Monitor Audio RS6 package

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi

I was in Sevenoaks recently and I tested out the Monitor Audio RS6 AV package and I was impressed. I might buy it (still a few other options on the table from Dali, B&W and System Audio) but the RS FX surround speakers mightn't suit my living room as they have to be wall mounted. I was considering going with the RS1 speakers as rears but the guy there said it would be massive overkill as they were too powerful for rears. He suggested getting the BR1 speakers instead which is a step down in class. Would this strangle the system or would it be perfectly fine?

Oh and I'm also looking for a suitable amp to go with these if anyone can recommend anything...

A

Anonymous

Not sure about the speakers, but i recently brought the Yamaha DSP AX-763 Amp (£330) from my local Sevenokes, it's an excelent Amp! I will be upgrading my current Sony Speakers for the KEF 2005.3

A

Anonymous

The Yamaha you mentioned might be a little underpowered for these and the Onkyo is an older model, I don't think they still sell it. But going back to question 1, will it still be fine with some lower-classed rears? I was told that they only handle about 15% of all sound so I'm not sure...

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Ci4N:
Hi

I was in Sevenoaks recently and I tested out the Monitor Audio RS6 AV package and I was impressed. I might buy it (still a few other options on the table from Dali, B&W and System Audio) but the RS FX surround speakers mightn't suit my living room as they have to be wall mounted. I was considering going with the RS1 speakers as rears but the guy there said it would be massive overkill as they were too powerful for rears. He suggested getting the BR1 speakers instead which is a step down in class. Would this strangle the system or would it be perfectly fine?

Oh and I'm also looking for a suitable amp to go with these if anyone can recommend anything...

I had the same problem. Buy the Monitor Audio Radius 90 HD speakers (I have the R90s before the HD ones came out). They are like mini versions of the RS1s and come with a wall bracket to boot. They have the right synergy with Silver package and are very discreet.

A

Anonymous

I actually considered that but from a design point of view, they're very different to the rest of the Silver package. Don't get me wrong, they are nice sounding speakers (I gave them a go) but I'd prefer if they all matched is all which I could do with the Silver and Bronze if I choose the same finish. Also, I'm more looking for bookshelf type speakers that can be put on stands since that's what fits best.

Edit: Sorry, got mixed up with the R90s and the R180s. Can the R90s come in various finishes?

A

Anonymous

If you can afford the RS1's go for it! They would be as easy to drive i guess as the BR1's and a better speaker to boot! I know what the salesman was saying, That you maybe dont need speakers quite that good for rears but imo if you can afford them get them.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Ci4N:
I actually considered that but from a design point of view, they're very different to the rest of the Silver package. Don't get me wrong, they are nice sounding speakers (I gave them a go) but I'd prefer if they all matched is all which I could do with the Silver and Bronze if I choose the same finish. Also, I'm more looking for bookshelf type speakers that can be put on stands since that's what fits best.

Edit: Sorry, got mixed up with the R90s and the R180s. Can the R90s come in various finishes?

Yes, mine are in walnut like my RS6s, RSLCR and RSW12.

A

Anonymous

You could say that but looking at it realisticly, the RS1s costed 3 times as much as the BR1s. If they barely get used at all, what's the point?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Ci4N:You could say that but looking at it realisticly, the RS1s costed 3 times as much as the BR1s. If they barely get used at all, what's the point?

The R90s are about £200-£275 a pair (if you get my ones or the new HD ones). They look great, match the colour of your other speakers and do more than just do a job - they sound great.

A

Anonymous

Gerrardasnails:Ci4N:You could say that but looking at it realisticly, the RS1s costed 3 times as much as the BR1s. If they barely get used at all, what's the point?

The R90s are about £200-£275 a pair (if you get my ones or the new HD ones). They look great, match the colour of your other speakers and do more than just do a job - they sound great.

Sorry, I was directing my comment toward garethwd. That's not a bad price on the Radiuses. I'll look into it.

So howabout a matching amp? Any suggestions?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Ci4N: Hi

You'll need to be looking at something like the Yamaha RXV1900, Onkyo 876 or equivalent really for the RS package. Floorstanding hi-fi speakers that produce a fair amount of bass need an amp with a degree of control, as well a bit of current behind it.

A

Anonymous

I was considering the RXV1900 alright, I thought the 3900 would be overpowered. Anything else from other manufacturers like Rotel, Pioneer, Sony or Denon that I might want to look at either?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The 3900 wouldn't be overpowered - you could go to a Z7 and still get a worthwhile benefit. Personally, I don't believe in the word 'overpowered'. Underpowering is an issue, but overpowering isn't - as long as the speakers give you the volume you want, it's fine.

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi:The 3900 wouldn't be overpowered - you could go to a Z7 and still get a worthwhile benefit. Personally, I don't believe in the word 'overpowered'. Underpowering is an issue, but overpowering isn't - as long as the speakers give you the volume you want, it's fine.

Ah well, I mean it's just that it's a bit expensive. I think I'd be more looking for something around the 1k mark. The demo room actually had a Z11 being used and it sounded brilliant. I'm just wondering if any other companies are making comparable amps that I might want to look into.

Tom Moreno

Nov 30, 2008
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi:The 3900 wouldn't be overpowered - you could go to a Z7 and still get a worthwhile benefit. Personally, I don't believe in the word 'overpowered'. Underpowering is an issue, but overpowering isn't - as long as the speakers give you the volume you want, it's fine.

The man is very right on this point. Quality speakers can be driven at over 300% of rated power safely. Lot's of very large live sound arrays are driven at exactly that kind of ratio. Just be mindful that your child doesn't turn the volume know all the way to full before you switch inputs to a source that's already playing!