Musical evolution takes its first breath

Okay, the only way I can shake myself out of boring complacency, and get this 'new leaf' rolling is to ditch the Arcam CDP.

I've been looking at the more expensive end of Bluray players, and kill two birds with one stone. Seen a few good deals recently, especially with Marantz stuff.

I've not seen or heard any Blurays, but the replacement needs to be at least on par with the Arcam. So given my set-up which Bluray player is the best or better at CD repro?

*I know this should go into the Bluray section, but as I'm most concerned about musical qualities, I've dumped it hear.*

T

the record spot

For Blu-ray audio, the same caveats apply as per SACD or hi-res downloads; it's in the quality of the mastering. The Led Zep BR only disc is excellent however and the sound from my Panasonic BDT110 is excellent, CD replay is good too on the occasions I've tried it out.

the record spot said:
For Blu-ray audio, the same caveats apply as per SACD or hi-res downloads; it's in the quality of the mastering. The Led Zep BR only disc is excellent however and the sound from my Panasonic BDT110 is excellent, CD replay is good too on the occasions I've tried it out.

Cheers, RS. I think this will be the barrier with most formats. My current Sony DVD-R is fine at playing CDs, but not the level of the Arcam. It won't be the main source as I'm biting the bullet and going streaming route, however, given there's about a thousand cds in my collection I need to do them justice.

T

the record spot

Yep, know what you mean PP. Of course, if it's going through a separate DAC, then that mitigates it somewhat, but I like a player to have some individuality about it - you don't get that with the BR players in the sub-£500 bracket I think.

clinton333

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Hi...

I can vouch for the cd playback quality, great flexibilty and ease of use of the Oppo bdp105, as an owner...

However you may find something like the Cambridge audio bd751 more in line with your current CD73T?

http://www.froogle.richersounds.com/product/blu-ray/cambridge-audio/azur-751bd/camb-751bd-blk

Cheers

I'm going to put the Arcam on Gum Tree and see what I get for it. I'm hoping to achieve in the region of £200 +, given I've owned it from new and is, cosmetically, in fantastic condition. Still works faultlessly; have the original box and approx six month old remote which I purchased from Unilet.

I'll give it go and see where it takes me.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Why do you think I'm kickin' the Arcam into touch?

Because you've explained that you are going to sell it...

plastic penguin said:
I'm going to put the Arcam on Gum Tree and see what I get for it.

...and because it's in your OP...

plastic penguin said:
Okay, the only way I can shake myself out of boring complacency, and get this 'new leaf' rolling is to ditch the Arcam CDP.

A

Anonymous

I agree with the others about the Oppo, had very good reviews + the high quality of their DAC chipset gives great comfort - ESS Sabre 32.

Cambridge Audio Azur 751BD

http://www.whathifi.com/review/cambridge-audio-azur-751bd

I know you mentioned Marantz already and I'd agree - it's the one Blu Ray player that's stood out in the last few years as having been commented on for it's audio abilities.

http://www.whathifi.com/review/marantz-ud7007

http://www.whathifi.com/review/ud7006

miggyboys said:
I agree with the others about the Oppo, had very good reviews + the high quality of their DAC chipset gives great comfort - ESS Sabre 32.

Cambridge Audio Azur 751BD

http://www.whathifi.com/review/cambridge-audio-azur-751bd

I know you mentioned Marantz already and I'd agree - it's the one Blu Ray player that's stood out in the last few years as having been commented on for it's audio abilities.

http://www.whathifi.com/review/marantz-ud7007

http://www.whathifi.com/review/ud7006

Thanks MBs, I've heard a lot of good feedback about the Oppos. Unfortunately I'm a bit of a "stick in the mud", and the thought of buying something unfamiliar gives me a nose bleed. Moreover, I love Marantz musicality on amps, CDPs and tuners, so wondering (hoping is more accurate) whether the Blu-rays replicates their other components, especially tonally. This is the main reason I've not considered Cambridge: Not over keen on their presentation, and the 651 or newer model, allied to the Leema and MAs could render the overall sound too bright.

philipjohnwright

Jun 26, 2009
Visit site
Plastic

Before you splash out on something new to play physical discs I'd get the streaming side of things sorted; you may find you very rarely play discs after. That's certainly my experience, once the Mac Mini / rDac were up and running my Meridian 508 was consigned to upstairs, where it sits sliently to this day. New discs get ripped straight away, if I absolutely need to play anything immediately it goes into the old Sony BlueRay, which itself goes through the rDac. Using your DVD player in similar fashion would allow you to spend more on the streamer / DAC (get a streamer with digital inputs and kills two birds with one stone, or go the computer / DAC route instead)

nb if you get an rDac spend an extra £20 on upgrading its power supply; Maplin do one that is well worth the money. Not quite night and day but tidies everything up, all for the price of a takeaway.

Cheers, Phil

Neuphonix

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
philipjohnwright said:
Plastic

Before you splash out on something new to play physical discs I'd get the streaming side of things sorted; you may find you very rarely play discs after. That's certainly my experience, once the Mac Mini / rDac were up and running my Meridian 508 was consigned to upstairs, where it sits sliently to this day. New discs get ripped straight away, if I absolutely need to play anything immediately it goes into the old Sony BlueRay, which itself goes through the rDac. Using your DVD player in similar fashion would allow you to spend more on the streamer / DAC (get a streamer with digital inputs and kills two birds with one stone, or go the computer / DAC route instead)

nb if you get an rDac spend an extra £20 on upgrading its power supply; Maplin do one that is well worth the money. Not quite night and day but tidies everything up, all for the price of a takeaway.

Cheers, Phil

Hi PP

I agree with this, once you get into the swing of things I doubt you'll find yourself playing too many CDs anymore. It only takes a little longer to put a disc into your PC & rip it. Then you have it done for the next time, just a matter of changning your habbits.

That being said I think the Oppo is for sure the best option if you do want a combined CDP/bluray player. Now that the BDP105 is out you could probably pick up some great deals on the previous BDP93 or the 95. I bought the Nuforce upgrade for mine which completely changed the analogue outputs, sounded heaps better.