Multi-zone -usage in reality

Amadeus1756

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

Not really sure where this question should go - its kind of general advice I'm looking for.

I am hoping to move house soon. I don't intend to have a tv in the living room but in the room (snug) next to the living room. I need to buy an av amp and speakers and may get a large tv. I don't watch much tv but love films. That bit is easy.

I have a mac mini running xbmc which I use to stream my ripped films. Currently this is plugged into the tv along with pvr but they will plug into amp eventually.

I have an iPad 3 which i will play music through also in the snug. Im looking at an arcam drDock for this - looks as if it does a good job and is not fiddly to dock the device so easy to use.

Here is where the fun starts. I want to also play music in the living room so what's the best way of achieving this?

If I buy a decent amp, it will have multi-zone capability (I think this will be stereo only which should be fine). Would it be sensible to get an additional drDock and drill a hole in the wall to connect this to the amp? But how do I control the amp from the living room? Would I need to get an rf remote (thinking now, I think Yamaha amps come with 2 remotes - not sure if these are rf but will look into that)? Would both zones be completely independent? I could watch a film, wife could listen to music?

Any thoughts or suggestions welcome - assume nothing! :)

Thanks very much

Amadeus1756

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Wondering now whether a Sonos would be suitable. WhatHiFi seem to like them but I'm not sure I understand the architecture. Where does the music get stored and how does it get there (assuming I want to listen to music I've purchased as opposed to streaming)? And how many zones can I have?

Amadeus1756 said:
Wondering now whether a Sonos would be suitable. WhatHiFi seem to like them but I'm not sure I understand the architecture. Where does the music get stored and how does it get there (assuming I want to listen to music I've purchased as opposed to streaming)? And how many zones can I have?

1) Music is stored either in your computer or NAS drive. Sonos will read off that.

2) Up to 32 zones are possible with Sonos.

Amadeus1756

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Thanks guys. 32 zones sounds like it would be enough for the shirt term... :)

Will have a look at the squeezebox as well tho.

Do you know hat the sound quality is like (on the sonos or squeezebox)?

Thanks

TRENDING THREADS