, is quite sufficient to drive those speakers!

A

Anonymous

My experience of the RS1s is that they benefit from rock solid stands, preferably filled, with placement near a wall (but not in a corner). They sound fantastic and would probably not be outclassed with more expensive amps and sources. Adding a sub is a great way to upgrade them in future too :)

I use Chord Silver Carnival bi-wire (approx £10 a metre) to good effect and am unlikely to try more expensive stuff.

Experience has also shown that the RS1s benefit from being listened to without their grills nor their little metal tweeter grills. They can be removed using blue tack as they're held on by the tweeter's magnetic field, but I'd only recommend it if they're positioned well away from any movement. I walked past my old pair of Silver 4i's and my jacket brushed the dome of the left speaker. Then came the RS1s....

I've also found a little amount of toe-in helps to keep them focused, but that will be a matter of taste.

Your amplification is absolutely fine for the job. Although you're probably more likely to damage a speaker with an amp significantly lacking in power, 50W is plenty! The 80W rating of the RS1s is the maximum power handling, with a minimum recommendation of 25W. They're easy to drive too with nom imp 6Ohms and 90 dB sensitivity.

Enjoy them!

A

Anonymous

the nad amp, wlthough it only has 50w per channel, will be ok. Nad amps always have plenty of driving power. As for speaker cable, i have used qed silver anniversary.It is a good cable but for a couple of quid more you can get dnm reson mark 2.It sounds a lot better with a fuller slightly less bright sound.Ideal for those metal tweeters.Its about £7 per metre, but you may be able to get it for less.If thats a little expensive then the qed is fine.

beachBOYken

Jan 1, 2008
Visit site
hi

just to say thanks for all the help on here
emotion-1.gif

beachBOYken

Jan 1, 2008
Visit site
oh sorry just one more thing as im upgrading to the monitor audio rs1's do you think i will notice improvement from my wharfedale 9.1s which to me have always sounded a bit flat with no real punch?

cheers

A

Anonymous

[quote user="beachBOYken"]
oh sorry just one more thing as im upgrading to the monitor audio rs1's do you think i will notice improvement from my wharfedale 9.1s which to me have always sounded a bit flat with no real punch?

cheers
[/quote]

if you don't, you need a new set of ears.

A

Anonymous

Just wait and see! If you don't, flog your hifi, buy an iPod and take up photography...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts