NAD C355BEE upgrade advice

pkerai

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I am currently have two amplifiers: Nad C355BEE, Cyrus 8.

I listen to complex music and require imaging,detail and soundstage.
And hence, I prefer the Nad for this.

The cyrus isnt bad, but lacks the 3d-soundstage and is better for other types of music.

I havent experimentd with them as much as I would have liked.

But I now require an upgrade for below £500.
I dont mind/prefer buying second hand.

What I really wanted to know is whether a product is available that can combine the advantages of both amps.
I mean as replacement, not addition.
I like the cyrus as detailed, punchy, forward and clear.

Any suggestions?

Mmmm... I'd suggest you look at the newer Cyrus. There's a couple of 8XPD at good prices; they add to the basic 8 or search out a Nad power amp to connect to the 356.

The closest I've heard to combing the two (loosely speaking) is the Leema Pulse. It has the detail, dynamics and agiliy of the Cyrus but has the guts, subtlety and solidity of the Nad, but this is the CLOSEST and not a hybrid.

pkerai

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Is this lemma pulse, the first.
Furthermore, what are sound differences between other such as rotel, audiolab, roksan kandy, naim.
Its just that id like to get some grounding on the sonic signatures of these and others, before i can narrow down and maybe even demo.
I also want to know what cyrus have done (if anything) to change the sound since 'cyrus 8'.
Because other then this, I dont rate them.

P.S. Do you you know any shops that have demo facilities for leema in London.

pkerai

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Since I have these two amps, Can I hook them up together for superior sound, or atleast just to experiment.
Is it safe, will it damage anything.

Also, which way round shall I do it......

pkerai said:
Since I have these two amps, Can I hook them up together for superior sound, or atleast just to experiment. Is it safe, will it damage anything. Also, which way round shall I do it......

Should be able to via the pre power out sockets, although there will be a sonic conflict. If they had similar tonal traits it shoul sound okay, but as the Nad and Cyrus are extremely different you may end up with a colossal imbalance.

[EDIT] Just found this http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/can-you-connect-two-integrated-amps-together

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
Previously I owned NAD C355BEE which coupled with MA RX1. I agreed with pp that if you want to upgrade, Leema Pulse is something good for you to consider seriously. It is a very good amplifier. I changed from C355BEE to Leema Impulse II and eventually to Leema Tucana II. I also changed my MA RX1 with Spendor SA-1 in my upgrades.

pkerai

May 25, 2011
Visit site
What does it mean to say the leema pulse is better.
(Im also assuming your referring to the first model)
Does it compose into the best of everything (sound wise) into this amp.
What, if any are its weaknesses.

Furthermore, What interconnects are best with the NAD C355BEE, since your a previous owner.

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
pkerai said:
What does it mean to say the leema pulse is better. (Im also assuming your referring to the first model) Does it compose into the best of everything (sound wise) into this amp. What, if any are its weaknesses. Furthermore, What interconnects are best with the NAD C355BEE, since your a previous owner.

I mean the overall SQ of Leema Pulse II is much better than NAD C355BEE. It is much clearer, more details, more dynamic and is neutral. When compare with NAD it lacks the bass department but IMHO NAD is over emphasised on bass and is muddy. NAD's HF is not as good as Leema Pulse. I used Chord Cobra II plus in my previous NAD (sold now). Somebody says Pulse II is lean but I don't have this feeling at all. My experience with C355BEE was that this amp. is good for heavy rock and metal music but not as good when playing jazz, classical and acoustics.

pkerai said:
I am currently have two amplifiers: Nad C355BEE, Cyrus 8. I listen to complex music and require imaging,detail and soundstage. And hence, I prefer the Nad for this. The cyrus isnt bad, but lacks the 3d-soundstage and is better for other types of music. I havent experimentd with them as much as I would have liked. But I now require an upgrade for below £500. I dont mind/prefer buying second hand. What I really wanted to know is whether a product is available that can combine the advantages of both amps. I mean as replacement, not addition. I like the cyrus as detailed, punchy, forward and clear. Any suggestions?

Hi pkerai

If you're happy to buy used amplifcation then the superb Densen Audio Technologies DM-10 or Rotel's RA-1062 are worth seeking out :)

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Inter_Voice said:
pkerai said:
What does it mean to say the leema pulse is better. (Im also assuming your referring to the first model) Does it compose into the best of everything (sound wise) into this amp. What, if any are its weaknesses. Furthermore, What interconnects are best with the NAD C355BEE, since your a previous owner.

I mean the overall SQ of Leema Pulse II is much better than NAD C355BEE. It is much clearer, more details, more dynamic and is neutral. When compare with NAD it lacks the bass department but IMHO NAD is over emphasised on bass and is muddy. NAD's HF is not as good as Leema Pulse. I used Chord Cobra II plus in my previous NAD (sold now). Somebody says Pulse II is lean but I don't have this feeling at all. My experience with C355BEE was that this amp. is good for heavy rock and metal music but not as good when playing jazz, classical and acoustics.

+1. The top-end on the Pulse is very controlled with a more powerful bass, if not as deep as the Nads. Otherwise the Pulse is superior to the Nads in every other way.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts