Most listened-to album upon purchase/discovery

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

jjbomber

insider9 said:
Lets say it is in alphabetical order *pardon* and not mentioning more than album per performer.

I - ...

X - ...

Y - ...

Z - ...

Iced Earth - The Glorious Burden

Xandria - Theatre Of Dimensions

Y&T - Earthshaker, Mean Streak, Black Tiger. So many to choose from, great band.

ZZ Top - Eliminator, again spoilt for choice.

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Nitin Sawhney - Philtre

Peter Edwards Trio - A Matter of Instinct

Christian Scott - Introducing Christian Scott

Beck - Morning Phase

Melanie de Biasio - No Deal

Supertramp - Crime of the Century

Daft Punk - Tron Legacy (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)

Radiohead - Amnesiac

Rosalia de Souza - D'improvviso

The Cinematic Orchestra - The Crimson Wing: Mystery of the Flamingos

Hans Zimmer - Interstellar Motion Picture Soundtrack

Stevie Wonder - Innervisions

Jenny Penny Full - EOS

Fabiano do Nascimento - Tempo dos Mestres

Rachmaninov Piano Concerto No.1 (The Ashkenazy version)

I think if I'd had these on vinyl, I would have worn the records out! There is a certain something isn't there about songs that are immediately likeable but fade quickly as they have little substance once your brain has captured the tune compared with songs that have more depth that can withstand many repeated listens. Some of the above, like Tron is just the sheer fun factor involved that can be quite addictive, but others are you feel you never totally absorb everything the track has to offer, so you keep returning to discover new nuances.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Diamond Joe said:
P.s. to Paulq and DIB, I was verrry late finding PT, despite my cousin tipping me off many years ago, one of my better "discoveries" of the past few years. I'm just starting to explore Blackfield and Steven Wilson's solo work, he's a prolific chap I think he's recently remixed one of my favourite albums by Marillion: Brave.

He has indeed and what an album that is. I remember seeing Marillion 4 times on that tour because I was so blown away by the album and Steve Hogarth's performances elevated him to hero status in my book - amazing live. Their predecessors (Seasons End and Holidays in Eden) are also 2 big favourites but I don't think they have scaled the same heights since.

You have just reminded me to order the SW remix by the way
regular_smile.png

F

FunkyMonkey

Some great choices there and gives me ideas to explore or revisit those albums. Thanks

Romulus

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
My latest purchase 'obsession' is the Cd by Nightwish - End Of An Era Which is the recorded, I think last live concert with the original singer Tjara. For me it is superb and as yet I still play the two Cds constantly. The ironic thing was that after the concert she parted company with rest of the band. But one would never know this listening to the concert, on the contrary the chemistry between her singing and the rest of the band performance was electric. Reminds me of Deep Purple with all the ego infighting (mainly Ian Gillan and Ritchie Blackmore) where RB would travel independantly from rest of the band from gig to gig and stay in different hotels, but on stage there was this kind of electric chemistry and the atmosphere was always slightly tense in contrast to security and predictability.

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
insider9 said:
Lets say it is in alphabetical order *pardon* and not mentioning more than album per performer.

A - Alice in Chains "Unplugged" / AC/DC "Back in Black" / Allanis Morisette "Little Jagged Pill"

B - Beck "Sea Change" / Brad "Shame" / Bob Marley "Legend" / The Beatles "Revolver"

C - Chris Cornell "Euphoria Mourning" / Charles Mingus "Mingus Ah Um"

D - The Doors "The Doors" / Diana Krall "Girl in the Other Room"

E - Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong "Ella and Louis" / Esperanza Spalding "Junjo" / Eric Clapton "Unplugged"

F - Fleetwood Mac "Rumours"

G - Genesis "Selling England by the Pound" / Geen Day "Doukie" / Gregory Porter "Liquid Spirit" / Gotye "Making Mirrors"

H - Jimi Hendrix "Are You Experienced"

I - ...

J - Jeff Buckley "Grace" / Joni Mitchell "Blue" / Jethro Tull "Aqualung" / John Coltrane "Blue Train"

K - Kate Bush "Aerial"

L - Led Zeppelin "II"

M - Machine Head "The Burning Red" / Metallica "Master of Puppets" / Miles Davis "Milestones"

N - Nirvana "Nevermind" / Norah Jones "Come Away With Me"

O - Ornette Coleman "The Shape of Jazz to Come" / Opeth "Heritage" / Otis Redding "Otis Blue"

P - Peter Gabriel "So" / Pearl Jam "Yield" / PJ Harvey "Dry" / The Police "Zenyatta Mondatta"

Q - Queens of the Stoneage "Lullabies to Paralyze"

R - Rage Against the Machine "Rage Against the Machine" / Red Hot Chili Peppers "Blood Sugar Sex Magik" / R.E.M. "Automatic for the People"

S - Soundgarden "Superunknown" / System of a Down "Mezmerize"

T - Tracy Chapman "Tracy Chapman" / Temple of the Dog "Temple of the Dog" / Tool "Aenima"

U - U2 "The Joshua Tree"

V - Vanessa Carlton "Be Not Nobody"

W - The Who "Who's Next"

X - ...

Y - ...

Z - ...

Please suggest some albums to fill the blanks :) There must be some artists I'm yet to experience starting with letters I, X, Y and Z.

My favourite Yes album is Fragile

cheers tonky

Diamond Joe

Mar 1, 2008
Visit site
Paulq said:
He has indeed and what an album that is. I remember seeing Marillion 4 times on that tour because I was so blown away by the album and Steve Hogarth's performances elevated him to hero status in my book - amazing live. Their predecessors (Seasons End and Holidays in Eden) are also 2 big favourites but I don't think they have scaled the same heights since.

You have just reminded me to order the SW remix by the way
I'm in two minds about whether to order it, I love the original so much that I'm not sure I want to hear someone else's interpretation, even Steven Wilson's, decisions, decisions... You saw them 4 times on the same tour? Awesome. I'm going to see them in Cambridge on the 13th of April, can't wait, I haven't seen them since 2015 *dance4*

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts