My first hi-fi system

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi to everyone,

I am planning to purchase my first hi fi system and I am on a budget of 2000 euros for one stereo amp, standmounted speakers (but without stands yet), an ipod dac or dock, a radio tuner and a wi-fi media hard drive with remote. My biggest concern though is the match of the amp with tha speakers. I am thinking of the Cambridge audio Azur 650A with two Monitor Audio Silver RX1s or B&W 685s Should I also consider the marantz PM6003 as well? I prefer the more powerfull Azur (75W) against PM6003's 45Watts but would the power output be an issue at high levels with the above speakers? or is this irrelevant? Anyway which is the best match between these four components? Thanks for your help. I am also open to other suggestions withing this price range (amp + speakers = up to 750 - 800 pounds)

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Welcome to the forums
emotion-5.gif

It would be handy to know what music you listen to and also will you consider 2nd hand seperates?

Having looked at your list I'd also be tempted to add the NAD C326BEE integrated amp as well as the NAD C545BEE CDP.

Also have a look at the Rotel RA-04 amp and possibly the Rega Apollo CDP.

As for speakers the Monitor Audio RX2's would be worth demoing; these are more on par with the B&W 685's IMO but the Dali Lektor 2's and maybe the Rega RS3's could be worth looking it.

scene

d_a_n1979:Welcome to the forums
emotion-5.gif

It would be handy to know what music you listen to and also will you consider 2nd hand seperates?

Having looked at your list I'd also be tempted to add the NAD C326BEE integrated amp as well as the NAD C545BEE CDP.

Also have a look at the Rotel RA-04 amp and possibly the Rega Apollo CDP.

As for speakers the Monitor Audio RX2's would be worth demoing; these are more on par with the B&W 685's IMO but the Dali Lektor 2's and maybe the Rega RS3's could be worth looking it.

Also add to that list the size of your listening room and distance the listening position would be from the speakers; some speakers need a bit of air around them to sound good and if you're only 2m away from them they may not work. The Nads are a good suggestion for an audition, and should work well with MAs or B&Ws

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
With so much conventional 'radio' available via either PC, iPod (or equivalent), or via cable, I would seriously consider dropping the tuner from your list - you can spend the money on other items. I have not listened to my tuner for a looooooong time and may even remove it from the system altogether.

Oh, and don't forget to budget for some decent interconnects and speaker cables - you don't have to go mad, but certainly consider a step up from the wires you get out of the box.

Of course, others may disagree...

scene

ESP2009:
With so much conventional 'radio' available via either PC, iPod (or equivalent), or via cable, I would seriously consider dropping the tuner from your list - you can spend the money on other items. I have not listened to my tuner for a looooooong time and may even remove it from the system altogether.

Oh, and don't forget to budget for some decent interconnects and speaker cables - you don't have to go mad, but certainly consider a step up from the wires you get out of the box.

Of course, others may disagree...

Agree on the above - though I have occasionally used the tuner on my receiver.

As for interconnects. Any digital ones (optical or hdmi) don't need to be that expensive to be good as digital is digital (I'm sure I've just started an argument
emotion-1.gif
). Analogue ones might be worth looking at on e-bay - you can get good deals on second-hand ones and, if they don't work out, sell on for less loss - it's a good way to get interconnects as people always want to upgrade (scratch that itch...)

Speaker cables - the WHFSV favourite of Chord Carnival Silverscreen or QED Silver Anniversary XT are a great starting point that won't break the bank (?40 say for a typical stereo set up).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts