my A-Z of Hifi

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Andrew Everard"]
[quote user="fr0g"]Andrew, can you please not use my name on the forum... I know many do, but I like to keep that as separate from online sources as possible... thanks,[/quote]

Mysterious, but deleted.
[/quote]

Thanks... Not mysterious. I like the anonymity... :) Although if you google my name, my flickr page comes up first which IS mysterious.

John Duncan

[quote user="fr0g"]Although if you google my name, my flickr page comes up first which IS
mysterious.[/quote]

Good photos fr0g. HDR?

(Edit - stupid question of course, because they do have high dynamic range, but did you use a particular technique?)

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="JohnDuncan"][quote user="fr0g"]Although if you google my name, my flickr page comes up first which IS
mysterious.[/quote]

Good photos fr0g. HDR?

(Edit - stupid question of course, because they do have high dynamic range, but did you use a particular technique?)[/quote]

cheers, yes, I use photomatix for the hdr (or more correctly tone-mapped) pics.

A

Anonymous

I employ the same effect on my photos to create character - I usually give the tone curve an S shape in photoshop CS2. Then I give a boost in contrast and some colour here and there and give it a border and jobs done! My lenses are from 1985, but good old Minolta glass is unbeatable for colour accuracy.

Some very, very nice photos though Fr0g!

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Hughes123"]I employ the same effect on my photos to create character - I usually give the tone curve an S shape in photoshop CS2. Then I give a boost in contrast and some colour here and there and give it a border and jobs done! My lenses are from 1985, but good old Minolta glass is unbeatable for colour accuracy.

Some very, very nice photos though Fr0g![/quote]
cheers.
A couple of my fave HDR shots...

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
What do I need to be able to take picture like the 3 pictures posted above? I am well lost now....
I have the SLR canon with lots of different lence and my photoshop skill is still back at the 5.5 years!....but willing to learn :)

John Duncan

[quote user="fr0g"][quote user="JohnDuncan"][quote user="fr0g"]Although if you google my name, my flickr page comes up first which IS
mysterious.[/quote]

Good photos fr0g. HDR?

(Edit - stupid question of course, because they do have high dynamic range, but did you use a particular technique?)[/quote]

cheers, yes, I use photomatix for the hdr (or more correctly tone-mapped) pics.[/quote]

You might be familar with chromasia - he does quite a bit of interesting HDR stuff - not something I've ever done, in fact most of mine is more graphic, very *low* dynamic range. But I'm an amatchur.

John Duncan

[quote user="Andrew Everard"]
[quote user="JohnDuncan"]Actually, I just got a very Mr Toad car. You'd like it.[/quote]

'Fess up...

[/quote]

Nah, it's only a hire car while my X-reg heap is teased back to life (an environmentally friendly approach, i feel). But the hire company were obviously quiet cos they basically pointed at all their cars and said "take your pick, all the same price". So I took the Wolfsburgtraktor...................

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Thaiman"]What do I need to be able to take picture like the 3 pictures posted above? I am well lost now....
I have the SLR canon with lots of different lence and my photoshop skill is still back at the 5.5 years!....but willing to learn :)[/quote]

The simplist way is to use the AEB (Auto exposure bracketing) feature. Set the gap between exposures as high as it will go, and then get your camera nice and sturdy (preferrably but not essentially, on a tripod), and when you press the button it should take 3 shots one after the other. One a little under exposed, one about right and one over exposed.

2nd get a trial copy of photomatix pro (google it), and put the 3 shots into it. Create the HDR, then select Tone-mapping... You can make something look really otherworldly, or stick to natural HDR, but it;s all good fun. Look in the HDR groups in Flickr for some really cool stuff (mine is pretty amateur)

It works really well for land/sky shots, as it's nigh on impossible to get both the land and the sky exposed correctly. With this method you essentially combine the 3 shots to get the correctly exposed bits from each.

TRENDING THREADS