Monitor Audio R One HD versus R225HDS

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

KeithT

Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
Leeps said:
bigboss said:
Although technically it's not a soundbar. It needs an amplifier.

Quite agreed BigBoss, but the cost of my amp and Radius One was about the same as a Yamaha YSP-2200 (which my father owns). I know which I prefer! It may not have the 'pretend rear effects' but it has a nice clean punchy sound, something that the Yamaha doesn't have. In fact, the Yammy has turned into an expensive paperweight because parents don't see an improvement over TV sound!! £800 is a lot of money to spend when the results are so poor. Not sure how it managed such rave reviews.

Wow, surprised about the comment. I've owned/used a 2200 and thought that at times the soundstage was staggering. Admittedly you have to go into the control panel and tweak the sound but with movies it is far and away soooo much better than a TV and does a pretty good impression of 5.1. With music it's a bit ho hum in my view.

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
I speak as I find - I know there are many happy buyers of the YSP-2200, but my parents weren't among them, and from my experience with it, I had to agree.

I think it does depend on the room a great deal - they have a very large open-ended lounge that goes into two other open plan areas, so they needed sizeable floorstanders and a hefty amp really rather than a slimline soundbar.

On a different note, might I ask how your Roksan blends with the Radius? I know our amps are very different beasts indeed, but in theory, I think the Roksan's balance (from memory) ought to balance much better than my Cambridge. You experience would be appreciated.

TRENDING THREADS