Most outlandish speakers of all time?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
While I was listening to my hifi this morning I remembered what were my dream speakers when I was a teenager - the mighty Infinity Reference V. Found this link of some piccies:

http://www.infinity-classics.de/infinity/models/IRS-series+Beta+Gamma-Delta-Sigma-Epsilon-1988-95-98/IRS/body_irs.html

One or two of these sets must have made it to the UK I assume. Wonder if any are still around....

Have there ever been bigger more impractical speakers than these? (Excepting those used for rock festivals of course!)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Wilson Audio have been having a good laugh for about the last 30 years....

http://www.wilsonaudio.com/product/alexandria/gallery.php

(Remember the WAMM's?)

There are countless 'Frankenstein's Monster type speakers around with various giant horns and Ziggurats and goodness only knows what else for Americans with too much money. Usually designed to be used with 2 watts per channel valve amps that cost about the same and record players with so many isolation layers that you need a stepladder to put on an LP.

A

Anonymous

Wow - now they're ugly!! They look as if they would attack you when you sat down to listen to them...

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
images

emotion-8.gif

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
And who hasn't tried the headless dog speakers. Sure their great for home theater, but for serious 2 channel listening you need the giraffe version to get the tweeter at ear level. Besides, these can sound a litte ruff (oh no I didn't)...

headless-dog-speakers_48.jpg

A

Anonymous

beauhorn b2's are pretty odd-looking

624167_1.jpg

I can't really imagine wanting them in my house (on looks alone anyway...)

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Sonance's Rock outdoor speakers have always slightly puzzled me:

sonance_rock-speaker.jpg

Part Flintstones, part Pet Cemetery
emotion-42.gif

Fans of South Park may also appreciate this Kenny creation:

kenny-speaker.jpg

pwiles1968

Mar 22, 2009
Visit site
Can not find any photos now, B&W used to have a speaker I think through the Blue Room brand, it was designed by someone called Dah-Dah and they were called Dah-Dah Babies, the wide open mouth had a speaker in it and the speaker cable plugged in to the belly button like an umbilical chord, they actually looked really cool, wish I had some now.

A

Anonymous

I have the Infinity IRS Beta! Can't complain! Best speaker system i've ever heard.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts