MQA CDs anyone?

D

Deleted member 108165

Gray said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m31r1GHPPdA

No thanks. Hopefully they'll die out just as quick as all the other hi-res formats, especially with the special MQA kit you need for playback. Who needs it? For me SACD offered something tangible but that failed to make an impact. This is just another way of trying to part us from our cash by purchasing the same albums again. I'll be sticking with my CDs, SACDs and LPs... The most important factor for me is the master being used, not the format,

nopiano said:
DougK said:
daveh75 said:
Gray said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m31r1GHPPdA

******** codec meets legacy format...

Well put Dave *good*
I agree with both of you. MQA might have been handy a decade ago on dialup internet. Now it’s just Bob Stuart’s pension fund, he hopes.

+1

It may still have a place for the streamers amongst us but that's about it in my opinion.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
davidf said:
DougK said:
For me SACD offered something tangible but that failed to make an impact.
Maybe it’s time for SACD to make a comeback? At the time, and along with DVD-Audio, a push was made about the multi-channel benefits - surely that is more relevant then ever now? Particularly with 5.1 Bluray audio discs being available.
I wish SACDs would make a comeback but can’t see that happening it basically came out at the wrong time and to late and now we get music sound formats codes that most people do not understand and basically blinding and confusing people with science .

And making new sound formats that involves you buying new kit or paying though the nose for is not really helping a new format it’s killing it before it’s got a chance to be anything but we have seen this before with other formats in the past and the same will happen with the 4K format I am afraid because £25 for a film is expensive and you have to really like the film before paying £25 and some of the blu-rays are just as good quality .

Anyway back to music formats I would of thought it would of been better to get things right at the start of a album when it’s first been recorded right though the hole chain to the gear you play it on and prices that everyone can afford that would make good sense I think .

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Most of SACD is upsampled 16/44 and in some case also remastered with added loudness to simulate higher resolution. Louder always sounds better.

If we want better sounding music, we need the industry to do better at recording, producing, mixing, mastering, etc. The packaging after all the damage is done is irrelevant. Independant artists who do their own work throughout the process often sound better than what multi-million dollar studios and hot shot producers end up making.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Some of the big recording artists are not bothering to make a physical album anymore as it’s just to costly to make one and it’s cheaper for them to make the album and go straight to download .

Ozzy Osborne was asked if he was going to make a new solo album and he turned round and said no way it’s just to expensive to make one theses days and he has making albums for 50 years and a lot of new bands or singers are finding out that they can make more money through YouTube theses days .

I totally Agee with you it should start at the recording studio as that’s where quality recording should start but doubt if a lot of modern music artists are not bothering and more interested in making money over anything else .

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
Ozzy Osborne was asked if he was going to make a new solo album and he turned round and said no way it’s just to expensive to make one theses days and he has making albums for 50 years and a lot of new bands or singers are finding out that they can make more money through YouTube theses days .

He has more money than oil sheiks, it's a marketing stunt. He's following the trend because everyone now hates the music industry and going 'independant' is what the cool kids do. The album will sound equally **** as if it was made in a high end recording studio, and it's probably still going to get distributed everywhere on every format anyway. How much will the promotion spend on advertising?

BTW - Why would anyone buy this on SACD?

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

He has more money than oil sheiks, it's a marketing stunt. He's following the trend because everyone now hates the music industry and going 'independant' is what the cool kids do. The album will sound equally **** as if it was made in a high end recording studio, and it's probably still going to get distributed everywhere on every format anyway. How much will the promotion spend on advertising?

Not keen on foo fighters but i would all of the black sabbath albums and Ozzys solo albums and most of my music collection but its just to much money to do that .

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
Vladimir said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

Not keen on foo fighters but i would all of the black sabbath albums and Ozzys solo albums and most of my music collection but its just to much money to do that .

Unless it was recorded originally with 2.8224 MHz sampling rate, it's the identical thing you have on regular CD.

I think of it as memorabilia or merch for the fans. Cinephiles also buy different formats of their favorite films, even if they are recordings from the 1940's.

Vladimir said:
Most of SACD is upsampled 16/44 and in some case also remastered with added loudness to simulate higher resolution. Louder always sounds better.

If we want better sounding music, we need the industry to do better at recording, producing, mixing, mastering, etc. The packaging after all the damage is done is irrelevant. Independant artists who do their own work throughout the process often sound better than what multi-million dollar studios and hot shot producers end up making.

Can I just say that I question the evidence for that first sentence.

Vladimir said:

Perhaps SACD discs of some older material might have been a better quote.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Al ears said:
Vladimir said:

Are you saying that Dire Straits – Communiqué was recorded, produced and mastered at 2.8224 MHz?

I'm too lazy to look up 'evidence' in videos and forums where people proved the 16/44 and the DSD included in the same SACD are identical. Logic will suffice.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Al ears said:
Vladimir said:
Al ears said:
Perhaps SACD discs of some older material might have been a better quote.

That would be all of the SACD catalogue.

And a lot of that was derived from analogue tapes so not sure where you get the upsampled CD bit from.

I was being generous with the 16/44 digital masters. Tape is archeology territory, not high resolution audio.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Al ears said:
Oh, and there are still people recording new material directly to DSD and issuing SACD discs.

That would be actually real high resolution. Mark Waldrep's AIX records comes to mind.

He's known for criticising old catalogue high-res audio as a scam and that the real benefits of DSD can only come to fruition with making the music in hi-res to begin with. I've posted his interviews here.

There was a time when magnetic tape was high resolution, or shellac, or vinyl. Time marches on.

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. Second best time is today. - old Chinese proverb

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts