Music Fidelity X10v3 Tube Buffer?

BowserWilkens

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
Hi there,

a certain Mr Penguin :wave: has helped me already (audiolab 8000s thread), but I would still like some input from others concerning the Music Fidelity X10v3 tube buffer.

Does anyone have experience of this device or its ilk?

I'm considering sticking it between my denon 4311 & Audiolab 8000s. My music comes from iTunes on my mac mini, to my denon 4311 via optical cable. The 4311 acts as a preamp for the front loudspeakers (B&W P6s) and is then connected to the Audiolab's power-amp-in via Goldkabel interconnects.

I like the sound quality but I'm still after improvements without spending too much. The X10v3 is going for around 100pounds.

I do intend on getting a separate DAC later (irDac, Nad or Denon) but would like to see (better, hear) what else I can do to improve the sound before doing so.

Thanks,

BowserWilkens

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
With all possible respect, I'm getting a DAC anyhow - Do you have experience of this tube buffer? Otherwise, your reply doesn't help much. Would you, or indeed anyone else, care to elaborate?

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
Used to own the X10 (the first model) and the V3 model... I used it in between my MDP and CDP. It does inject a bit of warmth and also tube like sound.... biggest improvement was with the MDP. However, in this wide market of DACs, unless you can get the V3 for very cheap, you will get more improvement with a better DAC. Do not need to go both way DAC and buffer.

BowserWilkens

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
Yo,

So I finally picked up the Musical Fidelity X10 V3 tube buffer for a measly 100 euros.

I've popped it in between my Denon 4311 & Audiolab 8000s. After about 3 hours of listening to my favourite tunes, I'm smiling.

First, I listened without the buffer hooked up & played the "25 most played tracks" from my iTunes collection. Rinsed & repeated but this time with the little buffer in tow. While listening, I busied myself with paperwork & a little reading. Sometimes I find this to be a better test of sound quality compared to intently listening & doing nothing else. If you look up, if you are distracted from what you're doing by something new in the music track you know so well on your system, you can be more sure that something has changed for the better. I looked up a lot once the buffer was hooked up. If anything, my system was a little analytical before (guess this would be characteristic of a Denon/Audiolab set up) but while no clarity has been lost with the buffer, there is a warmer and more analogue sound to the music. I like it; it's kind of a mix of old & new that gives the best of both worlds.

There is of course the possibility of tricking yourself into thinking that whatever you've bought MUST improve things. Then again, what's so very wrong with tricking yourself to make yourself feel better?

Nonetheless, my wallet is a little lighter but my smile is a little wider...........

If you see one cheap, give it a go.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts