most recent upgrade ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Not an upgrade but picked up a Cyrus Hark MK1 5tier rack for the price of a few drinks out.

It won't sound different but it sure will look nicer.

regards

U

unknown

singslinger - thanks for getting thread back on topic !

anybody else ?

tim92gts

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
Got a NAD 4020 yesterday for £19-99 on flea bay for the bathroom system.

Was tempted by an old TEAC with more dials but sense ruled.

Hopefully it'll arrive next week.

Usually i just plug the phone into it but rather like the whole randomness of radio.

davidvann

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
hi all my latest up dates are ,clearer audio siver line optimus power chord,clearer audio copper power mainsblock and clearer audio siverline optimus ref ,speaker links,to which i very pleased with.i know i know the mains thing again,no doubt someone going to rib me lol.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
davidvann said:
hi all my latest up dates are ,clearer audio siver line optimus power chord,clearer audio copper power mainsblock and clearer audio siverline optimus ref ,speaker links,to which i very pleased with.i know i know the mains thing again, no doubt someone going to rib me lol.

Not me, as I'm probably to blame for suggesting you try it in the first place. :silenced:

Welcome to the darkside.

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Evening all. :wave:

Not really an upgrade, more a companion to my other equipment, a Naim CD5i cd player in perfect condition, purchased off ebay for £450 just before new year, been looking for a while but always seemed to miss out through bidding too much too early, have not connected it up yet as waiting for most recent item won in bid on Monday, a Merlin Cables Scorpion mains lead, retail price £500, my winning bid was £150, bargain.

I know someone will say why pay that amount for a mains lead, but it's my money and I'll do what I want with it. :)

Happy listening

:bounce:

davidvann

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
hi cno,thanks for your tip with clearer audio u got me hooked lol,i only live 15 mins away from darren so i have had the pleasure to meet darren and watch him put the cables together he is a perfectionist , andhe really knows his stuff .i also heard his system which sounds fab,i do like the wilson benesh speakers he has,such a great sound from a small speaker like the kef L50 .cheers david

U

unknown

hello davidvann, thanks for your input !

can i ask what is darren (from clearer audio) system ? source, amp(s) equipment supports ?

thanks again

U

unknown

the above should say amps(s)........not sure why that picture has appeared !

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
mikefarrow said:
the above should say amps(s)........not sure why that picture has appeared !

It's a pain, innit? It happens when you type an "s" followed by a ")", which is then turned into this lunatic emoticon...

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
@mike: sorry to take your thread off-topic... again!

@davidvann: intriguing system you have! Tell us more - particularly interested in the speakers! (maybe a new thread with a nice, little review? :) )

:cheers:

davidvann

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
hi,mike darren has name uni nait cyrus dac px8 i think he said ,wilson benesh arc speakers,the cable were all his own of course lol which i was surprised ,he only used his lower end cables(copper line) on his system,it sounded very detailed ,i really liked the sound ,the stand i dont think was known brand.darren changes system from time to time and next change would be a new dac. sorry mike i know it's not the greatest review ,but it's the best i can remeber.cheers david

davidvann

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
hi doc g,well were do i start,well my system is about six or so years old not a spring chicken lol,the speakers are kochel horn speaker ,i bought them from castle sound and vision in nottingham along with my power amp,dragging my wife all the way from essex just for a demo,my speaker are warm natural very detailed they are very easy to to drive 98 efficient ,you can really push them hard and iv'e never heard them struggle,my power amp is a class a monachy 20 watts per channel again very detailed it's hard to describe if you know what i mean, to me it just sounds right ,not every bodys cup of tea,my pride and joy is my klyne 7 pre amp its old but it still whoops some the new kids on the block lol.my rack is a rdc clearaspect rack which i paid £700 but now have gone in price which im surprised about.if you look on my system on the whf i have done some pictures of my system you might have to go back a few pages to find it.sorry i'm not very good at doing reivews ,its hard to discribe a sound in words.hope this helps a bit.thanks for showing intrest in my system.david

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
davidvann said:
hi doc g,well were do i start,well my system is about six or so years old not a spring chicken lol,the speakers are kochel horn speaker ,i bought them from castle sound and vision in nottingham along with my power amp,dragging my wife all the way from essex just for a demo,my speaker are warm natural very detailed they are very easy to to drive 98 efficient ,you can really push them hard and iv'e never heard them struggle,my power amp is a class a monachy 20 watts per channel again very detailed it's hard to describe if you know what i mean, to me it just sounds right ,not every bodys cup of tea,my pride and joy is my klyne 7 pre amp its old but it still whoops some the new kids on the block lol.my rack is a rdc clearaspect rack which i paid £700 but now have gone in price which im surprised about.if you look on my system on the whf i have done some pictures of my system you might have to go back a few pages to find it.sorry i'm not very good at doing reivews ,its hard to discribe a sound in words.hope this helps a bit.thanks for showing intrest in my system.david

Thanks for that! I'll have a look in the 'your system' dept.

You seem to be into music more than into the whole hifi thing (and that's a quality you should cherish :) )

:cheers:

U

unknown

davidvann, thanks for detailing darrens system. always interested to know what, in this case, a cable manufacturer uses.

surprised he does not use his most expensive/top of the range silver cables ?

surely as he owns the company, he would use the best/most expensive items he makes ? if not who is expected to purchase them ?

its strange how some cable companies say cables should be used to tune a system hence a cheaper copper model will match certain systems better than the said companies more expensive silver models.

the other alternative advice is as better cables preserve the signal more faithfully, buy the best/most expensive model you can afford........

thanks again

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
mikefarrow said:
anybody else treated themselves over xmas ?

Yeah - Sennheiser HD-650... wonderful! and a Monitor Audio ASB-2 that replaces the 20 year old Linn speakers/Rega Brio amp. Sounds better, less cable, more floor space but it's got a really shltty remote for a piece of kit that costs a grand.

davidvann

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
hi mike,i think darren uses his level entry cables,to show people what can be achived sound wise with his modest cables,i know also does the hifi shows where he works wilson benesh speaker company,that only use cables at the shows.i'm sure it's not about the cost of the cables as he is happy to demo his top line cables to anyone who wants to hear. i know darren last system was the top of the range naim system but says he does chop and change his system quite often.have you ever tryed clearer audio cable mike ,or do you stear clear of cable upgrade thing.cheers david

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts