My first Hi-Fi system build

strojman

Feb 26, 2015
Visit site
Hi to all of you hi-fi lovers

I think the subject of this thread says all about me. I'm a complete amature in the world of hi-fi audio, but nevertheless i really like listening to music, i like good sound wheh i hear one, and because of that I decided to spend some money building my first hi-fi system (at least i call it hi-fi). My budget is about 1000 euros (without the speakers) and currently I'm considering two builds, one based on Rotel RA-12, and other based on Marantz PM7005.

My idea is to use these amps for playing music which will be primarily stored on my NAS device (WD My Cloud). And here is where dilemma sets in. How do I connect NAS to the amps. Of course using the computer is an obvious solution, where the Marantz amp is advantageous because it has USB-B connection. Other option is to use my Samsung Smart TV for streaming music to the amps through the optical cable. I'm also considering gettting a dedicated network streamer like the new Marantz NA6005 or similar.

I was also wondering if i can connect my android tablet device to the amp using OTG cable and USB-B connection and then stream music using a DLNA app installed on my tablet.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
This is the simple option, a decent amplifier with built in netwok capability. There are a fair few in the budget range, Yamaha, Onkyo etc, but when you try to move up a quality level or two, they largely disappear.

One of the few I can think of is the Nad D7050, functionally great but needing very careful system matching. Otherwise it means a move up to complete players in the Linn Sneaky or Naim Unitiqute class, sadly over budget.

Otherwise you will need a separate streamer, another expensive option.

What are you doing for speakers by the way?

unsleepable

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Both amps you are considering have optical inputs, and your NAS is DLNA-compatible. So you could just add a cheap DLNA player (renderer) and use your phone as a controller.

The Naim UnitiQute is a possibility if you don't mind buying second-hand. But as the Nad D 7050 this is a low power device, so whether this is a good option or not depends also on the speakers you are going to use and the place where you will play them.

rainsoothe

as far as I understand, some NAS devices, if not all, can interface directly with a USB DAC - one user here on WHF said he plugged an Arcam iRdac into a Synology NAS - but the thing is the DAC needs to be on the supported NAS DAC (lol... "nasdac"...) list. And then you control it with the NAS multimedia app. So something like the Marantz, Micromega MyAmp, Nad D 3020 or Quad Vena could be a safe bet. Or a cheap DAC (like a Schiit) if you don't wanna be locked into one of those two particular amp brands. Or used Naim Unitiqute (1 or 2) - which is a great piece of kit.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
For the non expert, this is all about funtionality and ease of use.

A network amplifier or a dedicated streamer are simple to set up in a hi-fi sense and easy to use. A month or two back I had a play with the Yamaha RN500 and it worked beautifully, Nas streaming, internet radio, Spotify Connect etc. With a pair of Zensor 3s (or 5s for a little more), it made a very useable system for around £600.

The problem came when looking at the next level up, say £1200 ish all in. Few amplifiers at this level are networked, you are expected to buy a separate streamer but this pushes the price up substantially for little or no benefit. The D7050 is an exception and is both more powerful and better sounding than you might expect, but that said it will not suit everyone and it seems uncomfortable with some speakers.

There is a huge gap in the price range for 'complete' solutions, the RN500 is around £300, but a Unitiqute is four times that.

An interesting and completely off the wall suggestion might be the new Cambridge CXN network streamer/pre-amp (£699..?) and a Behringer A500 power amplifier (£140). Well within budget and very capable, the CXN seems to do everything and the A500 is potent enough to drive any likely speaker choice.

Rico

Feb 27, 2015
Visit site
Why not the Cambridge Audio Minx Xi, its retailing for £400 in the UK at the moment, its a cheaper alternative to the Naim UnitiQute

newworld

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site
When it comes to streaming, user interface is just as important as sound quality. Bluesound Node works really well in this regard, not to mention its sound quality out of analogue output.

rainsoothe

unsleepable said:
rainsoothe said:
as far as I understand, some NAS devices, if not all, can interface directly with a USB DAC - one user here on WHF said he plugged an Arcam iRdac into a Synology NAS - but the thing is the DAC needs to be on the supported NAS DAC (lol... "nasdac"...) list. And then you control it with the NAS multimedia app. So something like the Marantz, Micromega MyAmp, Nad D 3020 or Quad Vena could be a safe bet. Or a cheap DAC (like a Schiit) if you don't wanna be locked into one of those two particular amp brands. Or used Naim Unitiqute (1 or 2) - which is a great piece of kit.

I don't think that the OP's DAC can work like that. The Synology is very different in that it's pretty much an independent host that can control a DAC. But the WD does not seem to work as a player.

So something like the D 7050 would work. But the D 3020 wouldn't, as the system would be still missing a player.

i see. Well, besides the D7050 there's always the cheap dvd/bluray player as a streamer and optical/coaxial into dac if he don't like the Nad sound. Many boxes and messy though :) I'd stick with used UQ :p

unsleepable

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
rainsoothe said:

I don't think that the OP's NAS can work like that. The Synology is very different in that it's pretty much an independent host that can control a DAC. But the WD does not seem to work as a player.

So something like the D 7050 would work. But the D 3020 wouldn't, as the system would still be missing a player.

Rico

Feb 27, 2015
Visit site
Used unitiqutes are rare and go for £700+ a NAD d7050 is £650 on offer what's wrong with the minx xi? There's not a single bad review that I've seen so far and if you find one used you can get it for less than £300, I'm only bringing this back because I'm in the same boat as the OP

is a unitiqute2 really £850 better than the Cambridge?

rainsoothe

Rico said:
Used unitiqutes are rare and go for £700+ a NAD d7050 is £650 on offer what's wrong with the minx xi? There's not a single bad review that I've seen so far and if you find one used you can get it for less than £300, I'm only bringing this back because I'm in the same boat as the OP

is a unitiqute2 really £850 better than the Cambridge?

well it doesn't really work like that. And most important, it's all subjective. That's why you should let YOUR ears decide, not what I say or some 5-star review says. That being said, if I had the money, personally ye, I would go for Naim, 'cause I love their house sound. And they can drive speakers properly. But you might find the difference not worth it, or even prefer the Minx. So try to audition :))

strojman

Feb 26, 2015
Visit site
I've had an opportunity to test/listen to both of the amps I mentioned earlier. The amps were connected to the B&W 685 S2 speakers. In my opinion Rotel sounded better, but I wouldn't complain about Marantz either if I were to buy one.

B&W speakers are great, I really loved them, and probably will not look for others (unless you think I could get better speakers for that money).

I am aware the Cambridge audio launched a new CX series of components, so I decided to wait for couple of weeks more to test the CXA60 amplifier.

In the meantime I have to decide how to feed amp with the music from NAS device.

unsleepable

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
strojman said:
I've had an opportunity to test/listen to both of the amps I mentioned earlier. The amps were connected to the B&W 685 S2 speakers. In my opinion Rotel sounded better, but I wouldn't complain about Marantz either if I were to buy one.

B&W speakers are great, I really loved them, and probably will not look for others (unless you think I could get better speakers for that money).

I am aware the Cambridge audio launched a new CX series of components, so I decided to wait for couple of weeks more to test the CXA60 amplifier.

In the meantime I have to decide how to feed amp with the music from NAS device.

Maybe something like this.

Rico

Feb 27, 2015
Visit site
Humm, this thread has helped me alot, realistically I never play CD's, or LP's, I like to instantaniously play whatever i fancy that second, so I use my music library on laptop most of all or even youtube if I don't own it yet, my wife however likes spotify, the NAD D3020 has bluetooth too which is nice to listen from a tablet or phone

Realistically in our flat we like to have fun listening whilst were doing other things, appreciate that the NAIM UnitiQute will drive the speakers properly, thats important, I haven't heard the CAmbridge Minx Xi yet, so don't know will have to have a listen and report back, however I have heard a NAD D3020 driving a pair of KEF LS50's and they sounded lovely, I was impressed how well a little class D amp sounded driving speakers double it's price. No doubt the UnitiQute will sound better if anything.

Rico

Feb 27, 2015
Visit site
To be honest never heard about it until you mentioned it, specs sound good, but i personally rather go for something more popular, theres so much stuff out there, I think that its better to go for models that have stood out? however onkyo is well regarded, i wonder if anyone has heard how it sounds

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts