My Plans...

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi everyone,

This is not a post with a specific question, more of a general 'whats going on' one.

I bought the system listed below a few months ago and for a while was really pleased with it, and still am to a large degree. Here comes the BUT
emotion-4.gif

I've found with more complex pieces of music such as Nickelback, Green Day, Red Hot Chillis and those from other 'heavy' genres the marantz amp struggles to separate the individual parts of the tracks, leading to a muddled presentation. Recently a friend let me borrow their old Denon amp from the mid 80's and this did a far better job of playing these complex pieces and also produced a tighter bass IMO, so this convinced me it was the amp that needed to be changed in order to solve the problem.

So Im going to my local dealer during the next week or so to have a side-by-side comparison of the Marantz, Rotel RA-06 and hopefully NAD 326( they don't stock the 355) playing the 'problem' tracks. Fingers crossed after that I will have heard what the 685s(which i love) are really capable of.

Im also hoping to get a home demo of the Partington Super Dreadnoughts as Im curious as to how much difference these will make over my current Z2s

Finally Ive been thinking about how a sub would integrate to my setup to hit those really notes. Im amazed at the bass the 685s kick out so to me the addition of a sub is very tempting.They stock all the B&W subs and the ASW610 interests me. Though I may find if I do change the amp I will no longer have the urge to get a sub if i get a noticeable improvement from the amp. Though I would definitely like to demo one as I would like to see how it integrates with the 685s.

Which subs work the best with music under the £1K mark?So far Ive read Rel and MJ acoustics are good?

So as I said not a specific question but looking forward to the next few weeks and to my first significant 'upgrade'.

Comments on any of the above choices/questions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Your system is a good one but you have experienced the issues I have with Marantz gear full stop... It doesnt dig the detail out which you'd expect.

As for amps to demo I agree with looking at the NAD C326BEE but see if you can find somewhere that does the NAD C355BEE as well as the Audiolab 8000S which can be partnered with the 8000P power amp to great advatnages. The Arcam FMJ A18 integrated amp, Rotel RA-06 and possibly the Rotel RA-1520 amps should also be considered.

I think that you may find that if/when you change your amp, you may find a need to change your CDP as well. The NAD C545BEE CDP would be a very good choice as would the Rega Apollo CDP (if your budget can stretch that that). If not then the Arcam DiVA CD72 or CD73 (2nd hand via eBay) would be worth a punt; very detailed and smooth but will gel very well with the NAD and Arcam amps mentioned above as well as the B&W 685's.

With regards to subs; theres another post below:

http://community.whathifi.com/forums/t/412311.aspx

in which AlmaataKZ is looking for info re adding a sub to a hifi system. I heard both the B&W PV1 and B&W B&W ASW610XP along with the B&W 685 and CM1 speakers with NAD, Arcam and Rega gear and they were both superb but the PV1 did it for me due to its articulate bass and tautness but also its superb ability to gel with the B&W speakers soundstage

A

Anonymous

thanks dan,

The issue of the 355 is an interesting one, on their website it says they do stock it and give a price, but I was told before that they don't, so am querying this in an email to them.

I havent got the funds to change the cd player at the moment, but this could be an upgrade for the future, the main issue currently is the amp, but i agree with you that a matching combo would be best. It seems the rotel cd players arent as good as those from NAD/Marantz (going purely on whathifi reviews), is this the case?

The PV1 does look like an awesome proposition, does the 500w rating of the sub not overpower the rest of the frequency range? I would have to save A LOT to get one but living off only baked beans for a few months may be a small price to pay
emotion-4.gif

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
jammers999:
thanks dan,

The issue of the 355 is an interesting one, on their website it says they do stock it and give a price, but I was told before that they don't, so am querying this in an email to them.

I havent got the funds to change the cd player at the moment, but this could be an upgrade for the future, the main issue currently is the amp, but i agree with you that a matching combo would be best. It seems the rotel cd players arent as good as those from NAD/Marantz (going purely on whathifi reviews), is this the case?

The PV1 does look like an awesome proposition, does the 500w rating of the sub not overpower the rest of the frequency range? I would have to save A LOT to get one but living off only baked beans for a few months may be a small price to pay
emotion-4.gif

Haha; sometimes sacrifices are needed
emotion-5.gif

In agreement the Rotel CDP's havent had an easy time recently; I havent demo'd any of them myself as the guys as the hifi shops I've frequented have said that they're not the best currently.

The NAD C355BEE amp would deffo be worth demoing so try and ensure you can do that before deciding on an amp but as I said; the NAD C326BEE amp is a belter for it's price and when I demo'd it a while back with the NAD C545CDP and Monitor Audio RX2 speakers; I found it to be a superb combo and actually prefered it over the NAD C355BEE amp!

With regards to the PV1 sub; no, it didnt overpower the speakers at all. It moulds really well with the B&W 685's and CM1's soundstage but it also filled in that low level frequency gap as to be expected. This was with solid, taut bass though; not boomy at all!

Well worth a demo IMO but you may end up falling in love with it and then you'll kick yourself as you cant have it straight away
emotion-4.gif

A

Anonymous

Thanks for that info about the rotel players, is it wise to mix and match brands with regard to amps and cdps?

I look forward to hopefully demoing the PV1 along with some of the other b&w subs that are slightly more 'in budget'.

I'm hoping the dealer will offer me a part exchange deal on the amp as its in perfect condition with all boxes/manuals etc, do people think this is reasonable to ask?

Thanks

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
TBH I've not come across many dealers that do that; you may be best to try and sell it via eBay and the likes, I think you'll have more success
emotion-1.gif

With regards to mixing and matching CDP's with amps; that's fine. Some work with other brands as well as their own; some better and some not as good.

CDP's like the Rega Apollo gel with many brands (NAD & Arcam as well as Naim) to mention a few.

A

Anonymous

if you are happy with the old Denon amp that was connected to your system, audition the newer amps, and if you are not entirely happy, search for the same model Denon amp on ebay

when and if it needs refurbishment, it can be cheaply done, and you can recap with good caps such as Elna Silmic II or Blackgate FK

A

Anonymous

I had the same Marantz combination - I found that it somehow lacked pace with rock music. A change of amp has made a huge difference to my system. Can't comment on the sub possibility.

A

Anonymous

daskeg:

I had the same Marantz combination - I found that it somehow lacked pace with rock music. A change of amp has made a huge difference to my system. Can't comment on the sub possibility.

the Yamaha CA 1000 is a very good amp and would be unfair to compare it to the Marantz
emotion-5.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts