Mordaunt Short Ms20 speakers

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have a pair of Mordaunt Short MS20 speakers purchased around 1982, Marantz Cd player from 1992 and Marantz amplifier which is about 4 years old. Overall I have no complaints about the sound, its almost as good as when I bought it all. But since the speakers are nearly 30 years old perhaps its time to retire them?

If I bought modern speakers how much would I need to spend before I really noticed the difference and didn't yearn for my dear old MS20s?

Can't answer your second question because I've no idea what those MSs sound like. However, I have 30 year old pair of Wharfedales which get an airing every now and then and they sound fine. As long as the cones are sound they should carry on for years.

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I agree, if you like the sound still and the drivers and everything else are in working order you would probably need to spend quite a bit more on new ones for a noticable step up (judging by reviews if seen so far). I think Chebby had the Pearl Editions and liked them very much.

An alternative to new is to go for a different second hand speaker and that way you will be spending less and won't lose any money if you wish to re-sell. You can then compare/contrast easily in your own home environment and also with your MS 20's.

Another alternative is to take your current speakers along for comparison when you buy some new ones.

A

Anonymous

Thank you both for your comments.

I've owned the speakers for 30 years because I've loved the sound. Sometimes when I turn up the volume I think there is a bit of high frequency distortion, otherwise I think they are as good as new.

I wondered if technology had moved on leaps and bounds since I purchsed them. To the point that for say £200 I could get a set of speakers that would make MS20s the equivelent of black and white TV compared with modern 3D HD colour.

Looking around at various internet forums it seems advances have been made in making smaller speakers rather than improving sound quality to any significant level. Both of your comments add a little weight to my view on this. So for now I'll stick with what I've got.

All hail the MS20!!

doctorrock

Jun 26, 2008
Visit site
I still use my MS20i Pearls (along with MS10i Pearl rears and a MS T1000 centre) which I've had for about 12 years (ish) - they still sound great and if you like the sound why spend the dosh?

oldears said:
Thank you both for your comments.

I've owned the speakers for 30 years because I've loved the sound. Sometimes when I turn up the volume I think there is a bit of high frequency distortion, otherwise I think they are as good as new.

I wondered if technology had moved on leaps and bounds since I purchsed them. To the point that for say £200 I could get a set of speakers that would make MS20s the equivelent of black and white TV compared with modern 3D HD colour.

Looking around at various internet forums it seems advances have been made in making smaller speakers rather than improving sound quality to any significant level. Both of your comments add a little weight to my view on this. So for now I'll stick with what I've got.

All hail the MS20!!

There are differences between old and modern... the word "difference" rather than better. Modern speakers, from personal experience, are a little more accurate in tonal qualities are, generally, not always, dig up slightly more detail, but can lack a certain initmacy of sound, compared to the older versions.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
doctorrock said:
I still use my MS20i Pearls (along with MS10i Pearl rears and a MS T1000 centre) which I've had for about 12 years (ish) - they still sound great and if you like the sound why spend the dosh?

A pair of MS20i Pearl Edition speakers are a completely different loudspeaker to the MS20s the OP has. The MS20i Pearls were a limited edition designed from scratch by Robin Marshall the founder/designer of Epos (MS still owned Epos at that time in 1998) with totally different bass/mid drivers and tweeters compared to the older 'stock' MS20.

I know this because my brother still uses 30(ish) year-old MS20s and I have a pair of MS20i Pearl Editions in a box under our stairs* - having used them successfully with a Naim system for six months until very recently.

They simply don't compare.

However, the good news for the OP is that MS20i Pearl Editions would be an excellent and very cost effective upgrade and well worth waiting for a really good pair to come along.

*Don't worry (moderators) I am not 'promoting' mine. They are not for sale.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
As your speakers are reasonably old, it may be worth checking that the screws around the tweeter and woofer haven't come loose.

If your speaker cable is also old (which it may not be), check the connections at either end aren't corroded.

I too have speakers kicking about from that period (Celestion SL6) which are great.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts