music solution

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Currently using a squeezbox duet to stream music via my nas. I sold a lovely rotel cd/amp set up a year or two ago to go for this modern version with home cinema capabilities and to say i'm underwhelmed is itself an understatement. Music quality is ok but the software is so bad that it takes about 20min to get the nas and player to connect. Even then, some tracks won't play despite all being saved in the same flac format and playing fine via media monkey on my pc. In short it's going on ebay and i need a new solution. Any advice? I don't want to spend thousands and still looking for a streaming solution with a dedicated music player, preferably something i can expand to different rooms later. Many thanks as always.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
dgriffiths77 said:
Currently using a squeezbox duet to stream music via my nas. I sold a lovely rotel cd/amp set up a year or two ago to go for this modern version with home cinema capabilities and to say i'm underwhelmed is itself an understatement. Music quality is ok but the software is so bad that it takes about 20min to get the nas and player to connect. Even then, some tracks won't play despite all being saved in the same flac format and playing fine via media monkey on my pc. In short it's going on ebay and i need a new solution. Any advice? I don't want to spend thousands and still looking for a streaming solution with a dedicated music player, preferably something i can expand to different rooms later. Many thanks as always.

I can't comment on the set up, but I'd only use a NAS if I needed multiple user access to the storage. You would be better of with an external HDD in the first place.

If you want multi room functionality, there are many ways to achieve this and obviously a lot depends on budget and what sort of system you want. For example, Sonos would be the obvious choice, but there are examples from similar systems. AV receivers can be used for multi room setup, computers, a NAS based server, all sorts.

Do you want hifi type speakers or one box all in one units?

Lots of options, just a matter of doing a bit of research.

Firstly, I'd look at an external HDD and go for direct plug in to the SB and have it pull the music files, rather than have a NAS push the files through.

A

Anonymous

thanks for the reply. So my current setup is all running through a Yamaha RXV671. Speakers are B&W speakers to front, rear and centre with a B&W sub. I'm using a ReadyNas Duo that supplies files to the Squeezebox Duet. I'm not that network savvy so want something fairly simple. I'm not too sure how I would connect an External HDD to the squeezebox. Ideally i'd like to have a networked cd player that would output to the amp and something that can access my flac files from the netgear easily. looking at other forums i wondered if the Onkyo CR N755 would do me? could it pick up the nas files or as it has usb could i just plug an external hdd straight to it? is there a better option to connect to my amp as I wouldnt connect speakers straight to the onkyo? would this make the onkyo a waste of money considering i wouldnt be using the onboard amp? if so what would be an alternative? Sorry - lots of questions.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts