Music Collection – is it just me?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
Simon Lucas:
Alphabetically by artist, and in chronological order of release within artist.

The fact that it orders alphabetically by first name was almost enough to make me abandon iTunes altogether. However, I now pass the long winter evenings by instructing iTunes to list by surname (in the 'sort by' options inside 'get info'), because my OCD (and I'm pretty sure that's what it is) won't allow David Bowie (for example) to be filed under 'D'. Because that's an abuse of the language. Obviously.

Compilations go under 'V' for 'various', and then alphabetically by title within that. Bands like 808 State or 13th Floor Elevators go after 'Z', in numerical order (of course). Bands like The Beatles or The Fire Engines are filed under 'B' and 'F'. The The are filed under 'T', after Ten Years After but before This Mortal Coil.

I cannot find the 'sort by' option under 'get info'. Does it exist in iTunes 10 for Windows? I only sort by first name to match iTunes and would love to get back to normal.

Having read all this thread I now realise that I have lost it in the compilations arena as mine are vaguely by type i.e. chillout, 80's etc but actually quite random. Good news - that means I cannot have full on OCD or it would be perfect! LOL

Red Dragon

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Xanderzdad:Simon Lucas:

Alphabetically by artist, and in chronological order of release within artist.

The fact that it orders alphabetically by first name was almost enough to make me abandon iTunes altogether. However, I now pass the long winter evenings by instructing iTunes to list by surname (in the 'sort by' options inside 'get info'), because my OCD (and I'm pretty sure that's what it is) won't allow David Bowie (for example) to be filed under 'D'. Because that's an abuse of the language. Obviously.

Compilations go under 'V' for 'various', and then alphabetically by title within that. Bands like 808 State or 13th Floor Elevators go after 'Z', in numerical order (of course). Bands like The Beatles or The Fire Engines are filed under 'B' and 'F'. The The are filed under 'T', after Ten Years After but before This Mortal Coil.

I cannot find the 'sort by' option under 'get info'. Does it exist in iTunes 10 for Windows? I only sort by first name to match iTunes and would love to get back to normal.

Having read all this thread I now realise that I have lost it in the compilations arena as mine are vaguely by type i.e. chillout, 80's etc but actually quite random. Good news - that means I cannot have full on OCD or it would be perfect! LOL

I checked that too (how sad are we ?! lol) and I think Simon means that you have to manually input surname first then first name in the sort box of the itunes manager thing...could be wrong tho ?

But seems like a step too far for me anyway and to go through all the artists and change them now would literally take weeks for me!

A

Anonymous

Xanderzdad:

Always a silver lining eh Xanderzdad
emotion-2.gif
Lots of great responses which has both cheered me up no end, gave me a chuckle or three
emotion-4.gif
and restored my faith in the philosophy of order
emotion-19.gif

Enjoy the music (as long as its in the correct place!)

Nick

A

Anonymous

Alphabetical by artist, then sort of chronological by release date, but my clearest indication of OCD tendencies is when I deliberate about whether to have the albums all together then EPs/singles afterwards, or strictly chronological regardless of the format.

Strictly speaking I've got a particular type of OCD. It's called CDO - that's with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
emotion-15.gif

A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:
emotion-4.gif
Also, you're method denies people hours of 'fun'
emotion-2.gif

Simon Lucas

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
Xanderzdad:

Highlight the artist you wish to store correctly rather than be dictated to by an illiterate multinational company. Go to 'file' and click 'get info'. Then click 'sorting' and in the 'sort artist' box type the correct format (e.g. 'Buckley, Tim'). Done! One down, many many thousands to go.

That's the beauty of OCD. If it doesn't involve a disproportionate amount of effort it's not OCD at all, it's merely "behaving like a bit of an ass".

Quickben

Oct 10, 2007
Visit site
A-Z, ignoring "The", then chronological within artist. Artists with numbers go by the first letter of that number (808 State = E). Various after the Z's in alphabetical then Classical in alphabetical then Jazz in alphabetical. I use first names not surnames, to keep it in sync with iTunes.

New albums stay on top of hifi rack until I've listened to them a couple of times. They then get ripped ALAC to iTunes and then shelved.

I am, however interested in trying a genre based sorting system, but I think I'll have trouble pigeon-holing some of my albums. How do those of you who use genres handle those kinds of albums ?

A

Anonymous

Quickben: I am, however interested in trying a genre based sorting system, but I think I'll have trouble pigeon-holing some of my albums. How do those of you who use genres handle those kinds of albums ?

Ben- Dont forget the 'subset of a micro genre'
emotion-5.gif
No? Perhaps Nick HomeCinema can enlighten you
emotion-2.gif
!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts