Nad, Arcam or Marantz

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

It's my first post so please don't kill me! ;-)

I have just purchased pair of Tannoys F4. I'm looking to get amp, cd and some cables.

Please can you recommend something to go with them...

I have a budget of max £600 for a brand new components. My room is about 30m2. I listen to different types of music from classic rock to U.N.K.L.E....

On my list at the moment:

Nad 325 bee amp + 325 cd

Arcam A70 + Cd73

Marantz PM6002 + CD6002

Thank You

matthewpiano

NAD. Easily the best out of the three you mention. The C325BEE is a personal favourite of mine. It has a full, punchy, and musical sound that suits a wide variety of musical styles.

The Arcam A70 is a very average amp IMO. Had one for about 4 weeks and didn't get on with it. Lifeless and lacking in attack.

Didn't like the MArantz stuff when I auditioned it either but that may have been more to do with the B&W 685 speakers which I'm not a great fan of.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Yes i agree with MP - The NAD system is very good out of those options and i'd go for that set up with Chord Carnival Silverscreen cable and Chord Crimson inteconnects.

The Arcam CD73 is a stonking little CDP but the Arcam DiVA A70 integrated amp is a little lifeless at times and wouldnt suit your tastes in music.

However the benefit with Arcam integrated amps is that they can be 'boosted' at a later date by adding on of their power amps. The Arcam A85 integrated amp and the matching P85 power amps are a superb combi but also the A85 on its own is good as well.

It may be worth having a nosey at eBay and seeing what items are on there (thats if youre happy with 2nd hand items of course).

Ill always stick to my guns and say that a better system can be bought on eBay for the money of a new system BUT you just need to make sure that the eBay items are being sold by an audio fan and that they have decent info about the item and obviously good feedback.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for advice MP and DAN!

I know you can get much more if you buing 2nd hand, but I had few problems going this route. You need to be very careful with ebay. Some time ago I bought ex-demo Creek Classic combo from dealer in 'perfect condition' and even had a listening session... but not long enough. Amp was start making crakling noises in one of the chanels after warming up. I got my money back but in my case I learn my lesson...

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
The problem you mentioned isnt that bad; to be honest it happens with a lot of amps, its basically dust getting in and around the selctors and its an easy fix!

I appreciate where youre coming from re eBay but its still worth while looking down that route.

T

the record spot

The present Marantz range is very good - I picked up a now discontinued SA7001 KI which, after some initial doubts has blossomed into a winner; over your budget, but they look to have continued their long standing pedigree into the new (and pretty smart looking) new range.

Are you set on one of these three manufacturers and want a one make system? I only mention it as the Audiolab 8000s amp is now widely available for around £270 or so. This is down from around the £500 mark. In addition you can add power amps to it in the future and this might be something that appeals. This still leaves you around £300 for a CD player although this assumes you are allocating extra for cables.

If you have a look at some of the special offers some of the independent hifi dealers have (e.g. Lintone Audio, Weymouth Hifi....just type in hifi special offers into Google and you'll get an idea of some of the dealers out there) you might get more for your money. Not sure where you are in the UK, but Vickers in York have some appealing deals.

(I don't work for them incidentally...living in Edinburgh, it'd be the hell of a commute!)

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
My previous system was NAD separates and my current is Arcam FMJ and i have used the A70 and CD73 combination as well before upgrading to the FMJ.

At current prices the Arcam CD73 is fantastic value and would be my CD of choice on a £250 - £300 budget.

I agree the A70 is detailed but can be a little lean if partnered with the wrong speakers. I would be tempted to combine a NAD amplifier with the CD73 if you dont mind mixing the brands.

I demod Marantz as well but just didnt like it nearly as much as either NAD or Arcam.

Before i sold my NAD 320BEE i thought it sounded good with the Arcam CD73.

A

Anonymous

I have decided on Nad 325/525 combo. I've just purchased brand new 525 cd for £129.99 inc delivery.
emotion-5.gif

You have suggested Chord cables to go with this NAD/Tannoy F4 system, but I have read that Qued cables/interconnects are good match with Nad or should I stick with Chord? Any opinions?

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
For your tastes in music i'd aim for Chord Carnival Silverscreen speaker cable and Chord Crimson interconnects.

NAD does sound well with QED but the newer Chord cables are really that good and they pip QED for a fuller soundstage

A

Anonymous

Evelith:

I have decided on Nad 325/525 combo. I've just purchased brand new 525 cd for £129.99 inc delivery.
emotion-5.gif

You have suggested Chord cables to go with this NAD/Tannoy F4 system, but I have read that Qued cables/interconnects are good match with Nad or should I stick with Chord? Any opinions?

Where did you find the 525 cd so cheap? is it new?

A

Anonymous

Dainewb:Evelith:

emotion-5.gif

Where did you find the 525 cd so cheap? is it new?

I bought it from HomeCinemaTv.co.uk. It looks like there is some stock avalible around but only in titanium....

A

Anonymous

I am very surprised to read that some people prefer a NAD 325 to an Arcam A70.
emotion-8.gif

I have owned NAD 320BEE and 315BEE, and also Arcam A65 plus and A80. For me, the A65 plus is a step up from the NAD 320 BEE. And I know the 325 is not better than the 320.

I can understand when people say that the A70 is a bit polite; but in my experience Arcam is far more "clean" than NAD (I'm talking about the entry level stuff, of course), with less grain and more musicality. It makes instruments sound more real.

Of course NADs are more punchy, and I really like them. But I would never buy a 320 or 325 instead of an A70, A65, A18.

Now, if we talk about the CDP, I think almost everybody (including WHF) agrees that the CD73 is one of the finest in its price range. And that price range is above the NAD 525. Come on; I have owned the CD73 and now I have instead the 521BEE, and I really miss the Arcam! It's far superior than the 521.

matthewpiano

Tannoyite:
I am very surprised to read that some people prefer a NAD 325 to an Arcam A70.
emotion-8.gif

I have owned NAD 320BEE and 315BEE, and also Arcam A65 plus and A80. For me, the A65 plus is a step up from the NAD 320 BEE. And I know the 325 is not better than the 320.

I can understand when people say that the A70 is a bit polite; but in my experience Arcam is far more "clean" than NAD (I'm talking about the entry level stuff, of course), with less grain and more musicality. It makes instruments sound more real.

Of course NADs are more punchy, and I really like them. But I would never buy a 320 or 325 instead of an A70, A65, A18.

Now, if we talk about the CDP, I think almost everybody (including WHF) agrees that the CD73 is one of the finest in its price range. And that price range is above the NAD 525. Come on; I have owned the CD73 and now I have instead the 521BEE, and I really miss the Arcam! It's far superior than the 521.

Depends what sort of sound you like. I thought the A65+ and A70 were both VERY average amplifiers and I've owned both. Both are very good at things like sound staging and seperating the layers of music, but both lack pace, atmosphere and drive and ultimately sound a little boring IMO. The A18 is considerably better than either but still suffers from some of the same shortcomings. For its all out musicality I would rather have a C325BEE than any of the entry level Arcams. The NAD is a stunning piece of kit and one of the best amplifiers under £500 IMO. I had one to replace my A70 and I enjoyed music so much more as a result.

The CD73 was a very capable player but I don't think the difference between it and the NAD is as vast as you suggest. In some systems, the slightly thick midband of the CD73 can sound a little stodgy and its certainly not the quietest mechanism ever made.

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
I didnt think the NAD amplifier was better than the Arcam A70 as the latter is more clear and detailed and presents the music better.

But for certain music i would say the NAD is punchier in the bass and can help balance out lean speakers where needed.

Overall i would say personally i prefer the Arcam A70 but the NAD is also a product i liked.

All that said, the Arcam FMJ 32 is simply way way above them both if you can stretch the budget !

As for the CD having owned both NAD and Arcam i think the CD73 has a wonderful look and sound - more than one person i knew went out and bought one after they heard mine.

A

Anonymous

crusaderlord:All that said, the Arcam FMJ 32 is simply way way above them both if you can stretch the budget !

If I could strech budget I would go with Roksan Kandy combo plus MA RS6 or B&W 684 or Cyrus 8 combo with Dynaudio's, but not in the near future...
emotion-9.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts