more bass please

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

I hope my observations don't repeat too much of what's been said before, if so please excuse me.

First off, your set up is very nice, balanced and produces very pleasing reproduction of all sorts of music (I've heard it so I know).

Now where to go next depends a lot upon direction of travel and final destination - ie what are you really looking for from your hifi? Are you interested in utterly faithful reproduction from the engineer's desk/ your music to have a heavier, more meaty and realistic tone and texture/ do you want ultra detailed and superb sound-staging?

You get my point - hifi is a lot like ice-cream and comes in many flavours, and just because some-one else likes rum n' raisin doesn't mean that's the only ice cream in town!

A great deal of hifi as a hobby involves that most of us work to a budget and therefore there's going to be compromises or choices to be made about what is the priority for you in how you want your music to sound.

If I dangerously assume that you like how your current system sounds in terms of tone and character, you may like a bit more in terms of dynamics and bass weight then you might want to make some relativity cautious choices (veering off can be expensive and disappointing!).

So yes I'd look at speaker cable that lets a bit more through (don't know what you've got?) at first. Going pre/ power would definitely be my next step and adding a power amp (X power?) to your 8vs2 would provide additional drive and dynamics (done this myself and ended up with a preamp and Mono X blocks). If you look on Cyrusunofficial there's plenty of threads on the difference between pre - power and biamping with Cyrus kit.

Lastly, the most obvious thing to do is upgrade your speakers to RS5's etc'. I only suggest the Rega because of my previous assumption and as yet I don't know what it is you're finally after in terms of sonic character otherwise I'd suggest something else. As I said, what you've got but more of it, with greater slam and depth is my working assumption. So there's no point denying physics - get some bigger speakers! (not always but broadly true..)

Good luck, come back and post how you've got on.

A

Anonymous

first try repositioning the speakers ... if that does not work, then you may need different speakers ... that's my opinion ...

A

Anonymous

Gears of Law:

Unfortunately, my speakers are not bi-wireable so if i was to add an X power, my 8 would have to act as a pre as i couldn't bi-amp.

Would a dedicated preamp (e.g. preVs2) be much better than using my 8 as a preamp? Keeping the integrated would give me more flexibility if i decided to upgrade the speakers as I would have the option of either bi-amping (if i were to buy bi-wireable speakers) or keeping the pre/power setup. Which of these methods (pre/power or bi-amped) would produce the best sound in your opinion?

Someone from the trade or Cyrus will be here soon to beat me round the head with a soggy copy of last month's WhatHifi, no doubt, but I think the pre-amp stage in the integrated 8VS2 is exactly the same as in the PreVS2, so no point in "upgrading" really, unless you get one of the new pre-amps with the built in DAC or if it's an older model integrated 8, of course, in which case I'd flog the thing on Fleabay and buy one of the new pre-amps with the built in DAC.

As for sound, pre/power vs bi-amped, sound quality is very subjective as your speakers and room (and musical taste) will probably have more influence, but bi-amped gives you two power amps for loudness and oomph factors.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Darren Heal:Someone from the trade or Cyrus will be here soon to beat me round the head with a soggy copy of last month's WhatHifi, no doubt, but I think the pre-amp stage in the integrated 8VS2 is exactly the same as in the PreVS2, so no point in "upgrading" really, unless you get one of the new pre-amps with the built in DAC or if it's an older model integrated 8, of course, in which case I'd flog the thing on Fleabay and buy one of the new pre-amps with the built in DAC.

Yup, you're right!

Even IF the pre-amp stage of the 8vs2 was the same as a Pre-vs2, there's still quite a difference. In the 8vs there's a larger transformer which is sitting nice and close to all that pre-amp circuitry that is dealing with very low level signals. In a dedicated pre-amp, the transformer is designed to suit a specific purpose, not to be as big as possible in order to drive speakers. I've said many timed before, that an integrated amplifier acting as a pre-amp won't match a dedicated pre-amp, and this is the same with the Cyrus, so the long term goal is to chnge the 8vs2 for one of their dedicated pre-amps, after adding something like an X-Power.

I'm still standing by my recommendations that I made in my first post of this thread.

A

Anonymous

Well, as if you haven't already had enough recommendations by now! I won't make a recommendation but there's a pair of Rega RS5 on ebay from a good retailer.

A

Anonymous

igglebert:Well, as if you haven't already had enough recommendations by now! I won't make a recommendation but there's a pair of Rega RS5 on ebay from a good retailer.

Hi

I have a similar setup to you 8vs2, R3 and Chameleon Silver Plus and i would recommend the R5's if you have the room etc, i'm guessing you do as they are not miles bigger than your R3's. I have heard both speakers and can honestly say that if you like the R3's (which you state you do) then try the R5's. They bring everything the R3's do, but with more oomph. I have heard them in my system so can give an opinion on their character. The only reason i went for the R3's at the time was a budget restraint. I think you would be very happy with them.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
As far as bassy cables, I can heartily recommend Oyaide Tunami Nigo speaker cable and Tunami GPX power cables, but I'm not sure they are available in the UK and prices seem obscene outside of Japan (somthing close to 100 euro/USD per metre). They've turned my system from being lean and quite analytical to having deeper richer bass and a lusher middrange without a loss of detail or any particular colouration, although I have sacrificed some of the air around performers/strands of the music.

T

the record spot

Would strongly recommend changing whichever component is causing the bass issue before going down the £75 a metre speaker cable route (as the Tunami Nigo is priced) - 10m would cost you £750. £750 will get you some excellent speakers (Rega, Monitor Audio, etc), 5m would set you back £375 and that gets you some Q Acoustics 2050s or some used 1050i and either of which will deliver what you want with ease. With respect to ID, I'd seek out more info on the purpose of cable and splash the dosh on whichever speaker brand appeals.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
the record spot:Would strongly recommend changing whichever component is causing the bass issue before going down the £75 a metre speaker cable route (as the Tunami Nigo is priced) - 10m would cost you £750. £750 will get you some excellent speakers.

RS is right, the return on the money is completely wrong. Better spending it on components. At around the 30 pound per metre price, they are a bit on the pricey side, but could be considered, but at double the price, I'd definitely be looking at buying kit rather than cable.

Sabby

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi:
As I've mentioned, it's the integrated amplifiers that suffer from the 'thinness', not the pre/powers.

That's a very broad statement to make. I don't think whether an amplifier is an integrated or pre/power that makes a difference, but the quality of the amplifier. There are a lot of good integrated amps that sound far better than many pre/power amps. Whether its an integrated or pre/power doesn't have anything to do with sound quality.

a.g.

May 30, 2008
Visit site
I'd buy a few budget interconnects and power cables on eBay and spend a while mixing and matching those, then you'll be able to know for sure whether it's your components letting you down.

If nothing else you'll have fun and spend time tweaking your system while you save up for electronics/speaker upgrades.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts