Moving house - please help choosing some old school gear!

iainwilliams1

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys,I'm new to this but here it goes...

I'm soon to be moving house and will finally have the space and some (limited) funds to get myself some gear. I quite like the sound of my Dad's set-up so I'll give you a list of what he's got:

Marantz CD-65 MkII SE

Creek 4040s Amp

B & W DM602 S3 speakers

Budget is probably £200 Max. for cdp and amp. I'll see what I have left to blow on speakers after that. I'm quite into retro stuff, and quite like the sound and vibe of late 80s/early 90s Japanese stuff, plus it seems pretty good value. It doesn't necessarily have to be mind-blowing, just something pretty decent for the money.

I've done a bit of research on cdp's, and will give you a list of stuff for sale nearby that has taken my fancy:

Marantz CD-65 MkII SE like my dad's

Marantz CD-50

Marantz cd-56;

Marantz CD-63 MKII KI

Rotel RCD-855

Phillips CD371

Arcam Alpha +

I'm probably swaying between the first two as it stands. Any thoughts?

As for amplifiers should I try and find a Creek? I was also thinking of going for a technics. I know they aren't the best thing ever but they are quite cheap and my mate has a su-a600 and I quite like it. Nearby there is a Technics SU-a600 mk3 and an SU-a700mk3. Also saw a very cheap SU-470. Any thoughts?

As for speakers, any suggestions for quite cheap (preferrably bookshelf) late80s/mid90s would be much appreciated, although I don't know my budget for them yet.

Many thanks!

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
iainwilliams1 said:
Hi guys,I'm new to this but here it goes...

I'm soon to be moving house and will finally have the space and some (limited) funds to get myself some gear. I quite like the sound of my Dad's set-up so I'll give you a list of what he's got:

Marantz CD-65 MkII SE

Creek 4040s Amp

B & W DM602 S3 speakers

Budget is probably £200 Max. for cdp and amp. I'll see what I have left to blow on speakers after that. I'm quite into retro stuff, and quite like the sound and vibe of late 80s/early 90s Japanese stuff, plus it seems pretty good value. It doesn't necessarily have to be mind-blowing, just something pretty decent for the money.

I've done a bit of research on cdp's, and will give you a list of stuff for sale nearby that has taken my fancy:

Marantz CD-65 MkII SE like my dad's

Marantz CD-50

Marantz cd-56;

Marantz CD-63 MKII KI

Rotel RCD-855

Phillips CD371

Arcam Alpha +

I'm probably swaying between the first two as it stands. Any thoughts?

As for amplifiers should I try and find a Creek? I was also thinking of going for a technics. I know they aren't the best thing ever but they are quite cheap and my mate has a su-a600 and I quite like it. Nearby there is a Technics SU-a600 mk3 and an SU-a700mk3. Also saw a very cheap SU-470. Any thoughts?

As for speakers, any suggestions for quite cheap (preferrably bookshelf) late80s/mid90s would be much appreciated, although I don't know my budget for them yet.

Many thanks!

Hi,

Out of your choice of CDP's I used to own the Marantz CD63 MKII and would highly recommend it.

As for amps, if you can find a Creek for your budget, you won't be disappointed.

Speakers, well to be honest, if you can, it would be best to have a decent budget for these. As important the amp and CDP are, you will hear the most difference with the choice of speaker.

Sit tight, I'm sure there will be plenty of good/better advice to come.

Mac

iainwilliams1

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your help guys!

Mac: I was planning on spending a bit more on speakers; I was just waiting to see how cheap I can get the amp and cdp before figuring out what my budget is.

As for the Creek, I've found one going for a reasonable price. The only thing is it's lack of inputs. My Dad runs his cdp and turntable through the cd and disc inputs, then his telly through the tuner input. Seems like I will probably do the same thing, although this might become a problem if I decide to get a radio tuner also.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
If you've got the TV running through the amp, don't forget you'll probably have radio channels on there, so no need for a tuner.

Keep us posted how you get on.

Mac

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts