Music Recording Quality

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

I would add Diana Krall to Dave Brubeck on list as good nourishment for hi-fi, so thanks.

It is quite interesting, because I got the impression that Adele and Duffy seem relevant to the same kind of audience, and I didn't get the impression that Adele's CD had been messed around with too much. I might look into who produced it, and may be give it another listen.

I ordered a stack load of Johnny Cash in the early hours of this morning. Some of his American series sound really good to me, and I hope that some of the live jail performances and Sun recordings follow form.

Added a load of Elbow CDs in same order, but am quite nervous ordering contemporary stuff now, which I know is bad, but can't help it.

gwynne61

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
Elbow's new album is certified by turnmeup.org so no compression, full range recording
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

I've been marveling at the sound quality of 'Where The Light Is' John Mayer's new live cd. It sounds amazing, not only that the music itself is amazing.

A

Anonymous

I have an arcam amp simply because its that or chuck a third of my collection away, and the hifi is only there to play the music. Its useless if it sounds great for 20 mins than needs turning down, and off before the cd is through. Im particularly fussy about high frequencys and firmly believe its better not to have them than get them gratein at me.

dunno if it still stands, but whf used to list there demo matterial and comment on it. It got me to buy a couple of cd's that i wouldn't of tryed otherwise. I do like listening to my kit do a good job, but still have to put up with the arcam reining it in for them other cds to still be useable.

I find a healthy helping of tissue hung over the tweeters can cure many a nasty sounding system for a short time. Better without than with rubbish. Is that just my britishness? lol

Greenwich_Man

Sep 6, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin:Greenwich_Man:

I too find it frustrating when recordings are poor

I have a couple that I regard as really good...

1) Peter Green Splinter Group - Greatest Hits

2) John Mayall's 70th Birthday Concert

As for poor

Early Beatles CD's

What is it about the sound quality you find frustrating? Is it a lack of clarity, punch, bass depth, detail or presence? Because I have a load of Beatles stuff. . .and you have to allow for that any Beatles albums are recorded original 4 & 5 track analogue recorders. Therefore there's only so much techno guys can do, limited by the fact that most were originally done in mono.

I can understand the irritation, but I think we have to accept that some older recordings [and newer ones] just don't translate to digital as well as others (IMHO).

Yes I understand that they had inferior kit, but take a listen to the Love CD - they have taken that stuff and made a real good job of it - most of the Beatles CDs we get in this country have not been updated in quality since the CD was invented - even though there has been much improvement in putting old stuff onto Cds

In fact the 1st 4 Beatles Albums are still only available here as mono recordings on CD - even though you could get the LPs in stereo. They just wont do anything about it! To get Stereo you have to search for imports - it's a poor do!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts