Muffled vocals from Totem Sky & Musical Fidelity M5si

rab

Sep 30, 2024
Visit site
I have a pair of Totem Sky driven by Musical Fidelity M5si. Right from the get-go the sound has been muffled, particularly with vocals. I hear this with vinyl, CDs, and digital sources. I have tried more break-in, probably at least 60 hours at this point, but it does not seem to be improving. Is this a bum pair? Or maybe a bad amp pairing? I’ve tried different placements, but the issue is quite pronounced in any configuration. I bought the speakers and amp as a pair and so haven’t been able to try them independently of each other.

Reactions: Revolutions
Might be a dumb question, but are both tweeters actually working? If you put an ear right next to them (avoiding excessive volume, obvs.) you'll know. It doesn't seem to be something you'd expect from those speakers otherwise, and MF amps don't tend to be lacking in clarity.
It is possible you have a duff pair of speakers but doubtful.
No reason this pairing should not sound great.
How have you got them wired up?
Did you buy them from a shop?

I might suggest taking the speakers to a dealership or friend and getting them to wire them up to their system. Still sound muffled??
Did you buy the pair without auditioning?
From a dealer or from someone else?
Unfortunately speakers do not dramatically improve over time. If they don't sound right from the outset don't buy them, unfortunately this sort of advice is not going to help you in this particular situation.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts