Multi-disc players vs CD players

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi everyone

I'm currently thinking about purchasing a new CD player to match my Creek amp, but was also possibly considering a one-box multi-disc player such as the Cambridge Audio 650BD.

I'm mostly into music, but the price of the 650BD is really tempting - £399 (for a machine which plays practically every disc out there) vs £499 for the CD-only player from Creek.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the standard of music reproduction of multi-disc players? Obviously it might not be quite up to the standard of the Creek, but will I really be able to hear the difference between the two on an everyday basis?

Glad to hear your thoughts!

Oliver

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Hi, I've been delighted with the 650BD for music (as well as SACD and blu-ray) but Cambridge have the higher spec version 751BD coming out very soon, that should be even better on the audio front. (there's a brief video review of the nuts and bolts from CES on this site). Many also rave about the Oppo as a multidisc player but haven't compared them myself.

A

Anonymous

That's good to hear - think I might stick to the 650BD as it's a lot cheaper and I'm not really into 3D. My other option apart from the Creek Evo CD player is the Audiolab 8200CD - it's been getting some amazing reviews.

Still undecided as to the real value of a standalone CD vs the 650BD - guess I'll have to try and arrange a demo.

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
Assuming you have 700 quid to burn as u r also thinking of Audiolab, why dont you buy the 650BD first. If you dont like the CD replay on it, you can add a DacMagic or Arcam rDAC at a later date.

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
I demo'd the Audiolab when I bought my CM5s - excellent sound, but I didn't head-to-head with my existing 650. The 650 has been very good, and as El Hefe has suggested, you can experiment with possibly better DACs later - the 650 has been flawless for me so far. Just played the Tom Petty Audio Blu-ray (!) of Damn The Torpedoes last night on it. PCM Stereo, or even DTS-HD Master Audio. You can't do that with an Audiolab 8200 :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts