Music and Home Cinema

SiUK

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
Hello.

I would like to replace my KIIRO DA-AV5 all-in-one system (no DTS or DTS HD or HDMI etc) something that I can listen to music as well. I was thinking perhaps of using my existing Mission 751 speakers as the front pair and buying Q acoustics for centre rear and sub. I have a Cyrus II and PSX PSU and a TEAC VRDS10 which I've played my music on for 20 years. So the music quality is really the most important aspect of any new setup. Would an AV receiver plugged into the Cyrus amp be the best option? I read somewhere that you could do that.

Any advice would be very much appreciated,thanks.

SiUK

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone know whether an Onkyo TX-NR609 would be suit my purposes? Would it be okay with music? Although I'd like the home cinema sorted, I mainly listen to music ...it is of primary importance but then I wouldn't want to be just 'putting up with it' for the home cinema.

Thanks.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
The Onkyo TX-NR609 does not have pre-outs!

I would have had to spend another £300-£400 to get an AV amp with pre-outs so I decided to spend the difference on a seperate set of av speakers - I started with the MA BX2 & centre first (£350) and added the surrounds and sub (soon) at a later date.

I use the 609 everyday for TV, films and internet radio - it's a great amp. But for CD sourced music I use my hifi.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Indeed you can, a Cyrus amp will certainly benefit you for music. You would run your fronts off the Cyrus delivering a better stereo performacnce. CnoEvil is very good on this topic, so I'm sure, when he see's this, he will advise you

SiUK

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
Sorry for long delay. Been very busy with this and that. Now have time to reconsider options, and thanks for above replies. However, after much discussion (lots of it) I (we) have decided that it is time for a compromise and therefore I need to seek towards a single solution that can handle both HC and and be as kind to my music as possible. Okay, I'm aware of limitations, but needs must and all that. With this in mind, could anyone here give me any advice on partnering the following equipment?

LG 42LA620V

ONKYO TXNR818

Cambridge Audio Azur 752BD

I was thinking of maybe trying the existing Mission 751s as front speakers in the set up and use them for stereo music as I do now, and use my existing Audioquest Crystal speaker cable, except get the connectors at Cyrus amp end changed to 4 connectors (the Missions are biwired so cable is 4 to 2 so I'd need to get them modded to 4 to 4) and bi-wire at the Onkyo end as well as I think I read that was possible. Also thought I could use my existing Audioquest Emerald interconnects (I use it between the TEAC VRDS10 and Cyrus) and use it between the AC Azur and the Onkyo for audio CD listening. Then get speakers and cables for surround sound, like the Q Acoustics range.

I'd appreciate any advice here.Thankyou very much.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
duaplex said:
CnoEvil is very good on this topic, so I'm sure, when he see's this, he will advise you

Pressure!

(Sorry only spotted this now)

Here is how I'd be thinking (and it's personal)

- Given you like Cyrus, check out Pioneer as well

- Audioquest make good cables

- The front 3 speakers are better matching

- Conider Kef R Series / LS50 if budget allows for front

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
The Onkyo TX-NR818 or another AV amp in the same price range will give you lots of features including the pre-outs that would allow you to use your Cyrus amp for 2 channel music. But I would be more concerned that your front and centre speakers match tonally, and that when you complete the 5.1 speaker set up - that all the speakers are at the same SQ level (price band).

Personally I decided to do without pre-outs and use the cost difference towards purchasing a corresponding 5.1 speaket set up.

If your 751's are 'keepers' find a matching centre speaker, or if you can be patient, decide on a 5.1 speaker range that matches the 'level' of the 818, and purchase them piecemeal as and when you can afford them (getting the centre first).

abacus

The only way is to compare them to see which combination suits.

One suggestion I would make though is to try a Panasonic BDT 500 Blu-Ray Player, (As it’s designed to be good with music) and with the money saved go for a more expensive AV Receiver, as the more expensive ones tend to be better with music. (The larger Pioneer models are tuned by a professional music studio (Air Studios) so should definitely be on your list)

NOTE: Try the Panasonic using both its digital and analogue outputs.

Hope this helps

Bill

his dudeness

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
the 751s are still great speakers,see my sig,75 series come up all the time on the bay, keep a look out for a 75c got mine for 50 quid in mint condition,use my system 50-50 music,movies and continues to blow me away,you really should match speakers.

SiUK

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for all replies. Gave me a lot to think about. After much (and I mean much) consideration and brain bending deliberation with significant other I have decided to ditch it all and start from scratch.

Yesterday the drawer on my TEAC VRDS10 refused to open again (motor runs but tray needs pulling out). This together with crackles and drop outs on the Cyrus 2 pots (requiring application of switch cleaner and frantic twiddling of input dial for temp cure) pushed me towards retiring the old set up rather than fixing. It has provided 21 years of almost daily service. And I mean it has had a hell of a lot of use. So, soon I shall be sticking them back in their original boxes and I'll decide what to do with them later. But I'm looking for a complete change, so have pretty much decided to keep only the cabling.

After looking at all the opinions on dedicated vs combined set ups I'm going for combined. It has to be the way forward for me. 'We' want the space freed in our small front room really (and SO insisted on this and she is actually right on this one and I agree). So pretty much set on getting a Cambridge Audio Azur 751R and Azur 752BD combo and later perhaps - after establising what the 752BD can and can't do - get a CA Stream Magic 6 and a NAS server and rip all my CDs to FLAC. So, really going for a complete change!

Still haven't decided on a speaker package yet, but the fronts have to be good for every type of music but particuarly for acoustic and vocal stuff, but not has aggressive in the high frequencies as as the 751s . To be honest, I've always found my set up to be a little on the bright side...but 21 years later it's a bit late to whine about it. Also, have always felt the absence of the lower frequencies; the 751s can't deliver in that respect....well no smaller speaker can really. But I'm not after deep bone rattling bass in any way (really don't want it at all in fact), because one, I don't enjoy my innards being pummeled, and two, I do have neighbours and I'm a nice fella and don't want to piss them off; nothing worse than putting up with someone else's bass relentlessly booming through the walls! That said, I'd like something that goes down a little deeper than the Missions are able to and something that doesn't audibly bottom out and 'flubb' the notes when they can't deliver like the M751s do.

I do like the surround experience, and I clearly don't want to ignore it, hence the CA AVR, but after spending the bulk of my budget on the Cambridge audio stuff I have to consider the cost of the speakers and the size. SO wants small, unobtrusive surrounds and centre etc. but I won't have a dinky front pair. I have to say, in a small room speakers hanging off of every wall is a bit too much, I get that, but the fronts are for my stereo music so...

Anyhow, if anyone can suggest speakers I'd be much appreciative. Forget the Missions as a guide for taste. The setup was always a compromise really. I started out listening to music through BBC valve amps so I like a slightly warmer sound really, but without the loss of detail.

Cheers.
smiley-smile.gif

SiUK

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
http://youtu.be/rRgOpG4clV0

Moving stuff about at the mo but this is my (not ideal) set up and gives an idea of room size and other issues...made vid on samsung mini so quality obviously not great. As you can see not a big room so speakers can't be massive. Will be emptying room and widening void in chimney later this year, creating shelf space inside the void to allow for two components to sit on each shelf, and speakers will be on either side of chimney..which is where I had them for 10 years (pulled forward and toed in).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts