nad c370 smell

donlogan

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
my nad c370 gives off a plastic type smell when its powered up it works fine and there is no smoke with the smell,i'm running it with a c272 there is no smell from this,i got the c370 second hand,does it need a clean or is it more than that

Kefref

Oct 18, 2014
Visit site

Doesnt sound very clever, i would be a little concerned and get it checked by a pro.

Quite possibly has the early stages of an electrical fault, or maybe a foreign object/substance inside

If you are electrically competent remove the case (obviously with power off and uplugged for a while to allow the power to drain) and inspect, If you are not fully competent then this is best left to a pro to check it over.

donlogan

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
i took it in for repair a while back it stopped working then i took it for repair and he plugged it in and it worked i told him about this odour,i think he took it apart to check things were ok internally,is it hard to remove the case and what would i look for,i may just get someone to have a look

Kefref

Oct 18, 2014
Visit site
donlogan said:
i took it in for repair a while back it stopped working then i took it for repair and he plugged it in and it worked i told him about this odour,i think he took it apart to check things were ok internally,is it hard to remove the case and what would i look for,i may just get someone to have a look

If you are not confident with this then its definately best left to someone who is, could be something on one of the hestsinks, a cable's insulation leaning against something, or a laundry list of other things, without seeing if first hand it is very difficult to diagnose.

matthewpiano

Are you giving the amp PLENTY of space? These amps were well known for needing lots of ventilation if I remember rightly, to the point where I would make sure it has nothing on top of it and nothing against its sides.

Any concerns with smells like this, get it checked out.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I would stop using the amp untill it is checked and repaired. If you go to a service tech after it completely fails, the cost will be more substantial.

It could be nothing, it could be serious. This forum is not the place to solve the dilemma. Have a pro check it out.

donlogan

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I think i'll get it checked again the smell is not continuall i have made sure i got a rack with ample space between the shelves,i have 100mm between shelves and nothing on the sides at all

Kefref

Oct 18, 2014
Visit site
Dont take any risks with faulty electrical equiptment. If in doubt get it checked by a Professional.

You dont want to end up with a spikey hair do, or worse!!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts