My First Hi-Fi System

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Esra

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Did you consider the Peachtree combo with the Kef?Why do you not consider the 220SE anyway.It is the newer device and 1 box less.I would demo it with the Kef R700 as R-Series really sound good with some d-amps (newer B&0 icepower like the 220SE,NAD M2,Devialet and some DIY amps).

Lemon

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
Thanks Esra. Yes I will try to test 220SE tomorrow. The problem is that KEFs and Hegel is distributed by one HiFi shop and B&W with Peachtree by the other one. :) If I want to make a good deal than from a financial perspective it makes more sense to buy everything in the one shop. KEF and Hegel H80 (BTW I need integra) sounds pretty good but still I have some doubts. B&W sounds simply different.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
If I had to choose without listening, that's the choice I'd make, but your ears are not mine! I suspect (I don't know for sure) that the Hegel + KEF is the more accurate combination of the two.

Me too.

I am familiar with the R700s but not the Hagel.....but from what I've read (and Steve's description), I think it would be a spectacular combination. The R Series like a clean sounding amp with control.

assault

Jan 31, 2015
Visit site
Thank you all!

Today I'll finally do my final choices. The problem is that my dealer offered me two great DAC at incredible (and same) price.

Final setup: Marantz PM6004 + Dali Zensor 3.

DAC: Cambridge DacMagic 100 or Arcam rDAC Wireless?

Which one of this two DAC sounds better with the combo Marantz+Dali? I know that both of them are good DAC and I'm only interested about the USB input, not the wireless (whereas the optical and coaxial are a good plus). I've heard that the rDAC is quite better, but I'm afraid that with the Zensor 3 my system will be too bass-oriented... am I wrong?

Let me know. Thanks.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Asynchronous USB is no guarantee of low jitter. Many cheaper versions of the asynchronous USB input do not use a fixed oscillator and instead use a frequency synthesizer and therefore have worse jitter. Be careful what you buy. A good SPDIF will blow a bad asynchronous USB input in to next week.

assault

Jan 31, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the advice.

Anyway both Cambridge and Arcam seems to be good DAC, isn't it? The problem is that I have a lot of dubt:

- Arcam seems better than Cambridge, but is too bass-oriented for Zensor? Or is it a good match?

- I read that the Wireless version of Arcam rDac has a low quality USB input, and also it supports "only" 96KHz through USB... Cambridge seems to be more flexible beneath this point of view

assault

Jan 31, 2015
Visit site
BIG PROBLEM!

Inside the box there isn't the power chord. In my house I've only three prong plug, but the Marantz need a two prong. I know that the third (central) prong is for earth, but I don't know if I can damage the amp by using a three prong (from an old PC).

It's a temporary solution, but I need to try it right now ;) hope you can understand me.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts