Mounting Plasma on Wall

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello

I am having a new fire fitted and as a result the chimney breast needs to be re-plastered. In the next 6 months I am hoping to buy a plasma and would like to mount it there and hopefully have the leads and cables hidden behind the plaster. As i don't want to damage the new plaster in a few months time I am thinking of installing the wiring now but would like some advice on this. I will be getting sky hd and I own a ps3 and a Aego P5 surround sound system. I am i right in thinking that all I have to wire in is 2 HDMI cables (ps3+skyHD) and a power supply and the wire for the centre speaker? I would also like to know if most plasma's use the same IEC connection(kettle type)

Thanks in advance

John

daveh75

professorhat:
I'd be more worried about your plasma than your plaster - mounting it above a fireplace which is going to be in use is probably not a good idea I would suggest...

Totally agree,not the best idea if the fire is going to be used,and secondly you'll probably have to mount it far too high(to accommodate fire) for decent viewing and end up with a sore neck.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your quick replies

The fire surround is quite low down and the fire does not give off that much heat, its more a decorative fire place. Do you think this is still a bad idea? Can plasma's not withstand any heat at all?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
It's a tricky one to call - extra heat isn't a good thing for any electrical product really and given heat rises, putting the plasma over the fire means it's going to have to work extra hard to cool itself. The instructions of the plasma manual will tell you the recommended operating temperature, but the trouble is you'll need to have had the fire installed to find out exactly what sort of temperature is kicking out above it.

Given that your warranty will be null and void if anything does go wrong with the plasma as a result of the heat from the fire, I personally wouldn't risk it. But ultimately it's your call.

If you decide it's worth the risk, to answer the original question, so long as you're not intending to have anything else put in, looks like you've got the leads covered (most TVs do use a standard kettle type plug). I'm guessing you're going to wall mount the centre below the TV as well so that's why you're wiring in the centre that way? How about a RCA phono / digital optical (if the TV has an optical out) for connection into the Aego P5 so you can have TV sound through this system as well? Some people also wire in extra cables e.g. SCART, component etc. in case they ever get a component which requires this connection in future - up to you again.

A

Anonymous

Ok thanks again. Looks like the tv is staying in the corner

TRENDING THREADS