Nad or Quad amp

S83 Trike

Jul 6, 2015
Visit site
I know they are similiar in power, but which is the better of the two, Nad C272 or Quad 606 power amp?

Is there an improvement in the Nad C275 over the C272?

Is there much improvement in the Quad 909 over the 606?

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Quad by far.

When i sold my roksan cd player a few months ago the guy brought in a quad power amp (shape of a narrow shoe box) now it sounded good at low volume. Much more detail than the roksan kandy but seemed very low powered and my kefs distorted at a very modest volume.

Im not sure the model but i have experience with nad c270 and and that had power to spare.

Maybe that was a very ild model that should have been bi amped or as a set of mono?????? Just saying youll know better than me

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:
Quad by far.

When i sold my roksan cd player a few months ago the guy brought in a quad power amp (shape of a narrow shoe box) now it sounded good at low volume. Much more detail than the roksan kandy but seemed very low powered and my kefs distorted at a very modest volume.

Im not sure the model but i have experience with nad c270 and and that had power to spare.

Maybe that was a very ild model that should have been bi amped or as a set of mono?????? Just saying youll know better than me

I do believe that shoebox Quad was in need of maintanance.

The biggest problem with NAD of the 90s and early 00's is that horendous lead free solder they used. A lot of units never made to their 10th birthday simply because of eco regulations about solder.

Then there is the appeal factor.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
S83 Trike said:
is the 909 a bit better than the 606, or is the 909 so much better?

It is essentially the same amp, just difference in age and availability in parts IIRC. I personally would get the one in best condition, possibly serviced not long ago. Some suggest to mod the Quad by changing the stock electrolytic cap in the signal path with a better one, or at least a new one.

One can use a simple passive preamp with it since it is under 1V sensitivity. Which means you can but you don't have to get the matching preamp. 606 has 0.5V and 909 has 0.77V input sensitivity.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I've never seen a Quad 77 Monoblock, but I would certanly loved to own two or more. :)

The 77 Monoblock delivers 150W into 8 ohms and 240W into 4 ohms.

Overload recovery is instantaneous and the amplifier is fully protected against over driving or misuse. It is designed to be driven just as hard as you want to drive it and it is virtually impossible to damage the amplifier.

A microprocessor continuously monitors the amplifier state and takes appropriate action. There are no fuses or relays in the signal path to degrade performance.

For multi channel or AV use the 77 monoblock versions make for an outstanding system.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
S83 Trike said:
Passive per amp - I am looking to use my Audiolab CDQ 8200 pre amp [digital] to partner a Quad 606 or 909.

So it should work ok?

Pluging a CDP directly in a power amp is not the best idea. If by accident the volume is at 100% and your way of turning it down is clicking - +... you will need a new pair of speakers very likely more than once.

As for compatibility, it should work fine. Worst case scenario a bit too loud too early on the volume scale, but as trends go many seem to like that.

S83 Trike

Jul 6, 2015
Visit site
The volume scale on the CDQ runs from - 80db to + 3 db and at the moment using my Icon as a power amp driving ATC 11's the volume is set at roughly between -21db and down to -17db this is depending on if I am using an 80's CD.-which I have found too quiet hence setting the volume to -17db to get the same volume level as modern CD'd set at 21db.

Hoping either the 606 or 909 will give me more umph as they are 140wpc but similiar tonely to my Icon.

S83 Trike said:
The volume scale on the CDQ runs from - 80db to + 3 db and at the moment using my Icon as a power amp driving ATC 11's the volume is set at roughly between -21db and down to -17db this is depending on if I am using an 80's CD.-which I have found too quiet hence setting the volume to -17db to get the same volume level as modern CD'd set at 21db.

Hoping either the 606 or 909 will give me more umph as they are 140wpc but similiar tonely to my Icon.

Either will give more umph. Nice those the Icon is the SCM11's love a powerful amp that delivers plenty.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts