Music separating software

Brizzol

Feb 16, 2022
Visit site
Hello everyone.

I recently filmed a dance show with a Canon XA11 camcorder, also using two wireless microphones (to pick up stage/audience noise) running through a Xenyx Q1202 audio mixer.
I thought it had all gone well but upon reviewing my footage back home on the pc I have noticed something strange going on with the audio.
One of the numbers in the show was a tap dance, of which the tapping was picked up fine by my two microphones, but for some reason the music that was playing alongside it kept on lowering the volume briefly whenever there was tapping.
I would describe it like when a radio dj is doing a link with music playing over it and the music lowers whenever he starts talking, if that makes sense?

I dont know if this is some weird sound setting in my camera or if its caused by my mixer, the only way i can think of fixing this is to find a music separator program that is capable of isolating the tapping so i can add it over the top of the music track.
Would anyone know of any such program? All i can seem to find is ones that can remove vocals from a track.
Thanks for reading.

Gray

I know you previously said you use manual level control on your camera, but what you've described is a classic auto level effect .
(Probably noticeable during recording on your monitoring headphones?).
Whether it's the camera or the mixer, something is reacting to the higher level taps and ducking the overall level - so the music dips too.
Even if you could separate the taps, you'd be left with with the dipping music - editing software can do some clever stuff, but you might have to manually boost all the dips.
For the future I'd suggest checking there's no compression switched in on that mixer.
If you record with different mics to separate tracks, you can do your preferred remix in the editing - avoiding any unusable audio.

Brizzol

Feb 16, 2022
Visit site
I know you previously said you use manual level control on your camera, but what you've described is a classic auto level effect .
(Probably noticeable during recording on your monitoring headphones?).
Whether it's the camera or the mixer, something is reacting to the higher level taps and ducking the overall level - so the music dips too.
Even if you could separate the taps, you'd be left with with the dipping music - editing software can do some clever stuff, but you might have to manually boost all the dips.
For the future I'd suggest checking there's no compression switched in on that mixer.
If you record with different mics to separate tracks, you can do your preferred remix in the editing - avoiding any unusable audio.
Thanks for your reply Gray.
I know it does look like some kind of auto level problem but I cant figure out how as I definitely had it all in manual.
That's another weird thing as i didn't notice it at the time but that could possibly be be cause the venue speakers were pretty loud, the mixer does have compression but that was all off as well.
I have original copies of all the tracks so if i could separate the taps i could easily edit them onto a new piece of music.

Reactions: Gray

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts